WOSSNAME -- Main issue -- February 2014

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2014
      NOT SO EARLY EDITION
      February 2014 (Volume 17, Issue 2, post 2)

      01) EDITOR'S LETTER
      02) ODDS AND SODS
      03) RAISING STEAM REVIEWS
      04) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      05) ROUNDWORLD TALES: TREACLE MINING
      06) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
      07) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      08) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS
      09) MORE IMAGES OF THE MONTH

      01) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      So here we are, several weeks later, and I have to bore one and all
      with a report that my health issues are still impacting on my
      ability to do my best on WOSSNAME work (or anything else, for that
      matter). I can tell you this: if anyone ever offers you a free
      sample of a charming dysfunction called Type 2 Trigeminal Neuralgia,
      just say no. Very loudly. Trust me on this. Persistent, brain-eating
      facial pain does what it says on the tin, namely eats one's mental
      processing and concentration abilities, and among other things
      causes one to not be able to write coherent reviews, and to move the
      town of Accrington from Lancashire to Cheshire, as I did in the
      previous issue (and I have less excuse than many, being well
      familiar with said town; many thanks to WOSSNAME's Director of
      Trains, Brian Dominic, for quietly pointing that mistake out to me).
      However, today has so far been the first comparatively world-of-
      pain-free day I've had in weeks, so hopefully there are no similarly
      egregious mistakes below...

      Now then. First off, some title news: the third book in The Long
      Earth series will be called The Long Mars! Release date will be 19th
      June 2014. To pre-order from Amazon: http://amzn.to/1jxuSkt

      Remember, Sir Pterry will be the special guest at Eastercon 65 from
      18th – 21st April  2014 at the Crown Plaza Hotel, Glasgow:
      http://satellite4.org.uk/

      By the way, that turtle-shaped roundabout praised by Pterry and
      featured in the first issue this month is in Bundaberg, Queensland,
      Fourecks: http://tinyurl.com/mr3w6b7

      Oh, and do remember that if you have difficulty reading this issue
      on the web or in your email reader, a problem-free (we hope!) mirror
      version is available at: http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/2911.html

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) ODDS AND SODS

      ...and some of these are very odd indeed...

      2.1 ANOTHER MOIST VON LIPWIG – CLOSER TO HOME

      Fund manager Benjamin Wilson has now been jailed for seven years.
      His crime? He "used author Terry Pratchett's signature to dupe
      friends and colleagues out of £22million and spent it on lavish
      life of racehorses, sports cars and Vegas gambling trips". No,
      really:

      "Benjamin Wilson, 35, used the money of 'several hundred' investors
      - including close friends and colleagues - to fund his 'lavish
      lifestyle', Southwark Crown Court heard. Wilson, who was today
      jailed for seven years, used the cash to pay for a multimillion-
      pound home as well as buying racehorses, a luxury sports car and
      gambling in Las Vegas. He doctored business statements to hide his
      fraudulent activity, using Google Images to copy the signature of
      author Terry Pratchett to sign off audit reports, the court heard.
      He pleaded guilty in December 2013 to two counts of forgery and one
      of fraud, having previously admitted a charge of operating a
      collective investment scheme without authorisation. Sentencing
      Wilson to seven years, Judge Michael Grieve said Wilson had carried
      out an 'utterly shameless confidence fraud' targeting victims who
      invested money 'they could ill afford to lose'. He had used the cash
      to fund a lifestyle of 'untold lavishness and luxury', the judge
      said. 'You were the sole architect of the fraud from start to
      finish,' he said. 'There may well be some element of living in a
      world of make believe. At the same time it was a cruel and very
      sophisticated fraud with only one beneficiary - that was
      yourself.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/mphg2wq

      *

      2.2 AND ANOTHER PRATCHETT OF INTEREST...?

      In the Toronto Star, news of a new fantasy author by the name of
      Pratchett:

      "It may be fortunate that Vincent Pratchett knows his way around a
      fire hose. His career as an author is liable to get red hot in 2014.
      A veteran of 23 years with Toronto Fire Services, Pratchett's first
      novel, The Raven's Warrior, was selected as one of the works to be
      given out on World Book Night in April... Already a winner of the
      2013 USA Best Book Award for visionary fiction — handed out by USA
      Book News — the novel is set in 10th-century China. Its
      protagonist, a Celtic warrior, is taken in battle by Vikings and
      dragged and sold across Europe and Asia until he ends up a slave to
      a Taoist priest and his daughter in the Middle Kingdom. Under his
      masters' Eastern tutelage, the Celtic slave becomes a king in a
      story Pratchett describes as a kind of Arthurian legend... Pratchett
      — who works out of Station 135 in Forest Hill — is as surprised
      as anyone at his book's award recognition. Indeed, he's still
      shocked that he's a professional author at all..."

      http://tinyurl.com/jw2yx6o

      *

      2.3 ERIC AS INSPIRATION

      A good many people consider Eric to be the lest of all Discworld
      works, but for fantasy author David L. Stone aka David Grimstone,
      reading Eric was a literal (and literary) life-changer – and only
      because he was a pound short for the book he had intended to buy!

      "I'd almost given up completely when I found Eric. The book, showing
      a wizard shooting through the air with a boy dragging on the flying
      chest beneath him, was tiny….and I mean tiny. It was also £2.99.
      I resigned myself to buying an actual book, took it home and –
      rather miserably – started reading it just after lunch. By
      dinnertime that day I was absolutely in love with Terry Pratchett.
      He spoke so directly to my imagination that it genuinely seemed like
      he had tailored the book entirely for me. In the weeks that
      followed, I bought and read every Discworld novel from the back
      catalogue, and devoured them all at the weekends. This reached fever
      pitch when I actually started faking illness so that I could stay
      off school and read them...."

      This blog essay is well worth a read. And I shall have to go back to
      our copy of Knights of Madness and see if Mr Grimstone is worth
      reading, too, since it contains one of his stories...

      http://blokecalleddave.co.uk/?p=538

      *

      2.4 APPEAL FOR A THOUSANDE ELEPHANTS!!!!

      From Maggie Wilde, on behalf of the 2014 Wincanton Spring Fling:

      "COME ON FOLKS, ANYONE COMING TO SPRING FLING AT WINCANTON 3RD/4TH
      MAY THE THEME IS "MOVING PICTURES" SO WE NEED 1000 ELEPHANTS!!
      PLEASE BRING AS MANY AS YOU CAN. They can be sketches, stuffed toys,
      knitted or sewn, old toys from charity shops, figurines, cakes,
      biscuits, chocolate, soap. In fact I'll give a prize to the 'most
      unusual form of elephant' and to the person who brings the most
      elephants. They can be loaned for the count up then retrieved or
      left to be sold on the 'Fifth Elephant stall', proceeds to the
      charity. Anyone who can't come but wishes to contribute please send
      your elephants to the Discworld Emporium, 41 The High Street
      Wincanton Somerset BA9 9JU with a covering letter. thank you. We
      can't send any back but they will be included on the stall. Any
      leftovers will go to local charity shops. PS nothing alive or dead
      or life size, thanks!"

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) REVIEWS: RAISING STEAM

      By Mark Vaughan-Jackson, in Canadian newspaper The Telegram:

      "When he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a few years ago (2007, to be
      exact), I had a moment of mourning and feared that was it, that I'd
      never have a new Discworld tale — or at least only a few more.
      Since then, he's proved me and the rest of the world wrong. In fact,
      from our end as readers eagerly anticipating the next book, it seems
      the only change is Pratchett now uses voice technology instead of a
      keyboard... Either way, I for one am delighted that Sir Terry
      continues to put out new works — Discworld or otherwise... Lipwig
      has become Pratchett's latest in a long line of central characters
      who, for a book or two, become the focus before the author shifts
      back to a different part of the Discworld and a different
      protagonist. This has been part of Pratchett's secret of longevity.
      I've said it before: most big sci-fi or fantasy series choke on
      their own success after five or 10 books. Discworld hasn't — not
      after five, not after 10 or 20 or 30 or even now after 40. Just when
      you wonder whether yet another storyline featuring Granny Weatherwax
      will work, he changes tack and hits you with a Commander Vimes
      story, or a tale from one of the other countries clinging to the
      surface of the Disc, on top of the four elephants atop the Great
      A'Tuin, the giant pace turtle. These changeups keep things fresh,
      allowing Pratchett to keep on revisiting the creative well that he
      found way back in Book 1... As ever, Pratchett throws in a couple of
      curveball sub-plots, too. This time it's the continued inner unrest
      in the Dwarven realm, as Low King Rhys Rhyson struggles to maintain
      the new peace with Trolls and Humans while dealing with the unrest
      of the dwarvish religious fundamentalist, the Grags. Again, as ever,
      Pratchett has a deft hand as he casts a gently satirical eye over
      everything from dwarven gender discrimination to goblin
      emancipation. All in all, classic Pratchett that was great fun to
      read..."

      http://tinyurl.com/nevzcrf

      By Elli Christie, Books Editor, in Exepose, the University of
      Exeter's student newspaper:

      "Despite, understandably, reducing his public appearances since
      being diagnosed with Alzheimer's, Pratchett still publishes a book a
      year and the Discworld remains as dynamic and refreshing in Raising
      Steam as it was when The Colour of Magic was published in 1983.
      Following on from the events in Snuff which saw goblins acknowledged
      as part of society and previous beliefs challenged, Raising Steam
      explores what the further implications of this emancipation are on
      Ankh-Morpork and the Discworld... Whilst this all sounds
      fantastical, Raising Steam constantly remains surprisingly relevant
      to not only our world but current day events. There is a thoughtful
      and subtle exploration of what might cause terrorism and how it can
      quickly engulf a community through fear and ignorance when certain
      dwarfs are able to destroy train stations and kill despite being a
      minority. Moist von Lipwig is also aware that positive media
      representation is essential for the railway that is so dependent on
      the goodwill of its customers and Pratchett demonstrates this with
      an insight into the commercial thinking that is behind his zany
      schemes..."

      http://tinyurl.com/lcdaxb9

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      SIR PTERRY RECOMMENDS:  A BOOK ON ASSISTED DYING

      "Sir Terry Pratchett provides foreword to locally-written book on
      dying with dignity... Lesley Close, of Stanley Hill, Amersham, had
      to make the decision. She chose to accompany her brother to an
      appointment with Dignitas, the Swiss organisation which offers to
      help people commit suicide. Her book, Assisted Dying – Who Makes
      the Final Decision? came out on Wednesday last week, and includes a
      case study of her experience... It is co-edited by Jo Cartwright,
      campaigns and press manager for Dignity in Dying... The book focuses
      on case studies of families who support assisted dying for different
      reasons, and hopes to raise awareness of the issue. Ms Close's
      brother, John Close, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in
      2001, and in 2003 he made the decision to go to Zurich to end his
      own life with Dignitas..."

      Here is the foreword to the book, as reprinted in Get Bucks:

      "I don't fear death, but, like many other people, I do fear dying
      badly. This book explores assisted dying by looking boldly at the
      historical, medical, legal, philosophical and ethical aspects at the
      heart of the matter. It punctuates these with the stories of real
      people's deaths, of real suffering and the ght[sic] that has been
      inspired in the people living with memories of those deaths. Some of
      the people in this book, much like Peter Smedley who invited me to
      witness his assisted death at Dignitas, died too soon to ensure that
      they could die well. In years to come people will look back, aghast,
      at a time – this time – when people were forced to choose
      between living on and dying well. This book will undoubtedly move
      the debate forward and help us get to the stage when the choice to
      die as we wish is one that we can make at home, surrounded by the
      things and people that have made our lives what they are. That's a
      time to look forward to, when the fear of dying badly will have been
      consigned to history books.

      "Sir Terry Pratchett, October 2013"

      http://tinyurl.com/mxzhmys

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) ROUNDWORLD TALES: TREACLE MINING

      From Wikipedia:

      "The topic has been a joke in British humour since the mid 19th
      century. One possible origin of the joke is from 1853 when 8,000
      British Army soldiers were camped on Chobham Common. The camp
      included storehouses containing barrels. When the soldiers left for
      the Crimean War and the site was dismantled, they buried barrels to
      avoid having to remove them. Some of the barrels contained treacle
      and Cobham villagers who discovered and removed them were called
      "treacle miners" as a joke. Local folklore about treacle mining was
      extended back into history back to Roman Britain. Another
      explanation is that 'treacle' meant 'a medicine', derived from the
      appearance of the Greek derivative 'theriacal' meaning medicinal (Gk
      theriake = a curative or antidote), so the various healing wells
      around Britain were called 'treacle wells'. Treacle later came to
      mean a sticky syrup after the popularity of a honey-based drug
      called "Venice treacle", and the continued use of the old form in
      the treacle wells led to the joke...

      "The village of Sabden in Lancashire cultivated a considerable body
      of folklore about local treacle mining in the 1930s. The local
      newspaper helped foster the myth, publishing numerous stories about
      the fictional mines. The paper mills around Maidstone in Kent were
      known as 'The Tovil Treacle Mines' by locals, after the area where
      one of the mills owned by Albert E. Reed was situated. The company
      helped the myth with a float in Maidstone carnival with a 'treacle
      mine' theme... Tudeley and Frittenden in Kent are also said to have
      had treacle mines. A tank wagon on the Kent and East Sussex Railway
      was painted in fictional 'Frittenden Treacle Mines' livery in
      2009... Treacle mines have also been claimed in Wem (Shropshire),
      Talskiddy, Bisham, Nuneaton, Chobham, Tongham, Tadley, Skidby,
      Ditchford, Crick. Dunchideock and many other locations across
      Somerset and Devon..."

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treacle_mining

      And a more "myffic" tale from treacleminer.com, which also features
      quotes from Discworld books and from Discworld (and Roundworld!)
      folklorist Jacqueline Simpson:

      "Many claim to know that there were Treacle Mines in Buxted, but few
      know the full story. They will tell you that the treacle mines of
      Buxted were sited next to the lighthouse near the harbour. They will
      not tell you that, in the 17th century, barges came up he river Uck
      and berthed on the quay-side, where treacle rock was loaded and
      transported to the coast; where it was taken by oxen driven wagons
      to larger towns, where the treacle was used to make treacle floss,
      treacle tarts, treacle toffee and surprisingly limpet mines... The
      lighthouse was a focal point of the old village of Bukktsted. The
      treacle miners operating in the area used the lighthouse as a
      lookout-post (camera obscura); as a bank for treacle nuggets; the
      storage for the miners' candles and products produced and as a
      meeting point for the village Morris Men... The treacle seams
      followed the ley lines stretching from old Buxted through
      Etchingwood beyond the Spotted Cow Ale House, along the Hadlow Down
      ridge and beyond to Hadlow Down, Jarvis Brook, Steel Cross and the
      Boar's Head..."

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

      6.1 A MESSAGE FROM THE CUNNING ARTIFICER

      "Dear Emporium Followers,

      "The ants are on strike, the FTB (Fluffy Teddy Bear) is missing and
      the mouse it without its cheddar. We therefore regrettably announce
      that our website is currently off-line and 'normal' service has been
      somewhat disrupted.

      "We are working hard to to fix the problem, but until the site is
      back up and running we will not be able to send or receive emails
      via our usual business email address: reb@.... We
      are very very sorry, from the bottom of our little hearts for any
      inconvenience and concern this may cause. Please rest assured that
      our 'real' shop hasn't vanished, so if you have any worries about
      your current/pending orders you are welcome to phone us on
      01963824686, or use our temporary email discworldemporium@...

      "Hopefully we won't have to resort to pulling the Big Red Lever just
      yet! Thank you for your patience and support"

      6.2 LEGO DISCWORLD CREATIONS

      For all you Lego enthusiasts, here be a Flickr image set of the Potent
      Voyager, as described in The Last Hero graphic novel:

      www.flickr.com/photos/l-space/12570487295/in/set-72157641076233184/

      Also, a very impressive Sator Square in Lego:

      www.flickr.com/photos/38463026@N04/sets/72157641076999114/

      6.3 DISCWORLD STAMPS

      A new announcement from those Cunning Artificers:

      "They've arrived! The new set of official Definitive stamp issues
      from the Ankh-Morpork Post Office have been delivered by our own Mr
      Spools, and we've been busy perforating and tearing hundreds of
      sheets and thousands of stamps in preparation for their launch. This
      perennial range of Discworld Stamps began life in 2004 inside
      Hardback editions of Going Postal, and has undergone an annual
      design overhaul ever since. As an official Roundworld branch of the
      A-M.P.O we are proud to reveal our new designs for the iconic Half
      Penny Post Office, Penny Patrician, 2p Coat of Arms, 5p and 10p
      Morporkias and famous $1 Tower of Art. Each issue will be available
      in sheets and singles from Monday 3rd February, and are available to
      preview now in the New Stamps section of our site –

      http://tinyurl.com/m6wnxfa

      "But why wait?! Keen collectors and aspiring Stanley Howlers can be
      the first to own these new issues with our first Little Brown
      Envelope issue of the year, the 'Usual Suspects' LBE – available
      now! The LBE is our version of the 'tenpenny lucky dip bag' featured
      in Going Postal, and this current edition includes an average of
      three new Definitive issues in every envelope along with an
      assortment of current Discworld stamps, and the chance to obtain
      their respective rare 'sport' variants – follow the link to view:

      http://tinyurl.com/mgpeyzc

      "ASK US ABOUT STAMPS! – find out how it all began by perusing our
      friendly Beginners Guide to the wonderful world of Discworld Stamps
      – http://tinyurl.com/m8bq3as – or start your collection with a
      Going Postal Starter Pack – follow the link to view –
      http://tinyurl.com/kjn2a9p ..."

      7.1 MAKING MONEY IN SALISBURY: FINAL PERFORMANCES THIS WEEK!

      When: remaining dates are 27th February-1st March 2014
      Venue: Studio Theatre, Ashley Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP2 7TN
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: from Salisbury Information Centre, phone 01722 342860

      http://www.studiotheatre.org.uk/

      7.2 REVIEW: MAKING MONEY IN SALISBURY

      By Hannah White, in the Salisbury Journal:

      "The plot is everything you would expect from Sir Terry – an
      extraordinary storyline with plenty of humour. There were
      outstanding performances, especially from Stew Taylor as the lead
      role, Moist von Lipwig. Phil Taylor, as golum[sic] Gladys, was
      responsible for many of the laugh out loud moments, and Alistair
      Faulkner was fantastic as Mr Bent. Special mention must also go to
      Teddy Woolgrove, socially awkward Hubert, and George Goulding as
      Igor and Mr Slant as well as Theo Ross, Mrs Lavish. Anthony von
      Roretz put in a convincing performance as tyrant Lord Vetinari,
      despite stumbling over a couple of lines in the first half. James
      Bradwell proved he could pull off villainous Cosmo Lavish just as
      brilliantly as his hilarious performance as Manuel in Studio's
      recent Fawlty Towers production. All of the actors gave it their all
      and it was clear they were thoroughly enjoying themselves..."

      http://tinyurl.com/k9flxcv

      7.3 REMINDER: GOING POSTAL IN BASILDON

      The Thalian Theatre Company, whose vast array of previous Pratchett
      productions includes Wyrd Sisters, Men at Arms, Maskerade, Mort,
      Guards! Guards! and Carpe Jugulum, are adding a new play to the list
      when they present Going Postal in March.

      When: 27th to 29th March 2014
      Venue: Mirren Studio, Towngate Theatre, St. Martin's Square, Basildon,
      Essex SS14 1DL
      Time: 8pm
      Tickets: £10 adult, £8.50 concessions, available from the theatre box
      office on 01268 465465, or you can book tickets online by going to
      http://tinyurl.com/kfubr4y

      http://www.towngatetheatre.co.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4771

      7.4 REMINDER: WITCHES ABROAD IN PORTSMOUTH

      Collingwood RSC Theatre Group, already veteran Pratchett play
      presenters, will offer their production – a world premiere, no
      less – of Witches Abroad in March.

      When: Wednesday 26th through Saturday 29th March 2014
      Venue: HMS Collingwood, Newgate Lane, Fareham,  Portsmouth, PO14 1AS
      Tickets: £6, available via the box office (07502 037922)

      To see their whimsical Kidby-pastiche poster, go to
      http://tinyurl.com/l9hlaka

      https://www.facebook.com/hmscollingwoodrsc

      7.5 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN NEWPORT, ESSEX

      The Newport Free Grammar School, a fine old institution whose former
      pupils include the fine actor James Frain and a rather well-known
      cook fellow called Jamie Oliver, will be presenting their production
      of Wyrd Sisters in March.

      When: Thursday 13th to Saturday 15th March 2014
      Venue: Newport Free Grammar School, Newport, Essex CB11 3TR
      Time: 7:30pm
      Tickets: £8, concessions £6
      Booking is through the Finance office on 01799540237

      For more information, and a good-looking poster (reproduced with
      permission, no less), go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/nela4oc

      7.6 REMINDER: MEN AT ARMS IN KEW

      The Q2 Players, "Kew's Leading Amateur Theatre Group", will present
      their production of Men at Arms in April.

      When: Thursday 3rd – Saturday 5th April 2014
      Venue: Kew Community Centre, St. Luke's in The Avenue, Richmond,
      Surrey TW9 2AL
      Time: Thurs-Sat shows at 8pm; Sat Matinee 2.30pm
      Tickets: £8 (concessions £6) Box office TBA; email
      q2players@...

      http://www.q2players.org.uk/Q2_Players/Upcoming_Show.html

      7.7 REMINDER: NATION IN TEMPE, ARIZONA

      The Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts will present a
      production of Mark Ravenhill's NT stage adaptation of Nation in
      April, directed by Megan Weaver.

      When: 4th–13th April 2014
      Venue: Galvin Playhouse, 51 E. 10th St, Tempe, AZ 85287 (at Mill
      Avenue & 10th Street, University of Arizona Tempe campus)
      Time: 4th, 5th, 10th and 12th at 7.30pm; 6th and 13th at 2pm
      Tickets: $8-$16; to buy online, go to http://tinyurl.com/lhb2oyw
      Herberger Institute students are offered free admission on tickets
      reserved in advance.

      7.8 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN ACCRINGTON, LANCASHIRE (note Jograffy
      correction!)

      Oswaldtwistle Players will present their production of <Wyrd
      Sisters, adapted by Stephen Briggs and directed by Martina Burns, in
      late April and early May.

      When: 30th April–3rd May 2014
      Venue: Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre, 157 Union Road, Oswaldtwistle,
      Accrington BB5 3HZ
      Time: 19:30
      Tickets: £8.50 (concessions £7.50); all tickets £7 on 30th April

      http://i72139.wix.com/oswaldtwistleplayers

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) DISCWORLD MEETING GROUPS NEWS

      The Broken Drummers, "London's Premier Unofficially Official
      Discworld Group", meets on the first Monday of every month at the
      Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ: "We welcome
      anyone and everyone who enjoys Sir Terry's works, or quite likes
      them or wants to find out more. We have had many visitors from
      overseas who have enjoyed themselves and made new friends. The
      discussions do not only concern the works of Sir Terry Pratchett but
      wander and meander through other genres and authors and also leaping
      to TV and Film production. We also find time for a quiz. The prize
      is superb. The chance to set the quiz the following month."

