18631Re:National Colours

  • john harris
    Aug 3, 2003
      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 09:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Robert White <whiteesq@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Brit line NOW Crown Forces of UC/NA
      >
      > For what its worth, it is my understanding that most
      > US units did not even have colors during the war of
      > 1812 and seldom was the national colours used as a
      > battle standard.

      Robert - Where did you get this idea? The "National Colours " at this time
      were not used like today . The "Stars and Stripes " was NOT the colour that
      was carried by units on field for identification . The "National Standard "
      for a regiment was solid blue silk coulour , with the national emblem on it
      , aka- eagle ,scroll ,etc., the regimental name would be underneath the
      emblem . The regimental colour would be almost identical , with the
      exception of the background colour . This would be white,
      " light tan", or yellow . If you get a chance , look at the print of the US
      infantry at the Battle of Chippawa . You will notice in the centre of the
      print is TA DA ... US REGIMENTAL COLOURS WITH A COLOUR PARTY AROUND THEM !!
      I believe it might even be the 21st US infantry being portrayed , but don't
      quote me on that right now ! ;^)

      > --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:
      > > Never happens up here in Canuckistan Benton. I
      > > don't know if I recall the US ever having Colours up
      > > hear. Would look great though!
      > >
      > > Fort Meigs 2004!

      Kevin - The 27th US Infantry ( Chattam area) has a set of colours that I
      have seen a couple of years ago at Longwoods . Yes colours are nice , but
      what we really need are SOLDIERS !!!

      Regards
      John Harris
      25th US Infantry , Whiting's Company