Question about hardware wrt54g v4 trhoughput

  • LUIS M
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
      Somebody know about the troughput in the wrt54g v4, I dude about this
      device work for make link for large distance (more than 1 km), I
      comment you, my link wireless was for two aps, one linksys wrt54g v2
      and one wrt54gs v2.1,and one wrt54g v2 as node, I sold the wr54g v2
      and I put another ones wrt54gs, I done, but my signal is low now, I
      try exchange again for other wrt54g but this are v4 an my wireless
      link follow with low signal, I think maybe the wrt54g v4 and wrt54gs
      v2.1 has some limitations, my question is this true?
      Also the wrt54g v4 dont has 3d firmware to flash it only hyper-wrt
      4.20.6, this firmware has dificult for wds, etc....
      Has Somebody the solution for this device? What can I do? I need your
      help for restablish my link. thanks for your help.

      Ing. Luis M. Lopez H.
      Atotonilco, Jal. Mex

      PD. Excuseme for my english.
    • malcolm andrews
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hi Luis,

        If you can't get enough output then you will need a couple of directional
        antenne. Since you are working Point To Point then this is probably a
        better solution for you.

        The problem is that the cost of Directional antenna are a little on the high
        side. If you read the following you may find some inspiration on what is
        needed in your situation.

        http://www.stanford.edu/~jstockdl/tmp/usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

        http://www.seattlewireless.net/

        >From: "LUIS M" <videoato@...>
        >To: WRT54G@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [WRT54G] New Message - Question about hardware wrt54g v4
        >trhoughput
        >Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:56:15 -0000
        >
        >Somebody know about the troughput in the wrt54g v4, I dude about this
        >device work for make link for large distance (more than 1 km), I
        >comment you, my link wireless was for two aps, one linksys wrt54g v2
        >and one wrt54gs v2.1,and one wrt54g v2 as node, I sold the wr54g v2
        >and I put another ones wrt54gs, I done, but my signal is low now, I
        >try exchange again for other wrt54g but this are v4 an my wireless
        >link follow with low signal, I think maybe the wrt54g v4 and wrt54gs
        >v2.1 has some limitations, my question is this true?
        >Also the wrt54g v4 dont has 3d firmware to flash it only hyper-wrt
        >4.20.6, this firmware has dificult for wds, etc....
        >Has Somebody the solution for this device? What can I do? I need your
        >help for restablish my link. thanks for your help.
        >

        >Ing. Luis M. Lopez H.
        >Atotonilco, Jal. Mex
        >
        >PD. Excuseme for my english.

      • LUIS M LOPEZ H
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2005
          --- malcolm andrews

          Maybe you dont understand me, I had my wireless links
          working ok, before I installed the linksys wrt54gs v3
          and try with new other wrt54g v4, I had installed 2
          wrt54g v2 and all wireless link was working ok. It is
          no problem with antennas, interference or
          configuration, becouse everything is the same except
          the wrt54 with version different. Im thinking find
          wrt54g v2 and purchase it. My question is if some body
          have any suggested about wrt54g v4 and his firmware.
          Thanks for your help.

          Luis M. Lopez H.
          Atotonilco, Jal. Mexico

          Correo Yahoo!
          Espacio para todos tus mensajes, antivirus y antispam ¬°gratis!
          Regístrate ya - http://correo.yahoo.com.mx/
        • William Estrada
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 2005
            Luis,

              Your English is much better that my Spanish.

              I you have a low signal then  you may have a problem in the antenna/coax system.

              I have a two mile link up and running with two WAP54Gs.  Another 400 foot link
            with two more WAPs.  They run flawlessly.  The last link ( 400' ) I was using
            WRT54Gs but had a lot of trouble with them.  The WAP support 'Wireless Bridging',
            the WRTs do not.

              You can see my Topology here.  Router_4 has been replaced with a WAP because of link
            problems with the WRT.

              How are you testing the link?  Can you provide a picture of the network?  I use DIA
            to make mine.  Please tell us about your antennas and coax type/runs.  Do you have
            SSH access to the boxes?

            Message: 1
               Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:56:15 -0000
               From: "LUIS M" <videoato@...>
            Subject: Question about hardware wrt54g v4 trhoughput

            --
            .signature.html   William Estrada    --  MrUmunhum at popdial dot com  --   408-997-0743
              Ymessenger ID: MrUmunhum

          • LUIS M
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2005
              William Estrada

              Hi, I see, I comment you about my network is very simple, I have one
              node (wrt54g v4) with link (make wds) for 3 wrt54gs v2.2; to 1kms
              farest, my wds signal level(view in wrt54g v4 menu status-wireless)
              is -93 (very low). Before I had a wrt54g v2 as node router wireless
              and the wds signal was -65,The unique explanation is the wrt54g v4
              troughput is very low comparated with wrt54g v2, I had tested two
              version (4 and 2) with one pc with pci card airlink, to 5 mts
              between routers and 10 mts between pc and two routers, the result
              with netstumbler (the routers with same power outpur, same channel,
              same anntenas, etc. etc.. sama everything) was that wrt54g v4 has
              low power output (almost 40% more power outpur for wrt54g v2), I
              purchased another wrt54g v4 for make the same tests and the result
              was same.
              Why this device wrt54g v4 has low power? I dont know, but the tests
              say me this devices dont work for large distances.

              Excuseme for reply you late, but I was sick.

              Ing. Luis M. Lopez Herrera
              Atotonilco el Alto, jal. mexico