So, I got this set of instructions...

  • alfredo_lorente
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2010
      "Welcome to the WarFoundryAB group at Yahoo! Groups - the home for WarFoundry datafiles (or so we hope).

      In the comment field please write something that makes it clear I'm not dealing with a bot. Please avoid generic messages like "I'd like to join", "It's restricted", "hi" or anything such. At some point I'm going to get tough as I'd like to keep us all un-bot-hered.
      E.g. the army you play or are interested in. Favourite special character and form what army. Something that indicates You are a human being and interested in miniature wargaming. Of course any computers interested in miniature wargaming are welcome but I don't expect to see any in at least 10-15 years."

      And I have no clue as to where the comment field is...

      If I swear to god I'm not a bot, do I still have to do that?

      Alfredo Lorente
    • Henri Korvela
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
        On 30.12.2010 19:51, alfredo_lorente wrote:
        > And I have no clue as to where the comment field is...

        You did however fill in that exact field, mentioning being interested in
        Axis and Allies, so if you can recall what that field was called or what
        you perceived it as I could perhaps modify the message. Out of
        curiosity, did you write the stuff about Axis&Allies before getting the
        email suggesting you provide a comment. I'm not entirely certain at what
        point it gets sent out you see. It actually seems you did what I wanted.
        But I may need modify that message if it is sent at a different point in
        time. Would you believe none of my friends whom I asked had the decency
        to register to help me test this out?

        > If I swear to god I'm not a bot, do I still have to do that?
        >
        > Alfredo Lorente

        No, you're good. Gmail doesn't allow for spammers so I usually approve
        everyone from there anyways. The important thing was to put something in
        the "Why I want to join" field, which it seems its called.

        Cheers,
        Snowblizz
        list-admin and datafile author and Nr.1 Fan of WarFoundry
      • ibboard@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
          --- In WarFoundryAB@yahoogroups.com, Henri Korvela <hkorvela@...> wrote:
          > No, you're good. Gmail doesn't allow for spammers so I usually approve
          > everyone from there anyways.

          GMail doesn't allow spammers? You obviously haven't seen the list of email addresses that spam the main forums! You're talking roughly 40% Yahoo and 40% GMail, with the rest made up of ISPs and spam domains. Whether they actually have an address there or not is another matter, they could just be faking the address (although I never get registration bounces for them), but it is used by spammers.

          > Cheers,
          > Snowblizz
          > list-admin and datafile author and Nr.1 Fan of WarFoundry

          LOL! I like the sig :D
        • Henri Korvela
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
            On 31.12.2010 12:58, ibboard@... wrote:
            > --- In WarFoundryAB@yahoogroups.com, Henri Korvela<hkorvela@...> wrote:
            >> No, you're good. Gmail doesn't allow for spammers so I usually approve
            >> everyone from there anyways.
            > GMail doesn't allow spammers? You obviously haven't seen the list of email addresses that spam the main forums! You're talking roughly 40% Yahoo and 40% GMail, with the rest made up of ISPs and spam domains. Whether they actually have an address there or not is another matter, they could just be faking the address (although I never get registration bounces for them), but it is used by spammers.

            What do I know? It took me forever to get onto Gmail so I've always
            assumed it was safe. ;-) Did they get rid of that being referred by
            someone else? I guess I shouldn't be trusting them so implicitly. Though
            considering the insight they have into what I do through Gmail it is
            sort of inevitable I guess.

            Cheers,
            snowblizz
          • ibboard@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
              > What do I know? It took me forever to get onto Gmail so I've always
              > assumed it was safe. ;-) Did they get rid of that being referred by
              > someone else? I guess I shouldn't be trusting them so implicitly. Though
              > considering the insight they have into what I do through Gmail it is
              > sort of inevitable I guess.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > snowblizz

              Yeah, they've ditched "invitations" (or at least the requirement for invitations - I've still seen accounts that can send out invitations, even though they're not necessary!) and possibly even the "beta" tag by now.

              As for trusting them, I don't trust anything that Google do, which is why I stay logged out whenever possible :) They probably don't care about individuals by a long shot, only general trends, but I don't need everything I do on Google-related services logged to me even when the functionality doesn't need an account.

              Unfortunately, I think nothing is free from spam any more.