14807Re: [WarOf1812] Militia Flank Companies

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Jun 3, 2002
      In a message dated 6/3/2002 4:31:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
      ciefranche21e@... writes:

      > I think of the major powers only the Austrians and Americans didn't have
      > standing guard units. At least in the regular army. Even then the
      > Austrians had standing grenadier formations.

      The Austrians had Noble Guard units in which one had to be an aristo in order
      to be a private The Arceren (SP?) Traubenten and Hungarian Noble Guards. Most
      of the 'privates' in these units were regimental commanders and the officers
      were generals and Field Marshals as I recall. So the units never appeared as
      units on the field though their members did.