18644Re: General WIlliam Henry Harrison in Michigan

  • Steve
    Aug 4, 2003
      Yesterday five us (with permission) took our metal detectors to a
      private property near Saline to hunt for artifacts from a (rumored)
      War of 1812 winter encampment of William Henry Harrison's soldiers.

      One of our group was an experienced artifact hunter -- and had we
      found anything it would have been marked and calls for professionals
      to come in would have been made.

      We spent nearly three hours digging spots where the detectors said
      there was metal (until an afternoon rain chased us away). We had our
      detectors set on "all metal" so we uncovered quite a bit of scrap
      metal --- all from this century. We found nothing from the early
      1800s. Actually, the most valuable item we found was a 1974 penny.

      I suspect we were about a hundred feet off ---- but that area has
      heavy ground cover and is difficult to get into. We'll try again
      this fall when some of the leaves are gone.

      I'll keep you updated.

      Steve

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "K. J. Lindsey" <union47th@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <dogface1441@y...> wrote:
      > > Kevin:
      > > Thanks. The info corrresponds with my research....but there have
      > been
      > > references to a War of 1812 winter camp near Saline for decades -
      --

      > > some grape shot, and other items, were found in 1895 (according
      > an
      > > article in the local paper that year).
      > > I have permission from the landowner to do some excavation/metal
      > > detecting tomorrow ---if anything at all turns up we'll just
      mark
      > it
      > > (not remove it) and call in the professionals.
      > > I can keep you updated, if you wish.
      > > Steve
      >
      > Steve,
      > I will scrounge around some more to see if I can find anything
      > else, but please do keep us updated!
      >
      > Kevin
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic