RE: Natasha - credit card fees, tip-sharing with other departments, & manager tip-sharing

  • Mr Paul C. Paz
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2008
      Natasha...

      Did your meeting include any "printed" material
      distributed to the attendees detailing the house
      policy on tip-sharing wiht other departments or
      explaining the "manager's fee" taken from the
      gratuities paid by the large party customers?

      If no documents were provided for the meeting then you
      need to write your own summary of the meeting, who
      attended, who said what, the date and location of the
      meeting.

      Keep us posted, please.

      Paul www.WaitersWorld.com

      --- In waiters@yahoogroups.com, "Natasha"
      <tashaflygirl1999@...> wrote:

      IM IN CALIFORNIA. I HAVENT BEEN FIRED YET I JUST KNOW
      THEY ARE TRYING. INFACT WE HAVE MEETING TODAY, THEY
      ARE GOING TO TELL EVERYONE WHAT PERCENT WE HAVE TO TIP
      OUT STAFF INCLUDING KITCHEN/DISHWASHER. DID I
      FORGET TO MENTION, OUR MANAGER DEDUCTS OUR GRATUITY
      FROM LARGE PARTIES FOR BOOKING THE PARTY. SHE SAYS
      IT'S HER FEE.

      --- In waiters@yahoogroups.com, Marinonet <ron@>
      wrote:

      > Wow, bad idea , you should have posted it
      incognito. There are
      laws protecting you for this. I don't know what state
      you're in
      Natasha, but start with either the labor board or the
      wage and hour
      division. You must get the ball rollilng now. In
      Florida, where I'm
      located, you can file in small claims court for
      unlawful firing.
      This tip-out thing is obviously getting out of control
      all over the
      country. Who else out there is tipping out
      dishwashers, hostesses,
      cooks, chefs, maintainence people, MANAGERS, or
      giving money back
      to the house. What the heck is going on in this
      industry?!

      > Marinonet

      --- End forwarded message ---

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Alida De Carlo
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2008
        Hi Giuseppe here I have just answered this question, tips belong to
        the server, no one is allowed to touh tnem, it is called stealing, no
        one is allowed to tell you, you have to share your personally earned
        tips. in regards to the manager, if he is a working manager, which
        means, he gives sufficient help during service, pouring wines,
        clearing tables, reseting finished tables, which helps all services,
        then he is entitled to an equal %, otherwise he is not.

        Giuseppe
      • Mr Paul C. Paz
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2008
          Dear Giuseppe...

          Welcome to America! A country where it is ILLEGAL for
          owners or managers to demand any portion (if not all)
          of tips left by customers intended for their
          individual waiters. This is why American restaurant
          owners only pay their waiters minimum wage for
          lifetime careers. It keeps operator labor costs
          forever constant and lower than if they had to provide
          merit increases or salaries to waiters. The incentive
          is for waiters to elevate their service-sales skills
          in order to gain a higher tip revenue.

          Paul www.WaitersWorld.com

          --- Alida De Carlo <eggladyau@...> wrote:

          > Hi Giuseppe here I have just answered this question,
          > tips belong to
          > the server, no one is allowed to touh tnem, it is
          > called stealing, no
          > one is allowed to tell you, you have to share your
          > personally earned
          > tips. in regards to the manager, if he is a working
          > manager, which
          > means, he gives sufficient help during service,
          > pouring wines,
          > clearing tables, reseting finished tables, which
          > helps all services,
          > then he is entitled to an equal %, otherwise he is
          > not.
          >
          > Giuseppe
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Alida De Carlo
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2008
            Hi Paul if that is he system, thats the law, and you stated that
            the better the service the better the share, that will definately
            improve service, because everyone wants to maximize their take home
            money, the reason I do not like compulsury tipping, because it woulg
            diminish service, they make tips any way, but your statement is
            worthy, the better and faster and polite service, the better the
            share, Great. Giuseppe