WOSSNAME - FEBRUARY 2002 - PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2002
      February 2002 (Volume 5, Issue 2)

      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Geof Johns, Michael Jones
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Megan Perry

      1. Discworld Convention News
      2. New Discworld Book
      3. Theater News from Australia

      ====Part 2

      4. KFL Activities Around the World
      5. How I Discovered Terry Pratchett
      6. Thief of Time - UK Paperback Signings
      7. Letters from Our Readers

      ====Part 3

      8. KFL Meets
      9. DW Figurines
      10. Monthly Puzzle
      11. Emergency Staff

      1) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

      The Discworld Convention Committee reports:

      "We were recently delighted to receive our 500th membership for the
      Discworld Convention 2002. With hotel bookings from members already filling
      over half the hotel it's becoming clear that the Hanover International will
      be changing into the Discworld International Hotel for at least one weekend
      in August. This name is made more apt by the fact that we will be welcoming
      Discworld fans from across the globe to the Convention. We have members
      from over 20 different countries, including those who will be jetting in
      from as far afield as the United Arab Emirates and New Zealand.

      "But what is it that makes a Convention truly memorable? Is it the programme
      of events planned? Well, at Discworld Conventions we have a full programme
      planned right from when the event officially opens at the spectacular (and
      cunningly named) Opening Ceremony through until the last formal event
      (which again features an ingenious title), the Closing Ceremony [1]. The
      Convention will begin to take form as more people begin to arrive at the
      hotel -- it always amazes me how everyone seems to gel into a coherent mass
      of Pratchett fans enjoying themselves. I think we would still have fun even
      without the events, guests, dealers and all the other attractions: but of
      course at a Discworld Convention you expect to be spoilt for choice as far
      as entertainment is concerned, and we guarantee that this will be the case
      in 2002, even more than in previous years!

      "So, if seeing some spectacular Discworld events is what the Convention
      means to you, you will leave happy. There is another part of coming to the
      Convention that for some people will enhance their enjoyment of the
      weekend. Even if you get involved in just one programme item -- ask one
      question, help set up or run even one small event -- you will have
      contributed to the success of the event as a whole. You may even make a
      name for yourself and your exploits could enter the realms of Discworld
      history. If you are _extremely_ fortunate, Terry himself might pick up on
      what happens or is said and use it in one of his books (no promises here
      though!).

      "Getting involved in the programme couldn't be easier -- there is plenty of
      scope to assist the programme team both in the months before and the days
      during the event and no reasonable offer of assistance is refused. We are
      always interested to hear from people who would like to run some Discworld
      related event at the Convention. Even if it isn't specifically Discworld
      themed let us know and if we like it and have space we will do our utmost
      to fit it in. We are particularly interested in events that can be run for
      people not attending the Vampire Ball as we are very keen to ensure that
      all our members are kept entertained at all times.

      "Finally, there is one other way to enjoy the Discworld Convention 2002 --
      simply by being there. For some there is nothing better than spending time
      with friends (new and old) in pleasant surroundings where you can watch the
      fans go by, enjoy a nice drink or three, and stumble, content and slightly
      merry, back to your hotel room in the sure and certain knowledge that
      tomorrow will consist of more of the same. To a significant minority this
      is what the Discworld Convention is all about (cheers to them and mine's a
      pint).

      "You really need to be there to experience the atmosphere and understand
      what it's like. My knowledge of it comes from having seen the first two
      from the inside. Since the Convention in 2002 could well be the last
      Discworld Convention (organised by us, at least), do you really want to
      miss a minute of it? Of course not. For those not in the know, the time is
      particularly ripe for purchasing your membership. Due to popular demand
      (and us being a bunch of softies) we're holding down the price of
      memberships at just ukp45[3] until the end of March, when the price will
      rise to ukp50. And although we _are_ pretty damn good at what we do, even
      we can't alter the fact that places are limited (including accommodation at
      the hotel), so we'd advise booking early. We guarantee it'll be worth it."

      -- Paul A. Rood
      Chairman, Discworld Convention 2002
      Website: http://www.dwcon.org/
      Email: info@...
      Address: Discworld Convention 2002, PO Box 2002, Romford RM7 7DQ, UK
      Tel/Fax: 0709 226 4571

      [1] There is something called a Dead Monkey party after this, but it's
      really just an excuse for the committee and members that are still around
      to drink one last skinful before venturing back into the real world [2].

      [2] Dead Monkey is optional. We ask that all members take their deceased
      furry mammals back home with them.

      [3] Price of one full attending membership.
      -----
      --
      * "2002: A Discworld Odyssey" * August 16th-19th, 2002 *
      * Web: http://www.dwcon.org/ * Email: info@... *

      2) NEW DISCWORLD BOOK

      A report from Colin Smythe, Terry's agent:

      I'm told that NIGHTWATCH will be published in the UK and USA
      simultaneously on 7 November. There have been various reports
      as to the early names of this novel. Terry's preference was always
      for 'The Nature of the Beast', but he wasn't happy about using it
      as Frances Fyfield's 'The Nature of the Beast' was published in
      Britain only last October - too close for his comfort. He therefore
      used his fall-back title, 'Nightwatch' and for that reason asked Paul
      Kidby to produce a parody of Rembrandt's 'The Night Watch' for
      the cover, the sort of thi that Paul has already done supremely
      well for The Science of Discworld. 'Doing Time' had also been
      discussed, though Terry was never really happy with that.

      A condensed version of 'Die volle Wahrheit' - the German
      translation of 'The Truth' - was to have been issued by A&R BMG
      Wort on three CDs (ISBN 3-89830-275-X; EUR 24,50), and on
      two cassettes (ISBN 3-89830-276-8; EUR 16,00) last October,
      but due to the illness of Dirk Bach, production and release has
      been delayed. His health permitting, the recording is now expected
      to be made on 13-14 February, and to be released in March to
      coincide with the Leipziger Buchmesse.'

      3) THEATER NEWS FROM AUSTRALIA

      The Unseen Theatre Company will presents
      "PRATCHETT PIECES," four short stories by
      Terry Pratchett, adapted for the stage by Pamela Munt,
      and directed by Pamela Munt and Melanie Munt.

      Part of the Adelaide Fringe Festival , the show will
      take place on at 10:30 pm on March 12-16, 2002
      at the Bakehouse Theatre,255 Angas St, Adelaide.

      Tickets:
      Adults $18; Concession $14 ; Groups (of 6 or more) $14;
      Club 26 $12; Fringe Pass $15; Conference Pass $14;
      Artist Pass $14.

      Bookings: Fringe Tix