DHCP passthrough at public hotspots

  • mark
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
      The public libraries in Seattle offer free wifi which you can pick up parked in the street - no library card required. I would like to use my WRT54G to connect several computers and VOIP units in my Recreational Vehicle to the internet via the libraries open WIFI.

      I have had limited success with DD-WRT  and none with Freeman. The problem is the libraries WIFI installation appears to block packets from Mac or IP addresses that haven't received an IP address via the libraries DHCP server.

      Any suggestions on which freeware fri package (DD-WRT), Sveasoft, Hyper etc) will work best for this and any suggestions on how to configure it would be appreciated.

    • TJ Tryon
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
        Check the legalities of what you are wanting to do, as that doesn't sound like it would be within their "Acceptable use policy".

        That aside, if you are using NAT, and your wireless router picks up an IP address from their network, all packets coming from devices on the internal side of the router will appear to the outside to be coming directly from the router itself.  Therefore, all packets residing from your temporary car network will be appearing to come from an IP and MAC that did get get it's IP from the DHCP server.

        Unless I am missing something...

        The public libraries in Seattle offer free wifi which you can pick up parked in the street - no library card required. I would like to use my WRT54G to connect several computers and VOIP units in my Recreational Vehicle to the internet via the libraries open WIFI.

        I have had limited success with DD-WRT  and none with Freeman. The problem is the libraries WIFI installation appears to block packets from Mac or IP addresses that haven't received an IP address via the libraries DHCP server.

        Any suggestions on which freeware fri package (DD-WRT), Sveasoft, Hyper etc) will work best for this and any suggestions on how to configure it would be appreciated.

      • Gdubya
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
          I'm a little confused... you said you can "pick up" their signal in the parking lot yet you cannot connect. What do you mean by limited success? If they are using MAC filtering you need to take your laptop into the library and jump through the reqired hoops to get logged on and then go to your router and, under setup, go to the MAC cloning tab and spoof your laptop's MAC. If that MAC's access is persistant, you're good to go. I'm assuming that whatever firmware you are using it retains the MAC cloning feature of Linksys's firmware and you have configured your WRT54G as a bridge. Library staff are usually very accomodating, you should have no problem even if you are from out of town and have no Library card.
          mark <caldomark@...> wrote:
          The public libraries in Seattle offer free wifi which you can pick up parked in the street - no library card required. I would like to use my WRT54G to connect several computers and VOIP units in my Recreational Vehicle to the internet via the libraries open WIFI.

          I have had limited success with DD-WRT  and none with Freeman. The problem is the libraries WIFI installation appears to block packets from Mac or IP addresses that haven't received an IP address via the libraries DHCP server.

          Any suggestions on which freeware fri package (DD-WRT), Sveasoft, Hyper etc) will work best for this and any suggestions on how to configure it would be appreciated.

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS