21605Re: white belts

  • cpl_kings_own
    May 27, 2004
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "colsjtjones2000"
      <colsjtjones2000@y...> wrote:
      > Another suggestion, which I have used on my more than 20 years old
      > belting. Wipe the dirt/marks off with a moistened rag. Apply a
      > light coating of Kiwi white shoe polish. (I find Kiwi is not as
      > thick as others on the market and at all costs you want to prevent
      > build up which cracks over the years.) When dry lightly brush
      with a
      > suede brush. That also reduces build up. It does give a slight
      > sheen, which I suppose the farbys would denigrate. (snip)

      Actually the pipeclay was supposed to have a semi-glazed finish due
      to the material known as "blue stone" added to it (not sure what it
      is known as today), as an attempt at making pipeclay water-
      resistant.

      A good substitute for pipeclay nowadays is outdoor semi-gloss white
      (or buff) latex paint. The only difference is the carrier, latex,
      which makes the coating permanent. Otherwise, this paint is
      basically liquid pipeclay.

      If the paint cracks, I just put some medium grade sandpaper on a
      wood block and go over the painted sides of crossbelts after having
      laid them out on a table. I get the paint sanded down so that it is
      at the same level of the cracks, and repaint, good as new.

      Or, additionally, one could use real pipeclay, if one can find it.

      Roger Fuller
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic