WOSSNAME -- FEBRUARY 2002 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2002
      WOSSNAME -- FEBRUARY 2002 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)

      8) KFL MEETS

      SYDMEETS (Sydney, Australia)

      Hi Guys,

      Yes, first it was fire and now it's flood, throw in a pack of locusts and
      we're all set.

      The organisationalness of Sydmeeters is legendary in its absence. Selina
      was chief organiser (and a great one she was too) for a while there but now
      things seem to have dropped away. As I'm not on the list all that frequently
      my absence has also been noted from Sydmeets. Unless another Sydneysider
      can come close to Sel's wonderfullness we may have to stand-down Sydmeets
      for the foreseeable future.

      Yours under an eldritch/grey sky

      Nathan Clissold

      Despite the above gloomy note, we eventually got some sort
      of anonymous report from somewhere that might be Sydney:

      Bekmeet v.1 - Report

      I've finally gotten around to a report, and I say
      "Shame on you" to all those people who didn't
      type one despite having time...

      Anyway, I arrived at Town Hall station about 20 odd minutes
      early, thanks to not wanting to change trains, only to discover
      something we'd forgotten to post about: Chinese New Year.

      After wandering about trying to remember what anyone l
      ooked like, and hoping that Arabel would be the only person
      wearing black, I caught a glimpse of the Fifth Elephant. Only
      a glimpse, mind.

      Eventually, I got there, and fortunately for me, it turned out to
      be Bek, with Jeff (her husband). A little later, ConMan turned
      up, with two pieces of cardboard that said 'B' and 'U'.

      Arabel and Jerm would shortly join us, and we waited a little
      for anyone who might turn up unannounced. As per usual,
      I made a fool of myself by holding up the pieces of cardboard.
      In the wrong order.

      Once we were finished waiting, we headed off in the opposite
      direction to the parade - Circular Quay. On the way, we passed
      the famous "Starbucks in a Bank", and had deep and meaninful
      conversations that would shake the world, if only anyone had
      been listening.

      Having gotten to Circular Quay, we ingested something (
      depending on who you were, it was either ate, drank or both),
      and after some conversation headed back the way we came.

      Enter Dymocks. A fairly large one with many books, so we
      spent a significant amount of time there. At this point somebody
      realized we weren't going to do anything if we just looked at
      "The meaning of Liff" for a while, so we headed off to get lunch.

      Some discussion of the most important factor - money - led us to
      Mamma's Kitchen, an Italian restaurant. Here we took photos,
      before ordering. ConMan left, pleading work commitments, and
      less than 5 min later, Kieran manifested himself, looking quite confused.

      He also enlightened us on some facts about animals that I won't go into
      right now, because I've forgotten them. I'm sure he'll be willing to supply

      We now made the traditional pilgrimage to that bookshop, er, wait, wait,
      Galaxy, that's right. Yes, to Galaxy, a long and torturous trip, with Bek
      and Jeff arguing that Melbourne drivers were better than Sydney drivers, and
      we claiming the reverse. Jerm didn't make it to the end of the discussion,
      last seen alive whilst crossing a road.

      From Galaxy, we then lost Kieran to a sporting goods shop, before heading
      back to Town Hall for the end of the meet. At this point, the meet

      Diplomatic relations between Sydney and Melbourne have improved, with the
      news that Jerm and possibly Arabel will be making the trip south of the
      border, possibly to coincide with the Drubot.

      Clarecraft has just launched four new figurines
      at the International Spring Fair in Birmingham.
      The new pieces are:

      Constable Downspout
      Shawn Ogg
      Pewsey Ogg
      Death And Miss Flitworth

      Details and illustrations of the new figurines
      can be found in the 'Discworld Characters of the
      Clarecraft online shop at:

      A chess board has also been released and is available in two
      finishes. See in the 'Miscellaneous Discworld' section.

      Alas. Clarecraft also reports some immediate
      Discworld figurine retirements. For more details,

      You will also find notice of some price increases,
      as well as news on a World Premiere production of Truckers.

      by Cat Tiger Li

      Answer the questions and put the letter
      indicated into the spot shown. Read the word
      backwards and discover "the Tourist".
      See last month's solution below if you're
      still puzzled:

      This month's puzzle:

      Example: Pratchett - 1st letter: ANSWER: Terry LETTER: T

      1. Ruler of Ankh-Morpork - 4th letter

      2. He Who Cannot Be Denied - 2nd letter

      3. Famous Wizzard - 6th letter

      4. Colour of Magic - 1st letter

      5. Suitcase with Legs - 1st letter

      6. Crocodile God - 2nd letter

      7. Voyagers Off the Disk - 5th letter

      8. Impossibly Inverted Mountain - 1st letter

      9. The Empire =- 4th letter

      __/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/ = The Tourist
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/*8/*9/

      1. The black cockerel - 5th letter: LEGBA

      2. Granny's sister - 1st letter: LILITH

      3. The Voodoo Lady - 5th letter: GOGOL

      4. Mother Hollow - 2nd letter: DESIDERATA

      5. Magrat's grandmother - 2nd letter: ARAMINTA

      6. Granny - 1st letter: ESME

      7. Mr. Saturday's title - 1st letter: BARON

      8. A coach for one - 3rd letter: PUMPKIN

      9. Mr. Cat - 3rd letter: GREEBO

      Put all these letters into the space below
      and read them backwards, from right to left:

      *A/*L/*L/*E/*R/*E/*B/*M/*E/ = The Girl of Ashes

      Roundworld being an uncertain place these days,
      what with terrorists, hurricanes, tornadoes, and such,
      I thought it would be helpful to have an emergency crew
      on standby "just in case." The prior editorial staff has
      generously volunteered to take over if we have some
      sort of emergency here in Florida.