10621Re: [WarOf1812] coins

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Apr 2, 2001
      Tim (Sir!)
      Max mentioned that she was interested in a Militia Officer's wife. They were certainly not under the regulations regarding religion in the British Army. Out of
      necessity, Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, Catholics all held rank in the Militia units in the Canadas, without penalty. There were so few resident Anglicans in
      the Provinces.
      For the 'Foreign Brigade' - de Meuron, de Watteville, Voltigeurs - there was even an official RC Chaplain, Fr. Jaques de LaMothe, appointed by the Bishop of Quebec,
      and approved by Prevost. Weren't a large number of the Glengarries RC?
      Lower Canada Roman Catholics had been given freedom to continue their religious affiliation before the war - something which was not done in England at the time.
      My loonie's worth
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st