13240Re: Musket Explosion

  • colsjtjones2000
    Jan 10, 2002
      In reviewing my message #13236 below, I must admit I don't think it
      is particularly appropriate to the discussion. Teddy was discussing
      artillery. We are talking about muskets or rifles.

      But I would say that the reproductions we use have modern
      steel barrels of much greater strenght than the originals. And being
      recent, have not suffered the depredations of time, neglect and
      uncertain maintenance. Anyone using a 150 year old plus original in
      re-enactment is an accident waiting to happen.

      --- In WarOf1812@y..., "colsjtjones2000" <colsjtjones2000@y...> wrote:
      > Teddy Roosevelt in his "The Naval War of 1812" mentions the
      > of breech explosions of American forged guns, due to structual
      > problems in American foundries. Doug
      > --- In WarOf1812@y..., Angela Gottfred <agottfre@t...> wrote:
      > > We needn't look to modern explanations (e.g. use of smokeless
      > powder) for
      > > exploding muskets. Sadly, I have found many fur trade accounts of
      > mangled
      > > hands and arms as a result of exploding trade guns, c. 1800-1820.
      > Why did
      > > they explode? Presumably as a result of incorrect loading or weak
      > barrels.
      > > The same problems can occur today.
      > >
      > > In haste,
      > > Your humble & obedient servant,