WOSSNAME - OCTOBER 2001 - PART 2 OF 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2001
      WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2001 -- PART 2 OF 2 (continued)

      -------
      5) DISCWORLD CONVENTION 2002

      Two new guests have been announced for the
      2002 Discworld Convention: Jack Cohen and
      Ian Stewart.

      Ian and Jack collaborated with Terry on THE SCIENCE OF
      DISCWORLD, published in 1999, and are just putting the
      finishing touches to THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD II - THE
      GLOBE. This second installment will contain "less physics"
      and "more about 'being human'". It includes "details of the
      first ever semaphore modem on Discworld..."

      THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD II - THE GLOBE
      is due for publication in mid 2002.

      Ian and Jack are notable academics working in the UK at
      Warwick University and Jack in particular has assisted
      Terry with getting the scientific principles on Discworld right.
      Most recently, Jack provided background information about
      the behavior of rats when Terry was writing THE AMAZING
      MAURICE AND HIS EDUCATED RODENTS.

      To get in touch with "2002: A Discworld Odyssey,"
      which will be held on August 16th-19th, 2002 go to
      either its Web address: http://www.dwcon.org/
      or its E-mail address: info@...

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) THE LAST HERO

      To the Editor:

      According to Amazon.com, TLH was released in the US 2 days before the
      English release. They claim 24 hour turnaround on it, and they are offering
      me a 30% discount (dunno if that's standard on this book or if I'm special).

      Knowing how hideous Pratchett book covers are in the US, I automatically
      ordered it (and The Amazing Maurice) from Amazon.co.uk, for shipment to the
      US. It appears, however, that the US and UK editions of The Last Hero have
      identical covers, so I might have been able to save some cash ordering it
      from the US. The Amazing Maurice have different covers, but at least the
      US cover is tolerable this time.

      -- Meri US of A, somewhere in the middle of the southwest

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      To the editor:

      Obtained and read this - very funny - but I was sad to see that the City
      Watch has to resort to the stage ploy of knitting painted silver instead of
      proper chain mail - see picture of Carrot pg one hundred and forty something
      ish. [Ed.: page 143] Picture of Carrot on pg one hundred and twenty
      something ish [Ed: page 116] shows that the garment is flexible and
      therefore cannot be constructed of metal in the manner depicted.

      This has nothing to do with the plot, just me being me and noticing things.

      I think there are only so many pictures a person can usefully absorb and TLH
      does have more than required.

      -- Anne, Dorset, England

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      To the Editor:

      Chainmail is flexible. Chainmail is little bits of rod turned into rings and
      looped through each other, then the ends are riveted together.

      What Carrot is wearing is not rings - it is knitting. Look closely. The
      individual lines of the material are a continuous line not quite sinusoidal
      in shape. It is possible to create this in real life - but it is rigid. For
      Carrot to wear it, it has to be made of something flexible which metal rod
      is not.

      The theatrical alternative to chain mail is knitting painted silver - with
      occasional flecks of rust which of course would not be relevant in Carrot's
      case.

      There is of course the possibility of something peculiar to the disc which
      is flexible enough to be knitted into a garment and worn but which becomes
      rigid with fright when appropriate.

      -- Anne

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      To the Editor:

      Looks fine to me....

      -- Hangin' Judge Humphry. Gnah!

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) PTERRY BILLBOARD

      To the Editor:

      Have you seen the huge billboard of pterry at the North Melbourne
      railway station? I think it only appeared last week. I saw it as we
      rushed past on Wednesday morning and when we rushed past
      on Wednesday afternoon. What's it about do you know?

      -- Dianne P. Hughes, Australia

      To the Editor:

      Yes, saw it on Sat. Has his Pic, 'Pied Piper of Writing', and I think
      it is advertising Amazing Maurice & His Educated Rodents & paperback
      edition of The 5th Elephant.

      -- Paul Godsil, Australia

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      8) GODS OF THE DISCWORLD - A TRIVIA QUIZ

      What are the names of these gods?

      A. Goddess of the Afternoon
      B. The Crocodile-Headed
      C. God of the Winds
      D. Goddess of saunas, snow and theatrical performances
      for few than 120 people
      E. Chief of the Gods
      F. Goddess of the sea, apple pie, certain types of ice cream
      and short lengths of string
      G. God of wine and things on sticks
      H. Goddess of wisdom
      I. God of things left on the doorstep or half-digested
      under the bed
      J. God of paperclips and unnecessary paperwork

      Answers next month.