Andrew Waggoner, b.ca1785 - a descendant of Jacob Waggoner, b.1717?

  • nandixon
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2007
      There is an Andrew Wagoner/Waggoner (middle name
      possibly "Claude"), b.ca1785, NC, who appears on the
      1850 Hardin Co., TN census living in the household of
      his son Andrew Carroll ("A.C.") Waggoner,
      daughter-in-law Sarah (LAMB), and two grandchildren
      (Jacob Henry Waggoner and James K. Polk Waggoner).

      Does anyone know if this Andrew Waggoner is a
      descendant of Jacob Waggoner ("Old Jacob"), b.1717 in
      Germany? I see that Jacob had a son Daniel, b.1746,
      who in turn had a son Andrew, b.mid-1760's, and that
      this Andrew appears on the 1830 Hardin Co., TN census.
      That they both ended up in the same county with
      similarly named family members makes me think that
      Andrew Waggoner, b.ca1785, might be related to
      Daniel's son Andrew, as a son or nephew, etc., but I'm
      unable to make a connection.

      Thanks for any help.

      It's here! Your new message!
    • nandixon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2007
        Since posting my original message of April 3, 2007, I've realized
        that the Andrew ("And.") Wagoner who appears on the 1830 Hardin Co.,
        TN census I had previously mentioned is actually indicated as being
        in the 40-50 yr age bracket on that census. This puts his birthyear
        at ca1780-1790, which is a match to the age (65 yrs) as written for
        the Andrew Wagoner (b.ca1785, NC) who appears on the 1850 Hardin Co.,
        TN census and who is living in the family of son Andrew Carroll
        ("A.C.") Wagoner [Waggoner] (b.ca1826, AL/TN) and daughter-in-law
        Sarah (LAMB). (I also see an Andrew Wagoner on the 1840 Hardin Co.,
        TN whose age is in the 50-60 yr bracket, matching him with a
        birthyear of 1780-1790 as well.)

        Therefore, I'm led to believe that the three Andrew Wagoners of the
        1830, 1840 & 1850 Hardin Co., TN censuses are all one and the same
        individual.

        But I'm still wondering exactly how this Andrew Wagoner (b.ca1785,
        NC) is related to "Old Jacob" Wagner (b.1717, Germany).

        Jacob's alleged oldest son, Daniel Waggoner (b.ca1746?), married an
        Elizabeth HARMON in Rowan Co., NC on 18 Mar 1767. [Source: The
        Heritage of Rowan Co. NC, vol. 1 (Gen. Soc. of Rowan Co. - 1991,
        p.615] Daniel then allegedly had a son Andrew who may have married a
        Susannah GRIMES. (This Andrew also then had a son named Daniel* who
        married a Martha KINCANNON.) I was originally thinking that this son
        of Daniel's named Andrew was born sometime shortly after Daniel's
        marriage to Elizabeth, but now I'm wondering if Andrew's birth might
        have come later and that the Andrew Wagoner b.ca1785, NC shown on the
        1850 Hardin Co., TN census is in fact the son of Daniel (b.ca1746)
        and Elizabeth Harmon.

        Can anyone prove this one way or the other?
        Thanks!

        [*Note that the Andrew on the 1830 census is living close to a Daniel
        ("Danl.") Wagoner whose age is the 30-40 bracket, giving Daniel a
        birthyear of 1790-1800. I suppose this could be the Daniel who
        married Martha Kincannon.]

        --- In Waggoners@yahoogroups.com, nandixon <nandixon@...> wrote:

        > There is an Andrew Wagoner/Waggoner (middle name
        > possibly "Claude"), b.ca1785, NC, who appears on the
        > 1850 Hardin Co., TN census living in the household of
        > his son Andrew Carroll ("A.C.") Waggoner,
        > daughter-in-law Sarah (LAMB), and two grandchildren
        > (Jacob Henry Waggoner and James K. Polk Waggoner).
        >
        > Does anyone know if this Andrew Waggoner is a
        > descendant of Jacob Waggoner ("Old Jacob"), b.1717 in
        > Germany? I see that Jacob had a son Daniel, b.1746,
        > who in turn had a son Andrew, b.mid-1760's, and that
        > this Andrew appears on the 1830 Hardin Co., TN census.
        > That they both ended up in the same county with
        > similarly named family members makes me think that
        > Andrew Waggoner, b.ca1785, might be related to
        > Daniel's son Andrew, as a son or nephew, etc., but I'm
        > unable to make a connection.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.
      • dingledarnell
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
          I found a new book, published in 2005 called "Clear Fork Kinship" by
          Annie Nicholson Drake (PO Box 190306, Dallas, TX 75219.) She has added
          quite a bit of information to the book, "Old Jacob Wagner of Davidson
          (Old Rowan) County and Some of His Descendants" published in 1984. The
          first mentioned book lists only one Andrew in the correct generation to
          be the one you ask about. Andrew was the 3rd child of Daniel Waggoner
          (oldest son of Jacob Wagner). Andrew's birthdate is given as "about
          1768." Unfortunately, her book doesn't have any more information on
          Andrew. However, in the 7 generations she lists, there is not another
          Andrew with a birthdate that would put him in the appropriate
          generation. Sooo, I think your supposition is correct.

          My line descends from Daniel and his second son, Mathias b 10 Feb 1765.
          Again, her book doesn't have any further information on him.

          Hope this helps.

          (Ms) Darnell Dingle