Re: Take on new "ag" routers?

  • Stanley P. Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2005

      --- In WRT54G@yahoogroups.com, IGGY & Svetlana <iggyandsvetlana@e...>
      wrote:
      > Just saw a LinkSys "ag" router at BestBuy's site. BestBuy computer
      guy tells me that they are more stable than "b" or "g" routers since
      they have dual band - 2.4 and 5 Ghz and switch if there is interference.

      > I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these? How quickly
      do they switch channels if there is interference? Does this disconnect
      the network for a fraction of second? Is it even noticeable?

      -------------
      You got a bit of misinformation here the router can transmit on 5 GHz
      for A and 2.4 GHz for B and G. AS I understand it the A band can
      select the quietest channel at a reset or power cycle, it isn't an
      option on mine for B or G.

      > I am thinking that there maybe too many 2.4Ghz signals around my
      office - I have 2 phone lines on 2.4Ghz phones and 5 phones on them. I
      take that they check in with the base station all the time and also
      automatically adjust reception which can interfere with the 2.4Ghz of
      my wireless network. Also, there are at least 3-6 other wireless
      networks around me which I am almost positive are also 2.4 Ghz.

      > Although I change the channels all the time on the router, I get
      dropped connection even when sitting next to the router.

      > Perhaps the "ag" router will make a difference? I understand from
      what I was told the radius on them is somewhat shorter, but the
      connection is much stronger.

      -----------
      Changing to the A 5 GHz band router meand that you need 5 GHz A cards
      or built in WiFi for all your wireless clients too. The range is
      shorter and what I have seen on my unit is that at a similar signal
      strength A and G are about the same speed, that works out to about
      2/3s the distance of G for the same speed on A.

      > Can there be a "repeater" used for the dual band too? Or is it only
      for 2.4G primarily?

      ------------
      I haven't seen an A repeater on the market, the idea with A is that
      less range works out to more bandwith as you can have more routers
      serving the same area.

      > "Turning Your Home Dream into Reality"
      >
      > Sincerely Yours,
      >
      > IGGY Dybal - RE/MAX Best - Kansas City
      > Direct Office: 913-894-4024 Voicemail: 913-323-5408
      > Toll-free: 1-877-550-4449 Direct fax: 913-322-4162
      > Toll-free fax: 1-800-596-4449
      > E-mail: iggykc@e... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
      > Instant Messenger: AIM - "iggylenexa", Yahoo - "iggykc"
    • Stanley P. Miller
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2005
        The WRT55AG has several severe issues, the worst being transferring
        large files at high speed to the WiFi causes the WiFi section to lock
        up and drop the clients and hose the web interface. LinkSys has
        suggested several fixes, none of which worked and several of them made
        no sense. Throttling transfer speeds is the only thing that lets me
        move large files from LAN to WiFi, my net connection is too slow to
        cause the problem.

        It is also not based on the same chips as the WRT54 series routers and
        you are stuck with LinkSys buggy firmware and limited features. If I
        didn't need A band for one link I'd take it apart and reuse the box.

        Channel switching on A or BG requires a reboot and drops all clients.

        I'm seeing about 1/4th the range on A that I get on BG. No idea what
        stronger is, there is less other stuff working in the A range but a 5
        GHz phone will still cause problems.

        Bottom line unless you gotta have A or there is no way to work on BG
        skip it.