1425thread colour

  • Sean
    May 31, 1999
      >Ah but remember Sean, the coats were not made by private soldiers but by army
      >contractors in bulk, subsequently altered to fit by regimental tailors.
      >Having said that it is true that the contractors would use the cheapest
      >thread possible (more profit for them) but the work did have to be up to
      >government standard. As to coloured thread, it would be far cheeper for a
      >coat manufacturer to buy specifically dyed coloured thread (if that is what
      >the sealed pattern called for) than for an individual soldier to obtain such.
      >However as we know the individual did not make his own coat, it was issued to
      >him.

      Yes, yes... sorry probably a bit poorly worded on my part. I know that
      soldiers coats were made in bulk with final alterations being made at the
      regimental level. What you say about contractors buying the cheapest thread
      possible is where I meant to go.

      It is my suggestion that the cheapest thread would be an undyed raw type,
      probably something like unbleached linen which was more readily available
      in England than cotton. Even when bought in bulk I'm sure it would be
      cheaper to buy a raw colour than one that has been died to match with a
      specific lace. Again just speculation as I really have no source or proof
      but I think a good speculation all the same. I also know an invisible
      stitch that was common back then so it is possible to make a white thread
      line invisible on ANY other colour. Most of my Glengarry coat is hand
      stitched with natural thread and you can't see it anywhere.

      Sean Hirst
      Chosen Man - Royal Newfoundland Reg't, Lt. Coy
      Private - Glengarry Light Infantry
      945-0591
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic