WEP Keys and Mac/Windows/Linux

  • jchonig
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      I'm trying to help some friends out with wireless at their B&B, so I
      brought over one of my WRT54G test mules and set it up. With 7dB
      antennas I was able to cover both of their houses, which are 100-150'
      apart.

      But, I ran into problems with WEP keys. They use WEP to get some
      security while not shutting out guests whose old systems can not do
      WPA.

      Allowing the WRT54G to generate WEP keys from a passphrase gave me a
      key I could use on Linux as a Password. But it was necessary to type
      in the 26-digit hex key into their Macs.

      Is there an easy way to be able to use a text-based WEP key on Macs,
      Linux and Windows?

      Alternatively I might want to try to use alternate firmware that
      allows them to use MAC based authentication for the duration of a
      guest's stay? Is this what Talisman/Hot Spot is intended for?

      Thanks.

      Jeff