10911Introduction

  • Angela Gottfred
    Apr 29, 2001
      I just joined the group, so, as requested, here's a short introduction. I'm
      not a War of 1812 reenactor; there's not much opportunity for that here in
      Alberta. Instead, I reenact & research the Canadian fur trade for the
      period 1774-1812. Because our periods overlap, I might be able to help
      listmembers and vice versa. My particular interests in the fur trade
      include material culture and costume/textiles.

      There are also several interesting areas where the War & the fur trade
      intersect, such as the Regiments de Meuron and de Watteville, the Canadian
      Corps of Voyageurs, and the "capture" of Astoria by the North West Company.
      I don't know if listmembers have already discussed this, but the captain's
      log of the Nancy is available online, as part of the Masson Fur Trade
      Papers, at http://imago.library.mcgill.ca/nwc/
      To get to the Nancy's log, you will have to go through four pages of the
      website; as far as I know, there's no way to go to a manuscript directly.
      The URL above links you to the first page; click <Welcome> there, then
      click <Manuscripts> on the *top* toolbar on the second page, <Browse by
      Title or Search> on the *left-hand* toolbar on the third page, and then
      select the manuscript _Schooner Nancy, Log and List of Provisions,
      1811-1813_ on the fourth page. As you can tell, I think this website's
      design is not very user-friendly! (A pity, since I find it indispensable)

      Another great site, which listmembers may already know about, is Ships of
      the Old Navy:
      http://www.cronab.demon.co.uk/INTRO.HTM

      The site owner has compiled a list of all the Royal Navy's ships from the
      age of sail, and an outline of their service.

      I've just thought of one other area where the War of 1812 and the fur trade
      intersect: the finger-woven sash presented to General Brock by Tecumseh is,
      AFAIK, the only voyageur-type sash that is well-dated to before 1821. If
      anyone has more information on this sash and its provenance, I'd very much
      appreciate it.

      Your humble & obedient servant,
      Angela Gottfred
      www.telusplanet.net/public/gottfred/nwj.html