Straw Proposal on WREGIS Governance

  • Jan Hamrin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2004
      Please send your comments back to me by Monday, August 16, 2004.  We will schedule Conference Calls during the last two weeks of August to discuss key issues.  When you send your comments, also indicate a day of the week that is most convenient for you to participate in the calls.

      Attached is a straw proposal on WREGIS Governance that we would like you to review and provide comments.

      The first portion of the document simply lays out the responsibilities of the parties so everyone understands the context within which WREGIS decision-making will take place.

      The second part of the document is a straw proposal regarding the composition and decision-making protocol of the WREGIS Committee (the WREGIS decision-making body within WECC).  It also lays out the composition and protocol for the WREGIS Advisory Committee.  Once we have completed the IC process and have gotten approval by the WREGIS Sponsors, the final composition and protocol rules will be incorporated into WREGIS By-laws that will guide WREGIS decision-making and governance as the WREGIS Program is integrated as a Board Committee of WECC.

      The principles that you should consider when reading and commenting are attached to this on this document (they are from the Final Phase I Report).

      In addition, since the California Energy Commission is investing well over a million dollars in the development of WREGIS and will act as a financial backstop for WREGIS during its first three years of operation, we must assume that there will be a need for financial and programmatic accountability back to the State.  That means there needs to be mechanisms that allow California to invoke safeguards to protect their financial investment, ensure all monies are handled properly (from a financial audit perspective) and ensures WREGIS continues to provide the services necessary for the CEC to meet its statutory responsibilities.  The CEC is checking with the CA Department of Finance to ascertain any specific mechanisms they will need in return for releasing funds for this project.  (We will inform you about these as we receive that information.)

      Meanwhile, I tried to design a decision-making process that might provide such safeguards for CA while balancing the interests of other WREGIS participants and stakeholders.  We are looking to you to refine these ideas and/or suggest other ways to achieve these goals.

      Please send your comments back to me by Monday, August 16, 2004.  We will schedule Conference Calls during the last two weeks of August to discuss key issues.  When you send your comments, also indicate a day of the week that is most convenient for you to participate in the calls.

      Once we have completed the WREGIS Governance piece, we will begin work on the Fee Structure, so let's be as efficient as possible so we can effectively complete our tasks in a reasonable time period. Thank you for participating.

      Jan Hamrin

      _______________________
      Jan Hamrin, Ph.D
      Executive Director
      Center for Resource Solutions
      P.O. Box 29512
      Presidio Building #97,  Arguello Blvd.
      San Francisco, CA  94129
      Ph:  415/561-2100
      Fax: 415/561-2105
      email: jhamrin@...
      ______________________________
      Information on CRS programs is available at www.resource-solutions.org
      Curious about Green-e and green power? Check out www.green-e.org
    • Harvey W. Boyce
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2004
        Jan,

        The Arizona Power Authority has reviewed the draft proposal on WREGIS Governance and find it to be acceptable to us.  We believe that the processes have willowed out the extraneous and have focused on a workable proposal for governance, administration and home for WREGIS.  We desire to continue our participation in the process.  Accordingly, we would like to be a member of the Stakeholders Subcommittee, initially as a State Agency / Public Interest Group category or classification.

        Our thanks to you and to all that have participated in this process.  It was a huge task and was accomplished with great professionalism.

        Harvey Boyce
        Director, Administrative Services
        Arizona Power Authority
        (602) 542-4263

        Information on CRS programs is available at www.resource-solutions.org
        Curious about Green-e and green power? Check out www.green-e.org

        Western Renewable Energy Generation Information System (WREGIS)
        http://www.westgov.org/wieb/wregis

        If you wish to participate in or receive updates on the development process,
        please see: http://www.westgov.org/wieb/wregis/committees.htm

        If you have any questions, please contact:
        Matthew Lehman at mlehman@... / 415-561-2100
        Nellie Tong at ntong@... / 510-891-0446

      • Janice Alward
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2004
          The Straw Proposal appears to address several key issues reflected in ACC earlier comments. But some questions occur after review of the Straw proposal are: 1. Do the WREGIS Sponsors report to any entity that includes other WREGIS participants. 2. Table 1 was difficult to read...does that Table reflect WREGIS Sponsors, and if not, are they identified with specificity in the Straw Proposal. 3. What does ensure "confidentiality" mean in context of the WREGIS Committee responsibility on the first page of the Draft.

          The ACC wishes to continue to be involved in these processes, and our Commissioners have previously indicated that they may be interested in considering the possibility of an ACC role in the decision making and policy advisory bodies of WREGIS. If they or one of them (or even ACC Staff) assumed a decision making or advisory role in WREGIS, would the set up as described in the Straw proposal place them in a reporting position to the Sponsors, such as the CEC. We look forward to discussing the Straw Porposal at the tel conf. in the next few weeks.

          And as others have noted, thanks for the drafters hard work.

          >>> jhamrin@... 08/04/04 02:58PM >>>

          Information on CRS programs is available at www.resource-solutions.org
          Curious about Green-e and green power? Check out www.green-e.org

          This footnote confirms that this email message
          has been scanned to detect malicious content.

          If you experience problems, please contact
          postmaster@...