Re: [WSM_Forum] There’s cheats and there’s cheats, apparently, as there’s victims and victims

  • John B Books
    Message 1 of 107 , Dec 7, 2007
      copy of e-mail to BBC, Sky News ITN and Channel 4 News

      Dear Sir or Madam

      There’s cheats and there’s cheats, apparently, as there’s victims and victims

      As a viewer, I’m watching all the coverage of the John Darwin and his wife Anne, the alleged insurance fraudsters and the huge expense that TV stations and newspapers are expending to cover this story. They are alleged to have cheated insurance companies of some 200 thousand pounds?

      A couple of months ago, however, the Office of Fair Trading signalled an investigation into the allegations that the main supermarkets are colluding to cheat the public over the price of milk, butter and cheese. Today, 7 December 2007, the Office of Fair Trade announced that the supermarkets were indeed guilty of cheating the public of 250 million pounds.

      The Darwins’ alleged cheating, like those who actually cheat the government in benefit fraud etc are not directly cheating working class people, but insurance companies. Is there more urgency among the media to expose the cheats of government and private companies than the cheats of working class people? It rather seems so.

      The supermarkets are cheating against the principles or ideologies of both ‘free trade’ and of ‘competition’, which are bound into capitalist law and are said to create the condition for cheaper goods and services. The supermarkets broke this law. A supermarket doesn’t operate itself; it needs human involvement to direct its operations, legal and illegal.

      Why, then, both months ago and today are not the faces of the supermarket individuals, (the directors, who orchestrated the cheating and law breaking), handcuffed arrested and all over the TV and newspapers branded as ‘cheats’? Oh no, don’t tell me, that they too like the cheating police chief, the cheating British Airways directors, the cheating Virgin Atlantic directors and the cheating politicians too are getting off ‘toff free’? In Great Britain, a worker who has cheated is a branded a cheat for life, so why are not a company and its cheating directors cheats for life?

      Incidentally, the man called Branson who owns or certainly runs the cheating Virgin Atlantic, is being allowed to buy Northern Rock Bank, the bank that’s gone bust, and be in charge of peoples savings? Ah, Loony Tunes or what!

      Yours

      JB Books

      balmer_dave <balmer_dave@...> wrote:

      Well it looks like I have scared off Neil McIntosh, whoever he might
      be.

      I thought at first it might be Neil `Big and Daft' McIntosh,
      Kilmarnock's reserve team goalkeeper.

      But then realised that was unlikely as he would never know what
      a `shenanigan' was unless he thought it was something you hit people
      over the head with and copied it from a scribbler out of newspaper.

      Anyway as I seem to have terminated what might have been an
      interesting debate so I think I will leave the next one to someone
      else.

      On the Karen Reissmann thing, for interest there has been a article
      today in the Labour Party's intellectual mouthpiece `The Guardian',
      I don't bother buying it anymore;

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/dec/05/mentalhealth.nhs

      She is obviously worried about loosing her house and her full NHS
      pension, which is one of the few perks left in slaving away as a
      nurse for 30 years.

      She only lives about a mile away from me I believe.

      --- In WSM_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "balmer_dave" <balmer_dave@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Neil McIntosh
      >
      > I suppose when it comes to the `shenanigans' of the latest scandal
      > of members of the capitalist class `donating' monies to political
      > parties, in this case again the labour party I suppose you have a
      > choice over what you make of it.
      >
      > You could take the official party line that Hazel Blears gave in
      the
      > BBC Andrew Marr interview;
      >

      > "And what I would say to you is that there were a lot of people

    • trotfinder2007
      Message 107 of 107 , Dec 18, 2007
        Hi Sharon

        Adam Buick is the guy to ask as he has been involved with the elctoral
        dept. of the SPGB for a number of years now.

        At present, I think the SPGB only has its sights on a single ward, the
        Vauxhall ward where Head Office is situated.

        Graham