WOSSNAME -- MAY 2002 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2002
      WOSSNAME -- MAY 2002 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      10) LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      SOME NOTES ON STYLE

      To the Editor:

      I recently had to do a project on Terry Pratchett's writing style. At
      first, I thought that it would be wonderful to do a project on a author
      whose work I love reading so much. However, when it came time to do a
      synopsis on three of his books, I was stuck. It was then when I realized how
      richly layered Pratchett books really are. Sure, I probably could've made
      "The Fifth Elephant" into something like "Ambassador Goes to Fat Country
      and Solves Mystery," but that excludes everything that I loved about
      Pratchett
      books. I wanted to include the humorous parts, and definitely the sarcastic
      reasonable Granny tone parts. Yet, I couldn't. Pratchett books cannot be
      synopsized no matter how hard you try. Oh well, I guess. However, I do still
      have that project which I still have to present to my Fellow Recipients of
      the Alter of Knowledge tomorrow(Sigh of a Large Papa Bear).

      --Alicia Chen, sdhrblpa@...
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      11) TERRY ON COMEDY AWARD SHORTLIST

      Terry Pratchett is on the shortlist for the Bollinger Everyman
      Wodehouse Prize, a major UK comedy book prize.

      Books by Ben Elton, Nick Hornby, Alexei Sayle and
      Terry Pratchett are among those vying for the prestigious
      prize, selected from 25 titles in the longlist.

      The winner will be chosen by judges James Naughtie and
      Christopher Hitchens.

      Terry's title is "Thief Of Time."

      Last year's winner was Jonathan Coe for The Rotter's Club.
      He received a case of champagne and had a pig named
      after his book.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      12) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: EQUAL RITES
      Answer the questions and put the letter
      indicated into the spot shown. Read the word
      backwards and discover name of the first female
      Discworld wizard at UU. (Note: all spellings are
      from the 1987 Gollancz edition.)

      Example: Pratchett - 1st letter: ANSWER: Terry LETTER: T

      1. Home town of first female wizard (FFW) to be admitted to
      Unseen University - 2nd letter

      2. River traders on the Ankh - 4th letter

      3. Eldest brother of FFW in 1 above - 3rd letter

      4. Father of FFW in 1 above - 3rd letter

      5. Archmage of the Wizards of the Silver - 4th letter

      6. Landlord of The Fiddler's Riddle - 2nd letter

      7. Young male wizard in training - 1st letter

      8. A hideous old dark god of the Necrotelicomnicon - 2nd letter

      __/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/ = First name of FFW in 1 above
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/8*/

      Puzzle solution will appear next month.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      SOLUTION TO LAST MONTH'S PUZZLE:
      THE LIGHT FANTASTIC

      1. Neolithic spaceship - 5th letter POTENT VOYAGER = N

      2. Gnome guide to gingerbread cottage - 3nd letter SWIRES = I

      3. Former librarian - 7th letter ORANG OUTANG
      (as spelled on p. 11) = U

      4. Second in command of wizards' Order of the Silver Star -
      1st letter, last name YMPER TRYON = T

      5. Very large elderly troll - 6th letter OLD GRANDAD = A

      6. Most powerful book of magic - 3rd letter OCTAVO = T

      7. Leader of Morpork mercenaries - 2nd letter GANCIA = A

      8. The hub of the Disc - 6th letter CORI CELESTI = E

      9. The Henna-Haired Harridan - 3rd letter HERRENA = R

      10. A male Weatherwax - 1st letter GALDER WEATHERWAX = G

      *N/*I/*U/T*/A*/T*/A*/E*/R*/G*/ = Most important Disc animal
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/8*/9*/10/

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo