22542Re: [WarOf1812] Authenticity question

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Sep 2, 2004
      In a message dated 02/09/2004 01:55:11 Central Standard Time,
      peter.catley@... writes:

      Tim's considered response is the correct one "officially permitted" what we
      don't know and cannot know is the extent that variations were tolerated,
      either by Regiments or even on overseas stations.

      You are quite correct Peter, however there is one foreign station that we DO
      have full details for and that is Gibralta 1803. Those regulations are
      exactly what was enforced in the UK. We also know that the army in North America
      (or at least the Peninsular vets) were most offended by Sir George Preevost's
      insistance that all the dress regulations etc. be adhered to after being used
      to Wellingtons idea that a clean weapon and a full amunition pouch was all
      that was nessasary. Though it is certainly known that Wellington disliked
      beards.

      It depends what a soldier was doing as to wether some of these regulations
      were followed and you can be certain that while they might have been ignored
      during periods of fighting, the long periods of boredom would be filled with
      shaving and mending.

      BTW At the Grand Tactical Doug De Croix modeled his British Officer in the
      Peninsula kit, absolutely splendid impression and virtualy not one item of
      regulation kit in it. However one thing I always insisted on in the early days
      of the NA (and still think aproprate today) is that the new recruit gets full
      dress kit first, it has been my experience that if someone finds they can take
      the field in a makeshift get up when they start they have no incentive to
      get the other kit together. But that is a regimental call.