11147Re: [WarOf1812] The Letter "J" in the alphabet

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Jun 4, 2001
      In a message dated 4/06/01 2:06:38 PM, BritcomHMP@... writes:

      << In a message dated 6/4/2001 3:18:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
      scottj@...
      writes:

      << In the mid to late 18th century, the letter "J" was not used in the English
      alphabet. The letter "I" was used for both "I" and "J.">>

      Actually it is in Latin that there is no "J"; in English in anything like its
      modern form "J" is most certainly used

      <<Was the letter "J" in use by our period (ie: the early 19th Century)? >>

      Absolutely. The earliest book in my collection is 1786, this has the usual
      figure that looks like 'f' for a small 'S' but it has both 'i' and 'j'.

      And don't forget that little ol' King James Bible book thingy...

      (And I've never seen any of my ancestors listed as "Iennings"....)

      93rd SHRoFLHU
      THE Thin Red Line
      www.93rdhighlanders.com
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic