      From: suthren@... [mailto:suthren@...]
      Sent: 01 February 2004 18:20
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] M & C

      Another log on the fire about M&C's accuracy. A British historical colleague
      surprisingly observed to me that in his opinion M&C displays, from his point
      of view, not a British warship's society but a unrestrained, Aussie
      jolly-cobbers-together atmosphere, and Diggers trying to portray Brits but
      failing; that Patrick O'Brian's writing is very nice, but all Celtic
      convolutions (even though "O'Brian" was of Anglo-German background) and
      romantic, self-conscious preciousness; but that if one wants to sense what
      it was like in an accurately ENGLISH warship---including the sense of iron
      self-discipline, restraint and reserve---one still can't beat Forester and
      the Hornblower books. That same sense of deep restraint---a quality very
      difficult for us colonials to portray accurately and with proper balance,
      I'd agree---so idiosyncratic of the British during and since the Georgian
      era was in, for example, 'Pride and Prejudice', with Colin Firth and
      Jennifer Ehle. Too bad M&C hadn't been made by those producers or by
      Marchant & Ivory. Perhaps the best people to make films about Brits are
      Brits....

      What say you, mates?

      Yours aye
      Vic Suthren