19779Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie

  • PEGGY Mathews
    Dec 2, 2003
      Though started by me somewhat tongue in cheek, I think that many of the
      ideas put forth, while having merit wouldn't sell. A naval battle would be
      too confusing to portray on the screen I fear. Ship to ship allows the
      viewer to keep track of things, but a "fleet" action would be very difficult
      to portray and keep the viewers interest high, and frustration level low.

      The various massacres probably wouldn't sell in the politically correct
      environment. Now if you could somehow turn them into Arab Terrorists, then
      you've got a winner. :-P

      The Niagara campaign of 1814 has a lot going for it. Action, intrigue,
      dynamic personalities, etc. Might go, but Hollywood would probably put some
      hokey thing at the end. "Everybody, high-five!"

      Problem is, our viewing audience (ticket buyers) is so ignorant of the
      history that you could loudly proclaim "The Siege of Fort Meigs and Battle
      of the Thames!" and they would go, "huh?" Add in Tecumseh and some would
      respond. Getting a studio to bankroll an attempt would require some name
      recognition. Either big stars, or Orcs. ;-)

      Of course, they could always remake "The Buccaneer." (Ducking for cover)

      Michael M.

      "The only thing better than chocolate, is more chocolate!"

      >From: <suthren@...>
      >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Movie
      >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:11:28 -0500
      >
      >Dave
      >
      >Good thoughts. Another dramatic one---that would honor everyone---might be
      >something ending with the courageous stalemate at Lundy's Lane, where
      >British, American, and Canadian infantry gave all that valor could ask, to
      >tragic but admirable draw.
      >
      >Vic

      (snip)

      online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start
      at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
      by service area.)
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic