12410Re: Reenacting in the UK

  • Roger Marsh
    Nov 6, 2001
      Kevin and Peter,

      Since she is primarily interested in Naval re-enactment of the c.
      1800-1812 era, you might also direct the good Deb to HMS - the
      Historical Maritime Society - who, although not specifically based in
      Kent and with a considerable proportion of their membership further
      North within easier reach of the "Leda" - group frigate "Trincomalee"
      which they are associated (sister- ship to Broke's "Shannon", still
      afloat in Hartlepool), nevertheless have members all over Britain and
      re-enact in various places (e.g., nearer my locality, Hampshire, at
      IFOS, Portsmouth, last August). They are likely to be in operation
      sometimes at Chatham Historic Dockyard, Kent, I would surmise;
      anyway, she can ask.

      They are very, very knowledgeable on naval life of the period and a
      good crowd of people with an excellent sense of humour too; I had the
      honour of interacting with them in my persona of Pellew in 1801 at
      IFOS, particularly when escorting His Britannic Majesty GIII around
      his royal Dockyards.

      Website at: http://www.hms.org.uk/

      Regards,

      Roger Marsh

      --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...> wrote:
      > Of course, there are a number of units based around the
      Gillingham/Chatham
      > area of Kent. Deb, once you are here contact me again and I'll put
      you in
      > touch with some of them.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Peter Catley