WOSSNAME - MAY 2002 - PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2002
      May 2002 (Volume 5, Issue 5)
      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Megan Perry

      1) THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH
      2) COLIN ON "THE NIGHT WATCH"
      3) SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD 2: A REVIEW
      4) NEW DISCWORLD GAME BEING DEVELOPED
      5) TERRY MEETS HIGH LORD OF DW MUD
      6) PRATCHETT IN RUSSIAN
      7) CANADIANS SEEK TO ORGANIZE
      8) CHICAGO PRODUCTION OF MORT

      ====Part 2

      9) YOUR DISC HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3

      10) LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
      11) TERRY ON COMEDY AWARD SHORT LIST
      12) PUZZLE: EQUAL RITES

      1) THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH

      One Disc to rule them all,
      One Disc to find them,
      One Disc to bring them all
      And in the darkness bind them.
      In the land of Morpork, where the Shades lay.

      -- Adam 'Cousken' Politañski

      2) COLIN ON "THE NIGHT WATCH"

      With the issue of Transworld Publishers' catalogue for
      July 2002 to January 2003, I can now send you the
      description of the Night Watch that appears in it.
      ------------------------------------
      Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch
      had it all. But now he's back in his own rough, tough past
      without even the clothes he was standing up in when the
      lightning struck.

      Living in the past is hard. Dying in the past is incredibly
      easy. But he must survive, because he has a job to do.
      He must track down a murderer, teach his younger self
      how to be a good copper and change the outcome of a
      bloody rebellion. There's a problem: if he wins, he's got
      no wife, no children, no future.

      A Discworld Tale of One City, with a full chorus of street
      urchins, ladies of negotiable affection, rebels, secret
      policemen and other children of the revolution.
      Truth! Justice! Freedom! And a hard-boiled egg!

      320 pages. Hardcover. Publication Date: 7 November 2002
      UK: ISBN 0-385 60264-2 Doubleday (Transworld) GBP 16.99
      US: ISBN 0-06-001- 3117 HarperCollins (Amazon.com USD 17.47)

      -- Colin

      3) SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD 2: A REVIEW

      What can one say about a book that tries to explain some
      rather large ideas concerning the development of the
      human mind by using wizards from a place that
      technically exists only in the mind of a clever man? Why,
      by extrapolating what the wizards are doing and how it
      might work in our world.

      The science parts were interesting in a "so that's how it
      works" kind of way and other parts of the book challenge
      the mindsets and thinking as to why we do what we do
      regarding art, religion and other things.

      The Discworld parts link the science parts well, though
      they may have been a bit short, but then again everybody
      wants more of the Terry's writings.

      I think the writers' styles combine well and if you have
      an interest in science, the Discworld part is a bonus,
      and if you like Discworld, the science part may help you
      question of what you think of as understood "truths."

      -- qoutheraven@...

      4) NEW DISCWORLD GAME BEING DEVELOPED

      We have received a call for volunteers from "Moloko" who
      reports that he is currently in the planning stages of a
      Discworld mod for a new computer RPG called Morrowind.

      The game comes with an editor which allows people to
      create entirely new worlds for t game, and he is looking
      for people who would like to help with the mod.

      The program is not very difficult, and if you have some
      basic knowledge of programming or computer aided design,
      that's really all you need. Also, if anyone is good with 3D studio
      max, that would help out greatly, in adding some new
      character models into the game. If you have any
      interest at all in working on this venture, please email:
      moloko_plus@...

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      KFL AROUND THE WORLD

      Paul Godsil writes from Australia::

      > When Terry met Dave, the High Lord of DW Mud, Terry
      > apparently said "So you run that mud I don't know
      > about."

      How could I forget Pinkfish. Tall dude. Very tall dude.
      About 7 feet, in socks. Very nice guy, tho.

      He stayed at my house for a week or so, back before
      the Sydney Mudmeet - he stopped off in NZ, so we
      had an impromptu mudmeet for him :-)

      Hmm. Enough namedropping. Nice chaps, tho, on
      the whole, the cres. (ED: cres? whatever that means)

      -- Loopy

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) PRATCHETT IN RUSSIAN

      To the Editor:

      I am new to the discussion but am an avid TP collector.
      I recently bought approximately 12 TP books in Russian.

      Does anyone know how many have books have been issued
      in this language and where to get them from? I got mine
      from Ebay, however, the seller does not have any more and
      obviously will not tell me where he got them from.

      -- ap_hudson@...

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) CANADIANS SEEK TO ORGANIZE

      To the Editor:

      Meaning no offence to our marvellous U.S. cousins
      (who have unfortunate spelling habits, but that is
      another story entirely)....... BUT: Has anyone ever
      thought/offered/suggested/whinged (etc.) about a
      CANADIAN Guild segment on the Counterweight
      Continent???????

      As I mentioned, no offence intended, as WOSSNAME
      is a WONDERFUL thing, and Mr. Schaumburger does
      a stupendous job...... but, there you have it.....
      American, doncha know, and all that.

      Not that I am a writer of any sort entirely, but would I be
      able to help out at all. (Gosh, can't believe I'm saying this.....
      sort of feel like Rincewind... in the teeth of the universe,
      so to speak.)

      Looking forward (tremblingly) to your replies????

      Sheila Ross
      E-mail: sheila@...

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      8) CHICAGO PRODUCTION OF MORT

      To the Editor:

      I just wanted to write in about my experience going to see the
      Chicago production of Mort. I took my sister and her boyfriend, both
      of whom have never read a Discworld novel (stubborn, they are). I
      was nervous that, as Discworld novices, they might not get into the
      humor or follow the story. Boy was I wrong! They laughed out loud
      through the whole play and kept bringing up their favorite parts for
      days later. I thought the show was great, and I hope to have the
      opportunity to see more stage productions of Pratchett novels soon.

      -- Heidi in Indiana

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo