WOSSNAME -- DECEMBER 2001 -- PART 2 OF 2 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2001
      WOSSNAME -- DECEMBER 2001 -- PART 2 OF 2 (continued)

      -------
      6) HOGSWATCH SALE AND DISCWORLD COMPETITION

      Happy Hogswatch!!

      Well, our office may be closed until the 7th January, but our
      website is open 365 days a year and we've knocked 10
      percent off ALL prices!! This offer will remain until 7th January.
      To visit the shop, please click the link below:

      http://www.thecollectorsguild.com/acatalog/catalogbody.html

      We've also added a new competition, with The Librarian
      Asleep as the prize. Like me, it's free and easy. The link is:

      http://www.discworldshop.com/cgi-bin/quiz/quiztest.cgi?competition

      There are a couple of additions to the What's New page also at
      http://www.discworldshop.com/ and we hope that you make
      good use of the free Hogswatch Card facility at
      http://www.discworldshop.com/postcards/
      whilst we are away.

      All that's left for me to say is Happy Hogswatch. Thanks for
      all the support in 2001 and we look forward to being of
      service to you all in 2002.

      Best wishes,

      Elton Murphy,
      THE COLLECTOR'S GUILD

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) THE MAGIC OF COMPUTER TRANSLATION
      (COMPLETE WITH LOST HOOLIGANS)

      Yes, I did it. Your editor has invested some of his
      meager resources in a translation program cleverly
      called "Translate." It promises easy, automatic
      translation of email, instant messages, documents,
      web pages, chat, and more from 5 different languages..

      Unfortunately, it did not say what the material would be
      translated into.

      Here is a sample paragraph translated from our Spanish
      language edition, EL PUERCOESPÍN:

      * THE PUERCOESPÍN responds: Nobby is not more than
      the "diminutive ca - riñoso" of the last name, Nobbs. In all
      ways, "nob" is a pejorative term to designate people of high
      class, especially to those that make ostentation of its wealth.
      As "snobbish." That is to say, "pijo". That which has their
      grace in Nobby. [Aranluc: somewhere around there are
      somehow - English cough, lost hooligans that are made
      call Nobby and they are very proud of it]. [Vetinari: That of the
      made sentences, intén - talo with some dictionary of "Idioms"].

      In short, save your money. <)8-)

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      8) ERRATA, OR NON-ERRATA, THAT IS THE QUESTION

      Last month we apologized for what we thought was an
      error, caught by an eagle-eyed reader. However another
      eagle-eyed reader says otherwise:

      >To the Editor:
      >
      > > 2) THE AMAZING MAURICE AND HIS
      > > EDUCATED RODENTS
      >
      > > This is ostensibly a children's book, but of course it
      > > isn't. It is prime Pratchett - a retelling of the story of
      > > the Pied Piper with some "minor" changes. This, of
      > > course, is like saying that "Wyrd Sisters" is a retelling
      > > of Hamlet or "Guards, Guards" is a retelling of "The
      > > Three Musketeers."
      >
      >Macbeth, not Hamlet.
      >
      >I'm sure you are being bombarded with
      >e-mails correcting you on this one.
      >
      >-- ottertee@...
      >
      >Ed. note: Oops! Thankfully, you're the only one
      >who noticed it.

      To the Editor:

      Actually, Wyrd Sisters contains elements pinch^H^H^H^H^H
      adapted from both Hamlet and Macbeth. Certainly the three
      witches plotting an overthrow of a king is fairly Macbethy, but
      the ghost of the dead king helping his son get revenge is
      straight out of Hamlet. So you weren't wrong, you just weren't
      completely right.

      -- ConMan

      Sorry this issue is a bit short but not much seems to
      be happening this month, no doubt due to the holidays.