      Next meeting: Monday 3rd March 2014, from 7pm onwards.

      The Broken Drummers February 2014 meet report:

      "We arrived on Monday night in a state of shock due to problems with
      our landlord and letting agent. Thank you to everyone for your
      support, stories of your own problems with unscrupulous landlords.
      Thank you to Sim especially for the offer of going to shout at them
      in her most Australian way, which is apparently very disturbing to
      British sensibilities. It was great to see such a large crowd this
      month. I'm afraid I have little to report this time as we were
      feeling pretty drained and left early. Jax was just beginning her
      quiz as we left so I don't know the result. Addendum: I'm told that
      Tim E. was the winner."

      For more information, go to http://brokendrummers.org/ or email
      BrokenDrummers@... or nicholls.helen@...

      *

      The Pratchett Partisans are a new fan group who meet monthly at
      either Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all
      things Pratchett". For more info about their next meetup, go to
      http://www.meetup.com/Pratchett-Partisans/ or contact Ula directly
      at uwilmott@...

      *

      The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
      Australia: "We have regular monthly dinner and games nights, longer
      games days, plus play outings, craft-y workshops, and fun social
      activities throughout the year. For more info and to join our
      mailing list, visit":

      http://cityofsmallgods.org.au

      *

      The Broken Vectis Drummers meet on the first Thursday of every month
      from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight.

      Next meeting: Thursday 6th March 2014, probably, but do email to
      check.

      All new members and curious passersby are very welcome! For more
      info and any queries, contact broken_vectis_drummers@...

      *

      The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets on the first
      Friday of every month at Wincanton's famous Bear Inn from 7pm
      onwards. "Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome!"

      Next meeting: Friday 7th March 2014 (probably).

      *

      The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
      Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, has been meeting on a regular
      basis since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood
      (presumably not in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists
      normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton,
      North Yorkshire, to discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having
      quizzes and raffles.

      Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
      Discworld Stamps forum:

      http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

      *

      Sydney Drummers (formerly Drummers Downunder) meet on the first
      Monday of every month in Sydney at 3 Wise Monkeys, 555 George
      Street, Sydney,2000.

      Next meeting: Monday 3rd March 2014 at 6.30pm (probably). For more
      information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax):
      kenworthys@...

      *

      Perth Drummers meet on the first Monday of the month, subject to
      holidays.

      Next meeting: Monday 3rd March 2014 (probably).

      "Please note we have moved to Carpe Cafe from 5.30pm Carpe Cafe, 526
      Murray Street, Perth, WA. Meeting at a cafe means we are under-18
      friendly!"

      For details follow Perth Drummers on Twitter @Perth_Drummers and
      Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Perth.Drummers/ –
      otherwise message Krystel directly at khewett@...

      *

      Western Drummers (that's two groups for the Sydney Pratchett fans
      now) intend to meet on the third Monday of every month at The
      Rowers, Bruce Neal Drive, Penrith at 6.30-7.30pm for food, 7.30pm
      for games, quizzes and chat. For more information, contact Nanny Ogg
      – lewis_oz@... – or visit their Facebook page:

      https://www.facebook.com/westerndrummers

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) MORE IMAGES OF THE MONTH

      Here we have Sir Pterry and Mister Fusspot just before the opening
      night of Salisbury Studio Theatre's production of Making Money.
      Remember, it runs through the 1st of March!

      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bg766GVIgAAtvbV.jpg

      And here he is with the less quadrupedal members of the cast:

      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bg76GUNIIAA-CbL.jpg

      And that's it for February, as far as I know. Remember, next Tuesday
      is Pancake Day! I for one am hoping to be able to eat one. There's
      only so much liquid breakfast and broccoli smoothies a body can
      stand...

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: interact (at) pearwood (dot) info