questions about sounds

  • Tassie
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2000
      Hi,

      I'm new and have been going over the cards from the book. I was copying
      them to make my own set. But I have a question about two that I found.

      The first is y
      on the back it says
      (the short i) "i" ba by

      I realize we should not refer to them to the children that way, but I
      didn't know how to type it on the computer. I have always pronounced
      baby as ba be (long a then long e) I also checked other phonics and
      they also pronounce it the way I do. Why is WRTR different?

      The other one is i
      on the back it says
      (the short i) "i" in di an
      Both i's in Indian say (short) "i" I and y at the end of a syllable
      usually say (short) "i"

      Again, I learned to pronounce in de an. I looked this up in our
      dictionary and it pronounces it that way also. Could you please expain
      this difference for me? I want to understand.

      Thank you.
      Tassie