12639RN greatest fear?

  • PEGGY MATHEWS
    Nov 20, 2001
      I've thoroughly enjoyed the naval dialogue, always being a keen interest of mine. While we are on the subject of "what ifs", consider the impact of a squadron of French 74s and 80s slipping into say Boston and turning it's ships over to the Americans. Viola! Napoleon exchanges in impotent navy for a vital and energetic one. Since he had little understanding of naval affairs it might have happened. Especially if, as it has been asserted some time before, the French were actively encouraging the United States to declare war on England. Imagine the effect if half a dozen well built SOLs had been available to the US on or near the outbreak of war. Brush aside the blockading frigates, work up efficiency at sea, and..... ? A fun alternative. Oh, the French crews? Give them privateers. They are more suited to that role by 1812.

      Michael
      Rochester, MN

      "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes