21600Re: [WarOf1812] white belts

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    May 27, 2004
      In a message dated 5/27/04 4:21:20 PM, howardsimcoe@... writes:

      > Now that we know how they did in Afganistan.
      > How would one whitten cross belts and not have it come off on our red
      > coats???
      >
      > HOWARD

      It did come off on the coats! The soldiers knew exactly how much to put on to
      whiten the belts without it comming off too badly. As soon as they came off
      parade they brushed their uniforms untill they were clean. Much of the time of
      a soldier in barracks was taken up in maintaining kit, there was no magic
      formula by which a soldier looked smart or 'soldierly' it was constant hard slog,
      nothing more. It is amazing how good a body can look if the whole of ones day
      is spent on drill and maintaining kit!