Wifi downloads three times slower than ethernet

  • Andrew O'Brien
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15, 2008
      I just discovered that my WIFI downloads are much slower than mu
      ethernet downloads. Two very similar Emachines desptops with 2.6 gHz
      CPUs, ethernet PC with 1 Gig RAM and the WiFi PC has 2 gigs of RAM.
      The reported wireless connections speed is "excellent". The 2 PCS are
      about 15 feet apart, on the same floor. The WRT54GS is new, replacing
      a BEFSR41 WAP54G combination. The slow WIFI may have been an issue
      before, not sure...my son used to always complain that his PC (the
      wifi one) was slower than in the days when it too was ethernet but I
      thought it was his imagination. Today I downloaded a file that seemed
      slow, I downloaded it again on the ethernet PC and it was 3-4 times
      faster. I repeated the test with other files from different sites,
      same outcome.

      Any ideas? Time to go back to Ethernet ?

      Andy
    • Kawauso
      Message 2 of 5 , May 15, 2008
        You should keep in mind, your wired connection with any linksys switch is going to be 100mbps, possibly 200mbps but I can't remember off the top of my head if all of the support full-duplex mode. Your average wireless G connection is going to give you in theory 54mbps max and the more people are connected the less your going to get. Unlike a switched network, each connection on wireless does not get 54mbps, you have to divide it up between users, if I'm remembering correctly.
        Its been a while since I studied the wireless protocols and tweaks vendors do to it to max out the speed, so if any of this is wrong/out of date forgive my ignorance.

        Anyways, the best wired connection is always going to be better than the best wireless connection. So if your looking for the best speed and don't need to be free of wires, I suggest going wired as opposed to wireless.

        Just my two cents.

        - Kawauso

        Andrew O'Brien wrote:

        I just discovered that my WIFI downloads are much slower than mu
        ethernet downloads. Two very similar Emachines desptops with 2.6 gHz
        CPUs, ethernet PC with 1 Gig RAM and the WiFi PC has 2 gigs of RAM.
        The reported wireless connections speed is "excellent". The 2 PCS are
        about 15 feet apart, on the same floor. The WRT54GS is new, replacing
        a BEFSR41 WAP54G combination. The slow WIFI may have been an issue
        before, not sure...my son used to always complain that his PC (the
        wifi one) was slower than in the days when it too was ethernet but I
        thought it was his imagination. Today I downloaded a file that seemed
        slow, I downloaded it again on the ethernet PC and it was 3-4 times
        faster. I repeated the test with other files from different sites,
        same outcome.

        Any ideas? Time to go back to Ethernet ?

        Andy

      • rapcomp
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2008
          Andy,
          The WRT54GS dose support full duplex Ethernet , so that would explain
          part of the disparity in speed, however you didn't mention what
          wireless card you have in the PC. Even these days using cards from
          different manufacturers can cause issues such as you are experiencing.
          It mostly has to do with settings, but can also be caused by non
          standard features such as the SpeedBooster on this model.
        • Andrew O'Brien
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2008
            Thanks. One thing to check is the wireless PCI card is an older
            Linksys card the router has Speedbooster, maybe they are not fully
            compatible.

            --
            Andy K3UK
            www.obriensweb.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 18, 2008
              Besides, you are running with a WRE54G too, and that cuts your band width in
              half, too start!
              To extend your range, without cutting it in half, two using two WAP54G
              teathered together. If you want more information, ask.

              Darrin J. Calcutt, CEO, COO
              Canadian Locomotive Logistics, http://atc.lovethosetrains.com
              D&R Promotions, http://my.hdvideo.ca
              , http://cam1.hdvideo.ca:1024
              , http://cam3.hdvideo.ca:1026

              Thanks to our sponsors for making Automatic Train Control.
              Download your free copy of the software from http://atc.lovethosetrains.com
              build 0540 password key 203504988968