WOSSNAME - APRIL 2002 - PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26 11:42 AM
      April 2002 (Volume 5, Issue 4)
      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Geof Johns, Michael Jones
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Megan Perry

      1) KNOCK KNOCK
      2) TERRY ON "THE NIGHT WATCH"
      3) TERRY COMING TO CANADA
      4) REVIEW OF US PRODUCTION OF 'MORT"
      5) FIRST PRATCHETT EDITION IN WELSH

      ====Part 2

      6) KFL MEETS
      7) LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

      ====Part 3

      8) MORE DETAILS ON THUD
      9) GAIMAN NOMINATED FOR HUGO AWARD
      10) PUZZLE: THE LIGHT FANTASTIC
      11) LAST MINUTE NEWS

      1) KNOCK KNOCK

      Knock Knock
      Who's there?
      Mort!
      Mort who?
      Mort to the point, who are you!

      -- Nanny Ogg, nanny_oggg@...

      2) TERRY ON "THE NIGHT WATCH"

      On being asked if he'd written any descriptive text about
      'Night Watch' that could be passed on to fans, Terry replied:

      >No. All I'll say is that it concerns the City Watch and the action
      >takes place on the day Lady Sybil's baby is born -- and that the
      >preceding statement, while technically accurate, is entirely misleading!

      -- Colin

      3) TERRY COMING TO CANADA

      North American Discworld Society members
      can look forward to seeing Terry Pratchett
      in Canada on this schedule:

      > Vancouver, BC May 6
      7.00-9.00pm at the St. James
      Hall (3214 West 10th Avenue). Tickets
      (fundraiser for the BC Library Association) are
      $10 and are available from White Dwarf Books
      or from the BC Library Association
      (credit card sales) - 604-683-5354, according to
      Jim Looney, Manager, Technology & Information Services
      Public Library Services Branch.

      > Victoria, BC May 7
      7.00-9.00pm Talk reading and signing
      Bolen books, 111-1644 Hillside Avenue, Victoria

      > Edmonton, AB May 8
      7.00pm Greenwoods Bookstore,
      10355 Whyte Avenue, Edmonton
      (meeting media during afternoon after arrival)

      Terry then flies to Toronto on 9th
      > Toronto, May 9 - 11"
      10th 7.30pm University of Toronto Bookstore,
      214 College Street, Toronto

      4) REVIEW OF US PRODUCTION OF 'MORT"

      Drew Dannhorn, Producing Director, of the
      first US production of "Mort" in Chicago, IL,
      in April 2002 sends us this review:

      WINDY CITY TIMES. Wednesday, April 17th.

      Mort

      Playwright: adapted by Stephen Briggs from the novel by
      Terry Pratchett

      At: Push & Shove Inc. at Breadline

      Phone: (773) 477-8139, $7

      Runs through: April 28

      by Mary Shen Barnidge

      In the realm of Discworld, it's unsurprising that a
      young man named Mort would be offered a job by the Grim
      Reaper...especially when his new boss happens to have a
      daughter ("by adoption, of course!"). No sooner is the
      new apprentice given a solo project, however, than he
      bungles it by striking down an assassin before the
      latter has completed his regicidal mission, thus
      creating a tributary in the course of history. Further
      complicating the situation is the revelation of the
      company office manager's secret past and the
      disappearance of the CEO himself.

      An entire alternative universe is a lot to pack into
      the limited running time of a play. Fortunately, the
      plot is only a pretext for Terry Pratchett's satirical
      commentary on his own society...i.e. England in the
      1980s and '90s...most of it reflecting the slap-happy
      humor characteristic of the science-fiction/fantasy
      genre. A mystic for whom Death is just a reincarnative
      step, for example, or the experiences encountered by
      the Harvester Of Souls as he enjoys a holiday among
      revelers unaware of his true identity (yes, he gets
      laid).

      This Push and Shove Inc. production of Stephen Briggs'
      adaptation, under the direction of Andrew Dannhorn,
      likewise retains the playfulness of the source
      material, through the use of shadow-puppets, pop-up
      books, ultraviolet-edged weapon blades and a delightful
      talking gargoyle. These devices contribute to keeping
      the show's tone light-hearted and uncontemplative even
      during such arguable observations as "It would be a
      pretty stupid world where people got killed without
      dying, wouldn't it?"

      Andrew Jordan makes a suitably wimpish Mort, flanked by
      Craiig Degel as the grumpy Lezek and Rachel Tomlinson
      as the kvetchy Ysabell, in addition to Greg Hardin, Tim
      Ahlberg, Charles Sommers and Melissa Tropp,
      impersonating some 17 assorted discworldians. Just like
      in real life, however, Death takes focus wherever he
      appears. As played in jolly-roger prosthetic drag by
      Jason Jones, the Big D emerges as an urbane patriarch
      who takes his duties seriously..."in this occupation,
      compassion is a sharpened blade"...and gets the best
      lines, too. Asked how he came to amass a fortune in
      gold coins, he replies jauntily, "In pairs!"
      Grisly...but irresistible, nevertheless.
      ----------------------------------
      Dannhornn reports that the show was sold out on
      opening night, and averaged 3/4 of a full house
      on other nights. He said the show was very well received.
      "Some audiences roared with laughter, " he reports,
      "others were slightly confused but everyone came away
      having had a good time."

      5) FIRST PRATCHETT EDITION IN WELSH

      Terry Pratchett, will be attending WHSmith in Cardiff
      on the 30th of April for the launch of the Welsh
      translation of the latest Discworld novel in paperback.
      This is the first Discworld book to be translated into Welsh
      and is published by Rily publications.

      This popular series has sold over 28 million copies worldwide
      and has already been translated into 27 languages. Terry will
      be available to sign "Lleidr Amser", published by Rily
      Publications and "Thief of Time", published by Corgi Books
      between noon and 1 pm on the first floor of WHS Queen's Street.
      Copies will be available for purchase on the day in advance
      of the UK release date (May 1st).

      For fans, it will be a rare opportunity to meet the UK's premier
      Fantasy writer and his Welsh translator Dyfrig Parri. For further
      information on the book signing please contact Adele Jones
      @ WHS on 02920 390 088
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo