WOSSNAME - NOVEMBER 2001 - PART 1 OF 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2001
      November 2001 (Volume 4, Issue 11)

      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Geof Johns, Michael Jones
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Megan Perry
      * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      ~~~~~~~~SEASONS GREETINGS!~~~~~~~~~~

      May you have a wonderful Holiday Season

      filled with joy and magic and lots of books.

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      ==Part 1

      1. New Ace Paperback: Good Omens
      2. The Science of Discworld II
      3. Free Books - Pratchett Sweepstakes
      4. Josh Kirby, R.I.P.
      5. Report of Our Spanish Section
      6. Report on SydMeet in Australia

      ==Part 2

      7. Briggs' New Website
      8. A Wee Shard of Bad Pottery
      9. Holiday Event in Somerset (UK)
      10. Letters - Chainmail
      11. Letters - Soul Music Video reactions
      12. Letters - Southampton (UK) booksigning
      13. Gods of the Discworld - Trivia Quiz Scores
      14. Errata, Or How We Goofed

      1) NEW ACE PAPERBACK - USA

      Ace Books is publishing in December (though
      presumably on sale before then) a trade paperback
      edition of GOOD OMENS (ISBN 0-441-00861-5)
      selling at US$ 13.95.

      -- Colin Smythe

      2) THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD II:
      THE GLOBE (ISBN 0-09188273-7)

      Here's the jacket blurb for the new book by Terry Pratchett,
      Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen, due to be published next May
      by Ebury Press, with a superb cover illustration by Paul Kidby.
      ---------------------

      The planet Earth has picked up a parasitic life form - elves.
      They get everywhere. And they like humans to be superstitious,
      fearful and frightened of thunder. They're after our future and
      must be stopped... but by whom?

      Enter the wizards of the Unseen University who, in the
      best-selling "The Science of Discworld", unwittingly created
      Earth and our own universe. At the time they quite failed to
      notice humanity. (Well, we've only been around for a million
      years, so we're easily overlooked...) But now, at last, they've
      found us.

      In "The Science of Discworld II" science writers Ian Stewart
      and Jack Cohen join forces again with fantasy author Terry
      Pratchett to see just what happens as the wizards battle
      against the elves. The Renaissance, for example, is given
      a push. London is replaced by a dozy Neanderthal village.
      The role of fat women in art is developed. And one very
      famous playwright gets born and writes The Play.

      "The Globe" is a unique book, weaving together a fast-paced
      Discworld novelette with cutting edge scientific commentary
      on the evolution and development of the human mind, culture,
      language, art, and science. The result - as the wizards grapple
      with the nature of Good and Evil, and history is rewritten several
      times over - is a fascinating and brilliantly original view of the
      world we live in.

      -- Colin Smythe

      3) FREE BOOKS - TERRY PRATCHETT SWEEPSTAKES!

      With two brand-new Terry Pratchett books out in November,
      (THE LAST HERO and THE AMAZING MAURICE AND HIS
      EDUCATED RODENTS) Terry's US publishers are celebrating
      with a sweepstakes, and they're giving away copies of both books.

      Enter to win at the link below (or at www.eosbooks.com). Nine
      lucky entrants will win copies of THE LAST HERO and THE
      AMAZING MAURICE. What's more, one Grand Prize winner will
      also win a clock signed by Terry Pratchett himself! Get contest
      details at:

      http://www.harpercollins.com/hc/features/eos/lastheroagain.asp

      4) JOSH KIRBY, R.I.P.

      )It is with deep regret that we have to inform you that
      Josh Kirby died on Tuesday, October 23, 2001. As
      the first major illustrator of Terry's works and those
      of many other famous SF and fantasy authors, he
      will be sorely missed.

      His last commissioned Discworld picture was a
      portrait of the Librarian for the cover of the second
      Discworld Quizbook, 'The Wyrdest Link', by
      David Langford, which is expected next Summer.
      It bears an uncanny resemblance to
      'Weakest Link' presenter Anne Robinson.

      For more details, see:
      http://www.artistsuk.net/joshRIP.htm

      -- Colin Smythe

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      5) REPORT FROM THE SPANISH-SPEAKING SECTION OF
      THE KLATCHIAN FOREIGN LEGION

      The KFL's Spanish-speaking section now has a membership of about
      200. Issue #17 of our newsletter "EL PUERCOESPÍN" (The Hedgehog) is
      about to be sent to all members and we are expecting to see "Small
      Gods" published in Spanish by January 2002. (Well, we are REALLY
      expecting not to see too many translation mistakes and expecting
      the back cover blurb to refer even marginally to the book we're
      reading about and...)

      We recently had a small meeting in Valencia (Spain) to see each
      other's faces and get drunk together while speaking about Discworld
      novels and (as it turned out) Bukowski, funny traffic accidents
      with no mortal victims and, of course, sex. We planned it in a hurry,
      so most of us just couldn't come, but it was very enjoyable. And
      it had never been done around here before! We are looking forward
      to having a bigger one soon.

      So we just hope to keep going with it. (Well, we REALLY just hope
      to see some more DW books properly translated and... you get the
      idea, don't you?). Websites, forums, mailing lists and suchlike
      have been growing continuously and, if everything goes well, you can
      expect to see a Spanish delegation in the 2002 DiscCon. Just look
      for people drinking lots of everything. Er... all right, I can see
      the flaw in this. Just look for people drinking lots of everything
      AND talking loudly to each other in Spanish. And then come and have
      a beer.

      ¡Larga vida a la Legión Extranjera Klatchiana!

      -- Manuel Viciano Delibano,
      mavide@...

      (To subscribe to EL PUERCOESPÍN just send an empty email to
      mundodisco-subscribe@yahoogroups.com)

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      6) REPORT ON SYDMEET FROM THE AUSTRALIAN SECTION
      OF THE KLATCHIAN FOREIGN LEGION
      The 2001 Hogswatch Sydmeet will be taking place at Selina's House.

      If you don't have my phone number or address and wish to attend,
      please email me at BOTH this address seldear@... and
      Selina.Cheng@... (my email contracted a virus
      the other day and my Bugarup folder disappeared. Result: I have
      none of the emails sent to me over the last few weeks. AARGH!)

      Sel.
      Sydmeet Organiser and B.ITCh extraordinaire.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo