      > From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
      > Date: 2004/04/05 Mon AM 10:28:12 EST
      > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] The "C" in Welch
      >
      > "Larry Lozon" wrote:

        Commander Hobbs is a WELCHMEN !
      (note spelling ...)

      From: "debsfuller" <debsfuller@...>

                 He makes grape juice?
      ----------------

          For  Deb et al:

            The "C" in Welch

         In 1702, the spelling "Welch" was common usage, but was swept away during
      the 18th Century by "Welsh". The Royal Welch Fusiliers
      (23d Regiment of Foot)Regiment, however, stuck resolutely to the old
      spelling, although it was not until 1920 that they persuaded the War Office
      to agree with them.  "Welch" has been used by most Welsh Regiments.

      http://www.cwreenactors.com/%7Ecrimean/23ddoc.htm

      I believe the juice company used the spelling as a retail ploy!

      Yh&os

      L2
      Sapere Aude