16647Re: Lundy's Lane, another point of view

  • ebclemson <ebclemson@webtv.net>
    Dec 27, 2002
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "alaidh <alaidh@y...>" <alaidh@y...> wrote:
      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "R Feltoe" <feltoe@r...> wrote:
      > > Dear List,
      > > Salutations to all, and the best for the upcoming year.
      > >
      > > Following up on earlier accounts for the Battle of Lundy's Lane, I thought some of you might be interested in the following.
      > >
      > > As part of my ongoing studies I was able to find an original (1816) copy of General James Wilkinson's "Memoirs of my own Times". This (3 volume) work contains material on the Rev War and our own 1812-1815 conflict. Thus far I have only transcribed one chapter, dealing with Lundy's Lane, but what an interesting read it makes.
      > >
      > > Wilkinson presents numerous letters and accounts of the battle he had received and goes in to great detail of analysing the quality of leadership provided by Gen Brown and Winfield Scott. Now, before I go any further, it should be understood that Wilkinson was no great shakes himself and is certainly not the kind of guy that one would trust with the regimental silver, if you know what I mean (he had more enquiries about financial irregularities than we've had hot dinners). Furthermore, he had a chip on his shoulder the size of a 24 lbr cannon against everyone from the President on down. Not even Cruikshank, at his myopic Canadian patriotic best, put out such vitriolic slagging as this American officer against his fellow commanders and even his Commander in Chief. There is also the fact that in the strict sense of things, while much of what he documents is directly from original letters, there is also 'heresay' comments that must be taken with a grain of salt.
      > >
      > > That being said, however, his contemporary experience as a military officer and detailed analysis of the battle and therefore, some of his conclusions, do bear further scrutiny and I wanted to put some of this before the group. If anyone has any SOLID background documentation on Wilkinson and his obvious bias against Brown and Scott, I would be interested to see it as I want to place the "testimony" in proper context.
      >
      > You might want to access the documentation concerning Wilkenson's
      > almost-court martial (avoided by resigning)...Brown was one of the
      > witnesses against him.
      >
      > Seems Wilkenson was also in the pay of the Spanish - I can gather up
      > the documentation for that, if you wish.
      >
      > Capabilty-wise, Wilkenson's military career indicates that by
      > comparison, Winder and Hull were military geniuses. there are several
      > good biographies of Wilkenson, complete with footnoted sources. all of
      > them indicate that he was an incompetant scoundrel, completely
      > dishonest and incapable of telling the truth. He was, however, very
      > politically connected.

      Hey Fitz,

      All those mean spirited things you said about Wilkinson, may be true, however,

      while he was observing a company marching in about 1801 he noticed he could see holes in the bottom of the men's shoes. He therefore established a new order that the men will point their toes down when they step.

      The man was a genius. <g>

      Dave Bennett, 1st U.States Infy.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic