Problem with router changing IP address

  • phoenixbc
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
      I have tried talking to Linksys about this problem and I have tried
      other forums about it, but so far, no one seems to give me a good
      idea of what the problem is with my network. WHen I found this
      forum on Yahoo, I thought maybe someone here could give me some
      advice. I am not a network expert by anyone's imagination, so
      please bear with me.

      I have a linksys wrt54g ver 3 wireless router. My house is a
      combination of wired and wireless network. When I had the house
      build a few years back, I had each room wired for network with a hub
      in the garage. Last year, I had a need to add a wireless component
      to the network so I purcahsed the linksys router. Currently, I have
      the comcast modem connected to the router and the router connected
      to the hub. I have one computer and a Tivo connected through the
      wired portion of the network and one desktop and one laptop on the
      wireless system.

      THe router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, therefore, each
      computer or the tivo has a corresponding IP address 192.168.1.xxx.
      The problem is that at random times, and sometimes multiple times in
      a day and sometimes not for days, the IP address will change to
      192.168.2.1 and one of the computers will change to 192.168.2.xxx.
      Not all of the machines will change. Obviously, the one that has
      changed will not see the internet or the other machines. It does
      not happen to the tivo, but to one of the computers on either the
      wired or the wireless network.

      When it happens to the one on the wireless, I simply connect it to
      the router via a cable, go to the command prompt and do an
      ipconfig /release and then /renew and then disconnect the cable. If
      I do not connect the cable and try this, the IP address will not
      change back to 192.168.1.1.

      I don't understand why it is changing and Idon't understand why one
      computer will change and the others didn't that particular time. It
      has happened to both the computers on the wired and the wireless and
      it only happens to one computer and not all of them.

      For a while I thought it might have something to do with the brief
      power outages that we had been having so I put a UPS on the router
      and the modem just in case. But the problem has persisted.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks

      Bill
    • Rudy G.S.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
        hello Bill
        not a tech person here.. but I am wondering if your problem could be related to
        the dynamic/static IP address.
        static ip address is permanent,
        dynamic ip address changes regularly, which apparently is affecting you.
        just my opinion.

        Rudy

        phoenixbc wrote:

        > I have tried talking to Linksys about this problem and I have tried
        > other forums about it, but so far, no one seems to give me a good
        > idea of what the problem is with my network. WHen I found this
        > forum on Yahoo, I thought maybe someone here could give me some
        > advice. I am not a network expert by anyone's imagination, so
        > please bear with me.
        >
        > I have a linksys wrt54g ver 3 wireless router. My house is a
        > combination of wired and wireless network. When I had the house
        > build a few years back, I had each room wired for network with a hub
        > in the garage. Last year, I had a need to add a wireless component
        > to the network so I purcahsed the linksys router. Currently, I have
        > the comcast modem connected to the router and the router connected
        > to the hub. I have one computer and a Tivo connected through the
        > wired portion of the network and one desktop and one laptop on the
        > wireless system.
        >
        > THe router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, therefore, each
        > computer or the tivo has a corresponding IP address 192.168.1.xxx.
        > The problem is that at random times, and sometimes multiple times in
        > a day and sometimes not for days, the IP address will change to
        > 192.168.2.1 and one of the computers will change to 192.168.2.xxx.
        > Not all of the machines will change. Obviously, the one that has
        > changed will not see the internet or the other machines. It does
        > not happen to the tivo, but to one of the computers on either the
        > wired or the wireless network.
        >
        > When it happens to the one on the wireless, I simply connect it to
        > the router via a cable, go to the command prompt and do an
        > ipconfig /release and then /renew and then disconnect the cable. If
        > I do not connect the cable and try this, the IP address will not
        > change back to 192.168.1.1.
        >
        > I don't understand why it is changing and Idon't understand why one
        > computer will change and the others didn't that particular time. It
        > has happened to both the computers on the wired and the wireless and
        > it only happens to one computer and not all of them.
        >
        > For a while I thought it might have something to do with the brief
        > power outages that we had been having so I put a UPS on the router
        > and the modem just in case. But the problem has persisted.
        >
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bill

      • rapcomp
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
          Have you tried amy changes to try correcting the problem, such as
          updating the firmware? If so, please let us know what you have tried.

          Rich

          --- In WRT54G@yahoogroups.com, "phoenixbc" <phoenixwtc@...> wrote:

          > I have tried talking to Linksys about this problem and I have tried
          > other forums about it, but so far, no one seems to give me a good
          > idea of what the problem is with my network. WHen I found this
          > forum on Yahoo, I thought maybe someone here could give me some
          > advice. I am not a network expert by anyone's imagination, so
          > please bear with me.
          >
          > I have a linksys wrt54g ver 3 wireless router. My house is a
          > combination of wired and wireless network. When I had the house
          > build a few years back, I had each room wired for network with a hub
          > in the garage. Last year, I had a need to add a wireless component
          > to the network so I purcahsed the linksys router. Currently, I have
          > the comcast modem connected to the router and the router connected
          > to the hub. I have one computer and a Tivo connected through the
          > wired portion of the network and one desktop and one laptop on the
          > wireless system.
          >
          > THe router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, therefore, each
          > computer or the tivo has a corresponding IP address 192.168.1.xxx.
          > The problem is that at random times, and sometimes multiple times in
          > a day and sometimes not for days, the IP address will change to
          > 192.168.2.1 and one of the computers will change to 192.168.2.xxx.
          > Not all of the machines will change. Obviously, the one that has
          > changed will not see the internet or the other machines. It does
          > not happen to the tivo, but to one of the computers on either the
          > wired or the wireless network.
          >
          > When it happens to the one on the wireless, I simply connect it to
          > the router via a cable, go to the command prompt and do an
          > ipconfig /release and then /renew and then disconnect the cable. If
          > I do not connect the cable and try this, the IP address will not
          > change back to 192.168.1.1.
          >
          > I don't understand why it is changing and Idon't understand why one
          > computer will change and the others didn't that particular time. It
          > has happened to both the computers on the wired and the wireless and
          > it only happens to one computer and not all of them.
          >
          > For a while I thought it might have something to do with the brief
          > power outages that we had been having so I put a UPS on the router
          > and the modem just in case. But the problem has persisted.
          >
          > Any thoughts?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Bill

        • Nelson Ricciardi
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006

            Or have you changed the default password? Maybe someone is connecting to your network and playing with you.

            Have you tried amy changes to try correcting the problem, such as
            updating the firmware? If so, please let us know what you have tried.

            Rich

            --- In WRT54G@yahoogroups.com, "phoenixbc" <phoenixwtc@...> wrote:

            > I have tried talking to Linksys about this problem and I have tried
            > other forums about it, but so far, no one seems to give me a good
            > idea of what the problem is with my network.  WHen I found this
            > forum on Yahoo, I thought maybe someone here could give me some
            > advice.  I am not a network expert by anyone's imagination, so
            > please bear with me.
            >
            > I have a linksys wrt54g ver 3 wireless router.  My house is a
            > combination of wired and wireless network.  When I had the house
            > build a few years back, I had each room wired for network with a hub
            > in the garage.  Last year, I had a need to add a wireless component
            > to the network so I purcahsed the linksys router.  Currently, I have
            > the comcast modem connected to the router and the router connected
            > to the hub.  I have one computer and a Tivo connected through the
            > wired portion of the network and one desktop and one laptop on the
            > wireless system.
            >
            > THe router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, therefore, each
            > computer or the tivo has a corresponding IP address 192.168.1.xxx.
            > The problem is that at random times, and sometimes multiple times in
            > a day and sometimes not for days, the IP address will change to
            > 192.168.2.1 and one of the computers will change to 192.168.2.xxx.
            > Not all of the machines will change.  Obviously, the one that has
            > changed will not see the internet or the other machines.  It does
            > not happen to the tivo, but to one of the computers on either the
            > wired or the wireless network.
            >
            > When it happens to the one on the wireless, I simply connect it to
            > the router via a cable, go to the command prompt and do an
            > ipconfig /release and then /renew and then disconnect the cable.  If
            > I do not connect the cable and try this, the IP address will not
            > change back to 192.168.1.1.
            >
            > I don't understand why it is changing and Idon't understand why one
            > computer will change and the others didn't that particular time.  It
            > has happened to both the computers on the wired and the wireless and
            > it only happens to one computer and not all of them.
            >
            > For a while I thought it might have something to do with the brief
            > power outages that we had been having so I put a UPS on the router
            > and the modem just in case.  But the problem has persisted.
            >
            > Any thoughts?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Bill

          • Javier Perez
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
              What about deactivating the DHCP server and using
              fixed IP addresses?

              --- Nelson Ricciardi <home@...> wrote:

              > Or have you changed the default password? Maybe
              > someone is connecting to
              > your network and playing with you.
              >

              > _____

              cation+and+networking&w2=Linksys+router+wrt54g&c=2&s=61&.sig=VjgUlTGxtnkDksY
              > x5wK0Uw> and networking
              >
              > Linksys

              and+networking&w2=Linksys+router+wrt54g&c=2&s=61&.sig=2To4xnr1qHhYbK-ZvPJAVw
              > > router wrt54g
              >

              > _____
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >

              > * Visit your group "WRT54G
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WRT54G> "
              > on the web.

              > Yahoo! Terms of
              >

              > _____

              ------------------------------
              /\_/\
              |O O| pepebuho@...
              ~~~~ Javier Perez
              ~~~~ While the night runs
              ~~~~ toward the day...
              m m Pepebuho watches
              from his high perch.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Jon Etkins
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                Some observations in-line, and a suggestion following...

                phoenixbc wrote:
                > THe router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, therefore, each
                > computer or the tivo has a corresponding IP address 192.168.1.xxx.
                > The problem is that at random times, and sometimes multiple times in
                > a day and sometimes not for days, the IP address will change to
                > 192.168.2.1 and one of the computers will change to 192.168.2.xxx.
                > Not all of the machines will change. Obviously, the one that has
                > changed will not see the internet or the other machines. It does
                > not happen to the tivo, but to one of the computers on either the
                > wired or the wireless network.

                If the router changes to 192.168.2.1, then the client machine that also changes to 192.168.2.xxx should the only one that CAN access the Internet, since its default route should also have been changed to reflect the router's new address.

                > When it happens to the one on the wireless, I simply connect it to
                > the router via a cable, go to the command prompt and do an
                > ipconfig /release and then /renew and then disconnect the cable. If
                > I do not connect the cable and try this, the IP address will not
                > change back to 192.168.1.1.

                So are you saying that doing a release/renew on the client also causes the router to switch back to 192.168.1.1? That would be most peculiar.

                > I don't understand why it is changing and Idon't understand why one
                > computer will change and the others didn't that particular time. It
                > has happened to both the computers on the wired and the wireless and
                > it only happens to one computer and not all of them.

                Well the reason it's only happening to one machine at a time is because each individual client machine has a separate DHCP lease time. The client addresses only change when their lease period expires (actually when it's half-way to expiry, but that's another matter) - there is no way for the router to proactively push a new address to each client. If you were to wait around long enough, all the clients would switch to the new IP range eventually.

                OK, so, what's happening. Well, I'm not surprised that Linksys were no help, because this is definitely a "should not occur" condition. Once the router's internal IP address is set via the web interface, it should never change unless and until someone logs back into the router and reconfigures it. HOWEVER...

                I wonder if perhaps the router is detecting a conflict between the internal and external subnets, and reconfiguring itself to resolve the conflict. Most cable modems include their own DHCP server which will give a connected client (PC or router) a private IP address if they are not connected to the cable network. This is so that a tech can connect to the internal service pages of the modem for troubleshooting in case of service difficulties.

                In most cases, the range the modem uses is 192.168.100.xxx or above, but it's just possible that your modem is set to use 192.168.1.xxx. If that were the case, and you temporarily lost connectivity to your ISP, the modem would issue a 192.168.1.xxx address to the router's external port, which would conflict with the internal subnet. It's just possible that the router might then switch its internal address on the fly to avoid that conflict.

                Of course this is entirely hypothetical, but short of someone hacking in and reconfiguring your router, I can't think of any other circumstance that might cause what you're seeing.

                As for what to do about it, I think the simplest solution is to stop fighting it and "go with the flow". If something is causing the router to abandon 192.168.1.xxx, then just accept that and reconfigure it to use 192.168.2.xxx, or 192.168.55.xxx, or any other 192.168.xxx.xxx subnet (remembering that 0 and 255 are invalid), and release/renew all your clients to pick up the new range. You can force the TiVo to grab a new address by repeating the network setup process in its menus.

                Another alternative would be to switch to a third-party firmware, but I'm not sure if you want to get that deep into it. Did Linksys have you update the unit to their latest firmware, BTW?

                Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.

                Cheers,
                Jon Etkins
                WRT54G Mod.

                Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006

                  I have updated the firmware.  I am on the current firmware according to linksys.

                  Bill

                  Have you tried amy changes to try correcting the problem, such as
                  updating the firmware? If so, please let us know what you have tried.

                  Rich

                  --- In WRT54G@yahoogroups.com, "phoenixbc" <phoenixwtc@...> wrote:

                  > I have tried talking to Linksys about this problem and I have tried
                  > other forums about it, but so far, no one seems to give me a good
                  > idea of what the problem is with my network.  WHen I found this
                  > forum on Yahoo, I thought maybe someone here could give me some
                  > advice.  I am not a network expert by anyone's imagination, so
                  > please bear with me.
                  >
                  > I have a linksys wrt54g ver 3 wireless router.  My house is a
                  > combination of wired and wireless network.  When I had the house
                  > build a few years back, I had each room wired for network with a hub
                  > in the garage.  Last year, I had a need to add a wireless component
                  > to the network so I purcahsed the linksys router.  Currently, I have
                  > the comcast modem connected to the router and the router connected
                  > to the hub.  I have one computer and a Tivo connected through the
                  > wired portion of the network and one desktop and one laptop on the
                  > wireless system.
                  >
                  > THe router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, therefore, each
                  > computer or the tivo has a corresponding IP address 192.168.1.xxx.
                  > The problem is that at random times, and sometimes multiple times in
                  > a day and sometimes not for days, the IP address will change to
                  > 192.168.2.1 and one of the computers will change to 192.168.2.xxx.
                  > Not all of the machines will change.  Obviously, the one that has
                  > changed will not see the internet or the other machines.  It does
                  > not happen to the tivo, but to one of the computers on either the
                  > wired or the wireless network.
                  >
                  > When it happens to the one on the wireless, I simply connect it to
                  > the router via a cable, go to the command prompt and do an
                  > ipconfig /release and then /renew and then disconnect the cable.  If
                  > I do not connect the cable and try this, the IP address will not
                  > change back to 192.168.1.1.
                  >
                  > I don't understand why it is changing and Idon't understand why one
                  > computer will change and the others didn't that particular time.  It
                  > has happened to both the computers on the wired and the wireless and
                  > it only happens to one computer and not all of them.
                  >
                  > For a while I thought it might have something to do with the brief
                  > power outages that we had been having so I put a UPS on the router
                  > and the modem just in case.  But the problem has persisted.
                  >
                  > Any thoughts?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Bill

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006

                    I have not tried this but every time I talk to linksys, the first thing they ask about is whether or not I have auto set IP address set or fixed IP address set.  They always tell me to run the auto IP address select.

                    I was recently reading a book on networks and they too recommended using the auto set.

                    Bill

                    What about deactivating the DHCP server and using
                    fixed IP addresses?

                    --- Nelson Ricciardi <home@...> wrote:

                    > Or have you changed the default password? Maybe
                    > someone is connecting to
                    > your network and playing with you.
                    >

                    >   _____

                    Service.

                    >   _____

                    ------------------------------
                    /\_/\
                    |O O|  pepebuho@...
                    ~~~~       Javier Perez
                    ~~~~          While the night runs
                    ~~~~          toward the day...
                      m m     Pepebuho watches
                            from his high perch.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006

                      I rally doubt anyone is being malicious in this regard, but is there a possibility that someone is inadvertently getting into mine thinking it is theirs and setting what they think is their’s?

                      Bill

                      Or have you changed the default password? Maybe someone is connecting to your network and playing with you.

                      Have you tried amy changes to try correcting the problem, such as
                      updating the firmware? If so, please let us know what you have tried.

                      Rich

                      --- In WRT54G@yahoogroups.com, "phoenixbc" <phoenixwtc@...> wrote:

                      > I have tried talking to Linksys about this problem and I have tried
                      > other forums about it, but so far, no one seems to give me a good
                      > idea of what the problem is with my network.  WHen I found this
                      > forum on Yahoo, I thought maybe someone here could give me some
                      > advice.  I am not a network expert by anyone's imagination, so
                      > please bear with me.
                      >
                      > I have a linksys wrt54g ver 3 wireless router.  My house is a
                      > combination of wired and wireless network.  When I had the house
                      > build a few years back, I had each room wired for network with a hub
                      > in the garage.  Last year, I had a need to add a wireless component
                      > to the network so I purcahsed the linksys router.  Currently, I have
                      > the comcast modem connected to the router and the router connected
                      > to the hub.  I have one computer and a Tivo connected through the
                      > wired portion of the network and one desktop and one laptop on the
                      > wireless system.
                      >
                      > THe router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, therefore, each
                      > computer or the tivo has a corresponding IP address 192.168.1.xxx.
                      > The problem is that at random times, and sometimes multiple times in
                      > a day and sometimes not for days, the IP address will change to
                      > 192.168.2.1 and one of the computers will change to 192.168.2.xxx.
                      > Not all of the machines will change.  Obviously, the one that has
                      > changed will not see the internet or the other machines.  It does
                      > not happen to the tivo, but to one of the computers on either the
                      > wired or the wireless network.
                      >
                      > When it happens to the one on the wireless, I simply connect it to
                      > the router via a cable, go to the command prompt and do an
                      > ipconfig /release and then /renew and then disconnect the cable.  If
                      > I do not connect the cable and try this, the IP address will not
                      > change back to 192.168.1.1.
                      >
                      > I don't understand why it is changing and Idon't understand why one
                      > computer will change and the others didn't that particular time.  It
                      > has happened to both the computers on the wired and the wireless and
                      > it only happens to one computer and not all of them.
                      >
                      > For a while I thought it might have something to do with the brief
                      > power outages that we had been having so I put a UPS on the router
                      > and the modem just in case.  But the problem has persisted.
                      >
                      > Any thoughts?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Bill

                    • Jon Etkins
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                        Bill wrote:
                        > I rally doubt anyone is being malicious in this regard, but is there a
                        > possibility that someone is inadvertently getting into mine thinking it
                        > is theirs and setting what they think is their’s?

                        If your wireless is open and you haven't changed the default password, it's entirely possible. Those are the first two things that anyone should change, even before connecting any other client machines.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                          If I am using the WEP security with a key, is this still considered open?

                        • Rich
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                            What is your external ip? is it in the 192.168.1.x range?? this could
                            be whats causing the conflicts and changing your ip. its a longshot,
                            but linksys is set to failover under certain conditions...

                            On 6/1/06, Jon Etkins <jon@...> wrote:
                            > Bill wrote:
                            > > I rally doubt anyone is being malicious in this regard, but is there a
                            > > possibility that someone is inadvertently getting into mine thinking it
                            > > is theirs and setting what they think is their's?
                            >
                            > If your wireless is open and you haven't changed the default password, it's entirely possible. Those are the first two things that anyone should change, even before connecting any other client machines.

                            Rich
                          • silvio lopez
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                              I have heard of a similar bug, but that was with a
                              wrt54g v5. In that case it was related to the upnp
                              feature (when it was turned off, the problem would
                              end).
                              I would suggest clearing the nvram by holding down
                              the reset button for 30 seconds then disconnecting the
                              power. You will have to re-enter all of your
                              settings.
                              Better yet, I would install hyperwrt, that way you
                              can turn your wrt54g into a wrt54gs, and have the
                              ability to set/check your variables on a command line.
                              Just my .02 cents..

                            • rapcomp
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                                I would suggest changing your password and SSID. Also change the LAN
                                IP (Local IP Address) for the router to 10.2.1.1 and the DHCP starting
                                address to 10.2.1.100, and set the number of DHCP addresses to the
                                number of computers you have.
                                On the wireless side, I would disable the SSID broadcast, turn on MAC
                                address filtering, and allow only the MAC addresses you list to access
                                the network. Also enable WPA for 802.11g or WEP for older 802.11b devices.

                                Hope this helps, If you have questions, Please feel free to E-mail me.

                                Rich

                                --- In WRT54G@yahoogroups.com, Rich <dvshadow@...> wrote:

                                > What is your external ip? is it in the 192.168.1.x range?? this could
                                > be whats causing the conflicts and changing your ip. its a longshot,
                                > but linksys is set to failover under certain conditions...
                                >
                                > On 6/1/06, Jon Etkins <jon@...> wrote:
                                > > Bill wrote:
                                > > > I rally doubt anyone is being malicious in this regard, but is
                                there a
                                > > > possibility that someone is inadvertently getting into mine
                                thinking it
                                > > > is theirs and setting what they think is their's?
                                > >
                                > > If your wireless is open and you haven't changed the default
                                password, it's entirely possible. Those are the first two things that
                                anyone should change, even before connecting any other client machines.

                                > --
                                > Rich

                              • rapcomp
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                                  No, It's considered open if you mack no attempt to limt access.

                                  --- In WRT54G@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <phoenixwtc@...> wrote:

                                  > If I am using the WEP security with a key, is this still considered
                                  open?

                                • TJ Tryon
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                                    No, you are plenty secure. If anyone tells you this is not sufficient for
                                    home use, you'll find out they are the people with aluminum foil hats on
                                    their head to stop the radio waves.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006

                                      Thanks.  I’ve done the rest more times than I care to count.  It doesn’t seem to stop the problem from occurring the next time.  What is hyperwrt?

> [...]

                                      > connect it to
                                      > the router via a cable, go to the command prompt and
                                      > do an
                                      > ipconfig /release and then /renew and then
                                      > disconnect the cable.  If
                                      > I do not connect the cable and try this, the IP
                                      > address will not
                                      > change back to 192.168.1.1.
                                      >
                                      > I don't understand why it is changing and Idon't
                                      > understand why one
                                      > computer will change and the others didn't that
                                      > particular time.  It
                                      > has happened to both the computers on the wired and
                                      > the wireless and
                                      > it only happens to one computer and not all of them.
                                      >
                                      > For a while I thought it might have something to do
                                      > with the brief
                                      > power outages that we had been having so I put a UPS
                                      > on the router
                                      > and the modem just in case.  But the problem has

                                    • Bill
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006

                                        Okay, you’re hitting the limit of my knowledge here.  How do I check the external IP?

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                                          Bill wrote:
                                          > If I am using the WEP security with a key, is this still considered open?

                                          No, that should secure you from all but really determined hackers.

                                          Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)
                                        • Tony
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                                            silvio lopez wrote:

                                            > I would suggest clearing the nvram by holding down
                                            > the reset button for 30 seconds then disconnecting the
                                            > power. You will have to re-enter all of your
                                            > settings.

                                            Don't you hold down the reset button and then apply power or have I got
                                            this all wrong? It seems to work for me.
                                            Bill, what are the exact firmware and hardware versions that you are
                                            running?
                                            Tone

                                            --
                                            A Beginners Guide to Scanning -
                                            http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.ling/radio/begin/begin.htm

                                            Icom IC-R20 Manual Re-Written -
                                            http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tony.ling/radio/IC-R20/R20um00.htm

                                            The PogSaG group for all sorts of digital decoding -

                                            Yahoo! Photos is now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo. http://uk.photos.yahoo.com
                                          • Bill
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006

                                              The firmware is 4.20.7 and the hardware version is 3.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                                                3rd party firmware http://www.hyperwrt.org

                                                I've used it a bit, it's not bad, mostly for power boosting

> [...]

                                                > connect it to
                                                > the router via a cable, go to the command prompt and
                                                > do an
                                                > ipconfig /release and then /renew and then
                                                > disconnect the cable.  If
                                                > I do not connect the cable and try this, the IP
                                                > address will not
                                                > change back to 192.168.1.1.
                                                >
                                                > I don't understand why it is changing and Idon't
                                                > understand why one
                                                > computer will change and the others didn't that
                                                > particular time.  It
                                                > has happened to both the computers on the wired and
                                                > the wireless and
                                                > it only happens to one computer and not all of them.
                                                >
                                                > For a while I thought it might have something to do
                                                > with the brief
                                                > power outages that we had been having so I put a UPS
                                                > on the router
                                                > and the modem just in case.  But the problem has

                                              • Jon Etkins
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                                                  (I originally sent this several hours ago, but it still hasn't appeared on the group page. Apologies if you wind up getting it twice.)

                                                  phoenixbc wrote:
> [...]

                                                  As for what to do about it, I think the simplest solution is to stop fighting it and "go with the flow". If something is causing the router to abandon 192.168.1.xxx, then just accept that and reconfigure it to use 192.168.2.xxx, or 192.168.55.xxx, or any other 192.168.xxx.xxx subnet (remembering that 0 and 255 are invalid), and release/renew all your clients to pick up the new range. You can force the TiVo to grab a new address by repeating the network setup process in its menus.

                                                  Another alternative would be to switch to a third-party firmware, but I'm not sure if you want to get that deep into it. Did Linksys have you update the unit to their latest firmware, BTW?

                                                  Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.

                                                • Mike VA3MW
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                                                    WEP security is broken and can be hacked in a few minutes with Airsnort.

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                                                      Or dd-wrt.  Both are excellent.
> [...]

                                                      > connect it to
                                                      > the router via a cable, go to the command prompt and
                                                      > do an
                                                      > ipconfig /release and then /renew and then
                                                      > disconnect the cable.  If
                                                      > I do not connect the cable and try this, the IP
                                                      > address will not
                                                      > change back to 192.168.1.1.
                                                      >
                                                      > I don't understand why it is changing and Idon't
                                                      > understand why one
                                                      > computer will change and the others didn't that
                                                      > particular time.  It
                                                      > has happened to both the computers on the wired and
                                                      > the wireless and
                                                      > it only happens to one computer and not all of them.
                                                      >
                                                      > For a while I thought it might have something to do
                                                      > with the brief
                                                      > power outages that we had been having so I put a UPS
                                                      > on the router
                                                      > and the modem just in case.  But the problem has

                                                    • wiltonh2000
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                                                        > I would suggest changing your password and SSID. Also change the LAN
                                                        > IP (Local IP Address) for the router to 10.2.1.1 and the DHCP starting
                                                        > address to 10.2.1.100, and set the number of DHCP addresses to the
                                                        > number of computers you have.
                                                        > On the wireless side, I would disable the SSID broadcast, turn on MAC
                                                        > address filtering, and allow only the MAC addresses you list to access
                                                        > the network. Also enable WPA for 802.11g or WEP for older 802.11b
                                                        devices.

                                                        All the things listed above make a very secure system but they can
                                                        also cause you problems. Until you know more about what is going on I
                                                        would not add all the security features.

                                                        The one that can cause you the most problem is turning off the
                                                        broadcast of SSID. Some versions of windows will drop you every few
                                                        minutes if you do not broadcast your SSID. Adding WEP will also slow
                                                        your connection down. MAC address filtering is my choice for security
                                                        and if there is anything going on that I do not understand it gets
                                                        shut of immediately. Found a problem last night with an Airlink101
                                                        internet camera,that would not connect, until I turned off Mac address
                                                        filtering and turned it back on. The Airlink camera has lots of
                                                        strange quirks.

                                                        Your external IP address will be your Comcast IP address and is found
                                                        on your first setup page. I doubt that has anything to do with your
                                                        problem.

                                                        The best answer I have seen is someone else messing with your system.
                                                        I do not run the standard Linksys code but I believe that under the
                                                        Administration tab you can put a password on your wireless setup
                                                        pages. You can also not allow configuration from the wireless. You
                                                        may not think that someone can see your signal but I am running an
                                                        antenna that will pick up a wifi signal from a router at 3 to 5 miles.

                                                        If you enable mac address filtering, people would not be able to
                                                        connect from the outside and mess with your settings.

                                                        Wilton
                                                      • TJ Tryon
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                                                          If someone wants to go to all that trouble sitting outside my house, so be it.  The likelyhood of that actually happening is slim.