Hi new here,,,with questions

  • hillbillyartistwv
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
      Hi all,
      Nice to find a WV group for unschooling. I live up in Tucker Co. and we are unschooling our 5 year old son. I have some question...more just homeschool related than unschooling.
      I am a certified WV teacher, do I have to have someone else do evaluation for my child?
      Also are there any of you with children around the same age that get together for some social time?
      Thanks,
      Holly
    • b prince
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
        Welcome Holly,
        This was just asked on another WV homeschool yahoo group, and as I read it, as long as you are a teacher, you can do your own evaluation. But.... if you already live in a location that has problems with homeschoolers, you may be asking for trouble.  You don't need to report for your son yet though, right?

        As for trying to get together, there are hs groups in Morgantown that get together. I'm sure there are many others too. I've met a few unschoolers that I'm trying to get together with but most aren't "local" to me so it will require some travel.

        Bonni

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
          I'm in Dunbar and have not found any in my area - I still need to find an evaluator, also (unschooling friendly) - I am willing to travel, but not too far - still pretty new to the area - Would love to meet some other homeschoolers/unschoolers and find an evaluator - my boys are 13 and 16.

          Deb

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010

            Don't forget that your evaluator does not have to be local, nor even certified in WV ... just a certified teacher!

            And yes, a certified teacher can evaluate her own child's portfolio.  Check on WVHEA.org for forms to help.

            Blessings,
            Teresa in Barbour
          • hillbillyartistwv
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
              Thank you all for responding. I know I don't technically have to register our son as a homeschooler for another year and a half but just getting prepared. I don't think I will have a problem in the county.
              I have already been keeping some notes on what we do just so I get in a habit of doing so.
              This county misses so much school due to weather , that homeschooling is looking good to more and more people.
              I am glad I won't have to search for an evaluator. I will just need to keep up my certification.
              Thank you

              WV_Unschooling@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Ward" <jrward3@...> wrote:

              > Don't forget that your evaluator does not have to be local, nor even certified in WV ... just a certified teacher!
              >
              > And yes, a certified teacher can evaluate her own child's portfolio. Check on WVHEA.org for forms to help.
              >
              > Blessings,
              > Teresa in Barbour
              > www.HomeschoolOasis.com

            • b prince
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
                Deb,
                I'm a little too far just to visit, but if we come that way for something, I'll have to plan time in there to visit. I still haven't found an evaluator either, but I'm not giving up.
                Bonni

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
                  Hey Bonni - that would be great!  I can't believe it's so hard to find an evaluator.  I got a reference of one, but I contacted her and she is not taking any new clients. Back to the drawing board!  LOL

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2010
                    >>> I will just need to keep up my certification.
                    You may also want to consider being available for portfolio reviews for other homeschoolers, and if so, letting CHEWV & WVHEA know.

                    Blessings,
                    Teresa in Barbour Co
                  • hillbillyartistwv
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 7, 2010
                      Hi Teresa,
                      I actually I'm thinking about doing reviews. I have done a few before,, for friends, when I was teaching. I am looking into what is required right now and going to join WVHEA and HSLDA as well.
                      Will keep everyone udated.

                      Thanks
                      Holly