Tree with Deep Roots

  • Donna Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2012
      Hello, All!  Happy Lunar New Year...
      I posted a little while ago because I was having trouble accessing " The Tree with Deep Roots", a short historical drama that I began watching on MVIBO ( which is a pay site), and some of you kindly replied.  MVIBO apparently lost the right to stream "Roots" because of some copyright dispute. ( they said later on) I have been able to pick it up now, though, on Hulu, which is free - it just has a few commercials, which aren't too obnoxious.

      I really want to recommend this series to anyone who is deeply interested in the history of Korea, because it tells a story  - with some latitude, I'm sure ; ) - about one of the most important occurrences in Korean history - the creation of the phonetic Hangul (?) alphabet ( replacing Chinese characters), which is what is used today, by King Sejong, and the political and social turmoil that it caused.( giving peasants and lowborns the ability to read and write was the beginning of the end for the repressive Confucianism of Joseon, and the Korean bureuacrats - those who could take the civil service examination to be in the ruling class - were very aware of this.)  The bare bones of the story are woven into a great tale of historic fictional characters, and the acting is second to none, especially the characters of 1) Sejong,  2) Mu Hyul, his right-hand military man, and  3) Kang Chae-Yun, a slave who becomes a palace guard and is pivotal to the
      story.  I can't recommend it enough...  DO watch it!  If there are "oscars" for Korean drama, this has to win a lot - Best - Donna Thomas

    • Erica ✿
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2012
        I watched the series on Hulu too Donna and can't say enough. The writing
        and acting were excellent and the story compelling. Highly recommended.

        Erica

        On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Donna Thomas <drtwmt@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello, All! Happy Lunar New Year...
        > I posted a little while ago because I was having trouble accessing " The
        > Tree with Deep Roots", a short historical drama that I began watching on
        > MVIBO ( which is a pay site), and some of you kindly replied. MVIBO
        > apparently lost the right to stream "Roots" because of some copyright
        > dispute. ( they said later on) I have been able to pick it up now, though,
        > on Hulu, which is free - it just has a few commercials, which aren't too
        > obnoxious.
        >
        > I really want to recommend this series to anyone who is deeply interested
        > in the history of Korea, because it tells a story - with some latitude,
        > I'm sure ; ) - about one of the most important occurrences in Korean
        > history - the creation of the phonetic Hangul (?) alphabet ( replacing
        > Chinese characters), which is what is used today, by King Sejong, and the
        > political and social turmoil that it caused.( giving peasants and lowborns
        > the ability to read and write was the beginning of the end for the
        > repressive Confucianism of Joseon, and the Korean bureuacrats - those who
        > could take the civil service examination to be in the ruling class - were
        > very aware of this.) The bare bones of the story are woven into a great
        > tale of historic fictional characters, and the acting is second to none,
        > especially the characters of 1) Sejong, 2) Mu Hyul, his right-hand
        > military man, and 3) Kang Chae-Yun, a slave who becomes a palace guard and
        > is pivotal to the
        > story. I can't recommend it enough... DO watch it! If there are
        > "oscars" for Korean drama, this has to win a lot - Best - Donna Thomas

        "If God seems slow in responding, it is because He is preparing a better
        gift. He will not deny us. God withholds what you are not yet ready for. He
        wants you to have a lively desire for His greatest gifts. All of which is
        to say, pray always and do not lose heart."

        -- St. Augustine