17449Re: [WarOf1812] Re: How The US Army Divisions Are Numbered?

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Apr 7, 2003
      In a message dated 4/7/2003 10:19:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
      sacbg7@... writes:

      > After the War of 1812 the American Infantry was
      > consolidated from 44 regiments to 8. The 7th INF
      > which served at New Orleans was "mustered for
      > selection" and some of its men went into the new 1st
      > INF. A new 7th was created by mustering for selection
      > men from the 8th, 20th and 39th INF. While the men
      > who originally served in the 7th regiment were now
      > assigned new units, the Regiment numbered "7"
      > continued to exist.

      I think this is a crucial point. Does the regiment have an existence of its
      own or not? The fact that all the men in a particular regiment get moved to
      others does not mean that a regiment looses its history as long as it
      continues to exist. On the other hand if a regiment has been abolished then
      for any other to claim its honours is rather like wearing someone else's
      medals. That said of course a regiment can be re-raised.