15126Re: [WarOf1812] officer's gorget - engraved or stamped?

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Jul 5, 2002
      In a message dated 7/5/2002 10:06:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
      arnt@... writes:

      > As most of you know, the officer's gorget changed before the outbreak
      > of war from the stamped out kind (RevWar period and beyond) to the
      > engraved version that came into play before 1812. Both were valid for
      > officers depending on when he got his commission. I am not sure when
      > the change was made from stamped out to engraved, does anyone on this
      > list know?
      >
      > The officer I portray, James Crooks, received his commission May 13,
      > 1807. I am not sure whether to get the stamped out kind or the
      > engraved. It depends on when that switch of style was made. Anyone
      > with info on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

      Although there are standard patterns of gorgette there are many variants as
      almost every regiment added numbers mottos or badges of some kind. However
      the official pattern date for the 'engraved type' that you mention was 1812.
      This was a gorgette with a crowned GR surrounded by a laurel wreath, the
      earlier pattern could also be engraved but had the full Royal arms. As I
      recall the embossed repros that are available are in fact pre 1802 (with the
      French arms but without the Irish) so personally I would go for the later
      type.

      A small note on the wearing of this item. It is not a badge of rank but an
      insignia that show that the officer is on duty, therefore it should not be
      worn all the time and indeed they were rarely worn on campaign.