WOSSNAME - MARCH 2002 - PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 6:27 PM
      March 2002 (Volume 5, Issue 3)

      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Geof Johns, Michael Jones
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Megan Perry

      1. Discworld Convention Update
      2. New Discworld Books
      3. Theater News from the US
      4. Theater News from Australia

      ====Part 2

      5. KFL Activities Around the World
      6. KFL Meets
      7. The Mission Patch

      ====Part 3

      8. Your Discworld Love Horoscope
      9. New Discworld Game
      10. Solution to Last Month's Puzzle
      11. New Discworld Jigsaw Puzzles

      1) DISCWORLD CONVENTION UPDATE

      Here's the latest report from Karen/Vodka Vixen
      of the Discworld Convention Committee:

      PROGRAMME BOOK

      Just one of the many delights of this year's Convention Programme
      Book will be an exclusive piece written by Terry Pratchett. This
      rare highlight will make the Programme Book a collectors' item, and
      for you -- the lucky members -- it's already part of the deal. This even
      includes supporting members! The Programme Book may become
      available to non-members after the Convention, but we can't
      guarantee this, so don't risk losing out! For more Con info,
      contact the website at: http://www.dwcon.org/

      NEW MERCHANDISE

      We are delighted to announce the availability of some new
      and exclusive Convention merchandise. Our online shop -
      http://www.dwcon.org/online_merchandise.php3 -
      currently displays these items in full colour (ahem),
      but in brief our newest addition is:

      The "Rocket Wizard" T-shirt. Text reads "Actually I am a
      Rocket Wizard". Available in black on white and white on
      black (those of you with old black and white monitors will
      really be missing out). They come in a variety of different
      sizes ranging from Small to XXLarge.

      Based on the image from THE LAST HERO, the shirts
      feature a similar V-neck design as shown in the painting
      of Ponder Stibbons. They are produced using
      heavy duty 100% cotton Fruit of the Loom V-neck short
      sleeve shirts with quality printing.

      The cost is only GBP 10.99 for this limited edition.
      GBP 1.00 from each sale will be donated to The
      Orangutan Foundation, Terry's favorite charity.

      2) NEW DISCWORLD PUBLICATIONS

      Three new Discworld books are available, and can be ordered from Amazon UK.
      One, The Thief of Time, will also be available from Amazon.com in the US
      in May for US$ 6.99.

      The Thief of Time (paperback) -
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0552148407/discworldconv-21
      The Fifth Elephant (play script) -
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0413771156/discworldconv-21
      The Truth (play script) -
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0413771164/discworldconv-21

      3) THEATER NEWS FROM THE US

      Push & Shove Inc. presents the Chicago premiere of
      Terry Pratchett's MORT - The Play. Adapted for the
      stage by Stephen Briggs and directed by Andrew Dannhorn,
      it will run Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays April 5th thru
      April 28th at 8 p.m. at the Breadline Theatre; 1802 W. Berenice;
      Chicago, IL 60613. All seats are $7.00

      For reservations or information call (773) 477-8139 or
      visit www.pushandshove.org

      Featuring Tim Ahlberg, Craig Degel, Greg Hardin,
      Jason Jones, Andrew Jordan, Charles Sommers,
      Rachel Tomlinson, and Melissa Tropp, this is a
      licensed Discworld play, produced in cooperation
      with Terry Pratchett and Stephen Briggs. Push
      & Shove Inc. was founded 4 years ago by
      Andrew Dannhorn and his fiancee, Elizabeth Gaubatz.

      THE CAST:

      Andrew Jordan - Mort
      Jason Jones - Death
      Rachel Tomlinson - Ysabell, courtesan, trader
      Greg Hardin - Cutwell (and the Doorknocker),The Bursar,
      The Prince of Bes Pelargic, a half-wit
      Tim Ahlberg - Albert/Alberto Malich, Cyrus, The Abbot
      Melissa Tropp - Princess Keli, Goodie Hamstring, Hrita
      Charles Sommers - Rincewind, The Duke of Sto Helit,
      the Town Crier
      Craig Degel - Lezek, the King, the High Priest, The
      Landlord of the Broken Drum, the Grand Vizier of Bes
      Pelargic

      AN INTERVIEW WITH DIRECTOR ANDREW DANNHORN

      WOSSNAME: What can you tell us about Push & Shove Inc.?

      DANNHORN: The company is a diverse lot. We involve not
      only actors, but writers, dancers, musicians, graphic artists,
      puppeteers, clowns, and performance artists. We try to
      incorporate multiple disciplines into our projects to enrich them.
      We have never done a "straight play." Either we write the shows
      ourselves or we experiment with different ways of telling an
      already written script. We also feel that artists of a particular
      study can learn a lot from others in a different field.

      WOSSNAME: How did this affect your production of MORT?

      DANNHORN: Well, MORT is probably the closest we've ever
      played a script as written. However, we are making full use of
      our varied resources. The story (and most of Pratchett's work)
      lends itself to physical types of humor. We will be using a lot
      of clowning technique, focusing primarily on a vaudeville style.
      Puppetry will also play a big role. The character of death will
      be a body-puppet. This is a puppet/costume hybrid where the
      actor is inside the puppet--similar to a mascot costume for a
      sporting event. Cutwell's talking doorknocker will be a latex and
      foam hand puppet (a la the muppets) and Binky, Death's
      trustworthy horse, will be portrayed in a series of shadow
      puppet vignettes. I also have some sculptures and "builders"
      going crazy on some of the props and special effects. The tiny
      little details are awesome (for example, Death's atlas of
      Discworld is a pop-up book).

      WOSSNAME: Is this your first Pratchett play?

      DANNHORN: Yes. I've been a Pratchett fan since GOOD OMENS.
      It wasn't until I stumbled on a copy of the script for MORT that I
      considered doing a Discworld play.

      WOSSNAME: Will videotapes or DVD's be available?

      DANNHORN: No. Stephen Briggs was pretty firm about this
      being a no-no. I can make one tape for archival purposes and
      I can only make copies for the cast and one to send to him and Terry.

      WOSSNAME: Have any other Pratchett plays been done in the US?

      DANNHORN:Yes. While talking with Stephen Briggs, we established
      that some productions of Discworld plays, MORT in particular,
      have been done in the US. Not many though. To the best of
      his knowledge, this is the first time MORT has been performed
      in Chicago. I personally can't remember ever seeing another
      Discworld play in this town.

      4) THEATER NEWS FROM AUSTRALIA

      The Unseen Theatre Company in association with
      Dominie Pty Ltd will present Terry Pratchett's
      "Lords and Ladies"in April and May.

      Directed by Sean Venning, adapted by Irana Brown
      and produced by Pamela Munt, the play will be at
      the Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas St, Adelaide,
      South Australia, on April 20, 24, 25, 26, 27 and
      May 1, 2, 3, 4 at 8:00 pm.

      Ticket prices are: Adult 14AUD, Concession 12AUD,
      Group (10+) 10AUD, Bookings: Call Betty on 8296-2004
      (8 am-8 pm, 7 days) or BASS Dial N Charge 131-246
      (booking fee will apply).

      The will be a Preview on April 19, with all tickets 10AUD only.
      Call 8296-2004 or get more info on http://www.unseen.com.au