Re: run time error when trying to open program

  • ka9cfd
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20 6:14 PM
      Unfortunately it did not cure the problem. Just tried to open the program and got the run-time error. :-(

      Jay KA9CFD

      --- In WXSpots@yahoogroups.com, "ka9cfd" <ka9cfd@...> wrote:

      > Tnx Scott. Done what you said and have it running again. Time will tell if it permanently fixes the problem.
      >
      > 73 Jay KA9CFD
      >
      > --- In WXSpots@yahoogroups.com, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Jay,
      > >
      > > Thanks for your e-mail. After you delete the folder in the program files directory, also delete the associated folder in your User Profile directory. It will be something like:
      > >
      > > C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\N3FJP Software\WXWarn
      > >
      > > That will completely clear and reset your installation.
      > >

      > > 73, Scott
      > > N3FJP
      > > http://www.n3fjp.com
      > >
      > > Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

    • ka9cfd
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2013
        I am still having issues with the run time error but I think I narrowed the problem down to the NOAADiscussion.txt file that is created when the discussion window pops up. Something appears to be corrupted when this file is created. Here is currently what is in the file after Mesoscale Discussion #0949 was issued:

        ""
        ""
        "0949","0658 PM CDT MON JUN 03 2013"
        "ff0000"">Notice: ",""

        The ff0000 line also shows up in the pop up discussion window in the topics column just below the MD#0949 listing. I currently have the following checkmarked:

        Show WXWARN if minimized on update
        Current Mesoscale Discussions
        Keep form on top.

        If I close the program and restart it, I get the run time error. If I delete the NOAAdiscussion.txt file and restart the program, it will go ahead and open.

        This is on a Samsung laptop with an Intel i7 processor, Windows 8 64 bit. But I have also had the run time error on my HP desktop with an AMD quad core processor, Windows 7 64 bit on board.

        Hope this info helps. Please let me know if there is cure for this bug.

        73 Jay KA9CFD

        --- In WXSpots@yahoogroups.com, "ka9cfd" <ka9cfd@...> wrote:

        > Unfortunately it did not cure the problem. Just tried to open the program and got the run-time error. :-(
        >
        > Jay KA9CFD
        >
        > --- In WXSpots@yahoogroups.com, "ka9cfd" <ka9cfd@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Tnx Scott. Done what you said and have it running again. Time will tell if it permanently fixes the problem.
        > >
        > > 73 Jay KA9CFD
        > >
        > > --- In WXSpots@yahoogroups.com, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Hi Jay,
        > > >
        > > > Thanks for your e-mail. After you delete the folder in the program files directory, also delete the associated folder in your User Profile directory. It will be something like:
        > > >
        > > > C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\N3FJP Software\WXWarn
        > > >
        > > > That will completely clear and reset your installation.
        > > >

        > > > 73, Scott
        > > > N3FJP
        > > > http://www.n3fjp.com
        > > >
        > > > Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

      • Snkdavis
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
          Thanks for the report.  It looks like there is an extra quote in the string of text data they provide.  That would definitely explain it.  I will keep that in mind for the next release.

          73, Scott
          N3FJP

          I am still having issues with the run time error but I think I narrowed the problem down to the NOAADiscussion.txt file that is created when the discussion window pops up. Something appears to be corrupted when this file is created. Here is currently what is in the file after Mesoscale Discussion #0949 was issued:

          ""
          ""
          "0949","0658 PM CDT MON JUN 03 2013"
          "ff0000"">Notice: ",""

          The ff0000 line also shows up in the pop up discussion window in the topics column just below the MD#0949 listing. I currently have the following checkmarked:

          Show WXWARN if minimized on update
          Current Mesoscale Discussions
          Keep form on top.

          If I close the program and restart it, I get the run time error. If I delete the NOAAdiscussion.txt file and restart the program, it will go ahead and open.

          This is on a Samsung laptop with an Intel i7 processor, Windows 8 64 bit. But I have also had the run time error on my HP desktop with an AMD quad core processor, Windows 7 64 bit on board.

          Hope this info helps. Please let me know if there is cure for this bug.

          73 Jay KA9CFD

          --- In WXSpots@yahoogroups.com, "ka9cfd" <ka9cfd@...> wrote:

          > Unfortunately it did not cure the problem. Just tried to open the program and got the run-time error. :-(
          >
          > Jay KA9CFD
          >
          > --- In WXSpots@yahoogroups.com, "ka9cfd" <ka9cfd@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Tnx Scott. Done what you said and have it running again. Time will tell if it permanently fixes the problem.
          > >
          > > 73 Jay KA9CFD
          > >
          > > --- In WXSpots@yahoogroups.com, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Hi Jay,
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for your e-mail. After you delete the folder in the program files directory, also delete the associated folder in your User Profile directory. It will be something like:
          > > >
          > > > C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\N3FJP Software\WXWarn
          > > >
          > > > That will completely clear and reset your installation.
          > > >

          > > > 73, Scott
          > > > N3FJP
          > > > http://www.n3fjp.com
          > > >
          > > > Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

        • ka9cfd
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
            Thanks Scott! I might ask an additional feature request. Maybe add another box to checkmark to get notification of the watch box text from SPC when they are issued to link to their site to read the severe thunderstorm and tornado watch graphics and text discussion.

            73 Jay KA9CFD

            --- In WXSpots@yahoogroups.com, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the report. It looks like there is an extra quote in the string of text data they provide. That would definitely explain it. I will keep that in mind for the next release.
            >

            > 73, Scott
            > N3FJP
            > http://www.n3fjp.com
            >
            > Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

          • Snkdavis
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 7, 2013
              Hi Jay,

              It is still up as version 1.8, but I made some adjustments to the way the NOAA Discussion data is saved, which hopefully will parse out the stray quotes and eliminate the error the next time the program is started.  If you want to give it a try, you can replace the .exe file in the program's working directory with this one:

              73, Scott
              N3FJP

              Thanks Scott! I might ask an additional feature request. Maybe add another box to checkmark to get notification of the watch box text from SPC when they are issued to link to their site to read the severe thunderstorm and tornado watch graphics and text discussion.

              73 Jay KA9CFD

              --- In WXSpots@yahoogroups.com, Snkdavis <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the report. It looks like there is an extra quote in the string of text data they provide. That would definitely explain it. I will keep that in mind for the next release.
              >

              > 73, Scott
              > N3FJP
              > http://www.n3fjp.com
              >
              > Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

            • ka9cfd
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2013
                Thanks Scott! Will give it a try. Active weather maybe tonight and Sunday.