wrt54gs v4 firmware

  • artgartg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
      I've just got a wrt54gs V4 (UK version). It's got 1.05.3 firmware
      loaded and I haven't been able to use the ping bug (I've tried both
      the original IP address hack and the ping-count hack).

      Has anyone else managed to get a shell on the 1.05.3 firmware, or are
      all the known exploits fixed now ?

      From browsing the web, I've found that other users have been able to
      work on boxes delivered with this firmware by first downgrading to
      1.05.2. I can do that, or I can probably just use the web installer,
      to install some non-linksys firmware but I haven't found a firmware
      image of 1.05.3 anywhere yet. This means that once I've changed it, I
      can't go back to the original.

      Does anyone know where I can find a 1.05.3 binary ? I suspect the
      differences are 1) euro frequency allocations and 2) ping bug fix but
      maybe there's more.
    • jesse
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
        www.dd-wrt.com

        They have firmware for v4. It will give you command shell access so you can ping from the UI.

        --- In WRT54G@yahoogroups.com, "artgartg" <lists@t...> wrote:

        > I've just got a wrt54gs V4 (UK version). It's got 1.05.3 firmware
        > loaded and I haven't been able to use the ping bug (I've tried both
        > the original IP address hack and the ping-count hack).
        >
        > Has anyone else managed to get a shell on the 1.05.3 firmware, or are
        > all the known exploits fixed now ?
        >
        > From browsing the web, I've found that other users have been able to
        > work on boxes delivered with this firmware by first downgrading to
        > 1.05.2. I can do that, or I can probably just use the web installer,
        > to install some non-linksys firmware but I haven't found a firmware
        > image of 1.05.3 anywhere yet. This means that once I've changed it, I
        > can't go back to the original.
        >
        > Does anyone know where I can find a 1.05.3 binary ? I suspect the
        > differences are 1) euro frequency allocations and 2) ping bug fix but
        > maybe there's more.

      • artgartg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          --- In WRT54G@yahoogroups.com, "jesse" <gixer6_2002@y...> wrote:

          > www.dd-wrt.com
          >
          > They have firmware for v4. It will give you command shell access so
          you can ping from the UI.

          Yes, thanks, I've found a couple of places with new firmware - but I
          don't want to reflash it without any means of restoring the original.
          Not a problem for 1.05.2 firmware since it's on the Linksys site, but I
          can't find a copy of the version on here.

          I think it might be possible to back the original up, but only with
          shell access .. which I can't get because the ping exploit doesn't
          work. I've checked the new sources (they're available even though the
          binary isn't!) and the ping exploit does appear to have been fixed in
          this version.

          -adrian
        • Haudy Kazemi
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            It sounds like you have one of the newest Linksys routers, that is NOT
            running Linux. (instead, it is using VxWorks). The end result is you will
            not be able to use 3rd party firmware on it. Look in the dslreports.com
            forums for discussions about this, and the problems with the latest VxWorks
            versions of the WRT54G. There are also postings about v5's problems in the
            linksysinfo.org forums.

            Basically: avoid any WRT54G with serial numbers beginning with CDFB (WRT54G
            version 5), and avoid the WRT54GS version 5 (serials begin with CGN60),
            because they have 1/2 the flash memory and 1/2 the ram of previous
            versions, and the v5 WRT54G definitely is not running Linux. Your posting
            suggests there may be non-linux versions of the WRT54GS now as well.

            At 09:59 AM 1/3/2006 -0000, you wrote:
            >I've just got a wrt54gs V4 (UK version). It's got 1.05.3 firmware
            >loaded and I haven't been able to use the ping bug (I've tried both
            >the original IP address hack and the ping-count hack).
            >
            >Has anyone else managed to get a shell on the 1.05.3 firmware, or are
            >all the known exploits fixed now ?
            >
            >>From browsing the web, I've found that other users have been able to
            >work on boxes delivered with this firmware by first downgrading to
            >1.05.2. I can do that, or I can probably just use the web installer,
            >to install some non-linksys firmware but I haven't found a firmware
            >image of 1.05.3 anywhere yet. This means that once I've changed it, I
            >can't go back to the original.
            >
            >Does anyone know where I can find a 1.05.3 binary ? I suspect the
            >differences are 1) euro frequency allocations and 2) ping bug fix but
            >maybe there's more.
            >

            >For more information and latest firmware releases, visit
            http://www.wrt54g.net
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • artgartg
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
              --- In WRT54G@yahoogroups.com, Haudy Kazemi <kaze0010@t...> wrote:

              > It sounds like you have one of the newest Linksys routers, that is NOT
              > running Linux. (instead, it is using VxWorks). The end result is
              you will
              > not be able to use 3rd party firmware on it. Look in the dslreports.com
              > forums for discussions about this, and the problems with the latest
              VxWorks
              > versions of the WRT54G. There are also postings about v5's problems
              in the
              > linksysinfo.org forums.
              >
              > Basically: avoid any WRT54G with serial numbers beginning with CDFB
              (WRT54G
              > version 5), and avoid the WRT54GS version 5 (serials begin with CGN60),
              > because they have 1/2 the flash memory and 1/2 the ram of previous
              > versions, and the v5 WRT54G definitely is not running Linux. Your
              posting
              > suggests there may be non-linux versions of the WRT54GS now as well.

              It does run Linux : the source code is up on Linksys' website (I've
              built it but not yet loaded it, as I'd still like to find an
              officially distributed binary if I can).

              This is version 4 of the GS (CGN60 serial) and therefore presumably
              does have less memory as you describe : but I believe that it's no
              less than a WRT54G v4 or WRT54GL so while it's a shame they reduced
              it, it will do for my purposes .. once I'm brave enough to reflash it !
            • jesse
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
                A wrt54gs with a sn begining with cgn60 is most deffinitly a V4 wifi router & it DOES run linux which means your CAN load dd-wrt firmware on it.

                I have a V4 gs sitting right next to me & it is running dd-wrt v23 standard firmware.

                Linksys firmware blows, dd-wrt will be able to do anything & everything you need it to.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
                  My bad. I saw the firmware v1.0.x version number and was thinking of the
                  VxWorks versions that are numbered that way. The latest official Linksys
                  WRT Linux firmwares were all up in the 4.x range, before these releases.