10971Re: Frigates join the Fleet

  • Robb Jackson
    May 8 6:05 AM
      --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Roger Marsh" <frigates@m...> wrote:
      > Just a word to introduce myself, as requested by the Owner.
      >
      > I am an 18thC-early 19thC Naval History enthusiast, a frigate man
      at heart (think I must have been an RN Post Captain in a previous
      > incarnation!), which is why the 1812 war is, evidently, of
      > considerable interest, the naval war having been almost entirely as
      a frigate and sloop war, a comparitively minor Naval war as it was,
      > fought primarily between small naval forces and vessels on both
      sides.

      <SNIP>
      > I am campaigning to get a British replica frigate built - well, not
      a true frigate, too small, but a proper little quarter-decked ship-
      > rigged mini-frigate, probably "Atalanta" (14, later 16) of 1775-
      1801, > which took an active part in the earlier American war and,
      indeed,> spent a year in American hands, having fought but
      surrendered to superior force, before being retaken. In the meantime,
      I have to content myself with sailing working models
      <SNIP>
      > I know less about the land campaigns, and hope to learn more here.
      I look forward to reading y'all

      > Regards,
      >
      > Roger Marsh
      > Hampshire, England

      Greetings Roger,

      I thought this would be of interest to you as well as the rest of the
      group. An actual ship being built for 1812 living history.

      http://www.privateerlynx.org/living.htm

      Robb Jackson
      Marine Guard 1812
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic