WOSSNAME -- September 2013 -- Late breaking news

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29 11:11 PM

      September 2013 (Volume 16, Issue 9, Post 2)

      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide

      Staff Writers: Asti, Alison Not Weatherwax, Steven D'Aprano, L.C.

      Thomas

      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk, Fernando Magnifico, Kevin

      time)

      02) RAISING STEAM NEWS UPDATE: THE SYNOPSIS!

      03) PRATCHETT AND GAIMAN "MYSTERY PROJECT"

      04) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      05) SUPERFAN! AN INTERVIEW WITH PAT HARKIN

      06) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

      07) ROUNDWORLD TALES: THE RETURN OF LESHP?!

      08) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

      09) MORE IMAGES OF THE MONTH

      10) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS

      11) THE WOSSNAME REVIEW: THE CARPET PEOPLE

      12) LATE BREAKING NEWS, AND CLOSE

      01) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      Back again with some more news, bits, bobs, odds and sods for

      September... A quote to start:

      "Big respect for the organist at the @OpenUniversity degree ceremony

      today; a fine rendition of the Imperial March!"

      – Sir Pterry ptweets, and WOSSNAME congratulates him for winning

       yet another honorary degree (this one from the Open University)

      *

      Next up: the Carpet People trailer! An epic saga of miniature

      proportions, as they say:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6XSAhx6yG4

      Also, for Facebook users only, a selection of stills from the DVD:

      http://tinyurl.com/le42edk

      *

      There's a new Pratchett meeting group in Fourecks, known as Western

      Drummers

      "Come and join the newly formed Western Drummers for their first

      meeting Monday 21st October 2013, Nepean Rowers Club 7.00pm."

      Apparently Going Postal is being released in Hebrew. For the Golem

      readers among us, perhaps?

      http://www.fantastic-library.com/?p=7821

      And on we go...

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) RAISING STEAM NEWS UPDATE: THE SYNOPSIS!

      "To the consternation of the Patrician, Lord Vetinari, a new

      invention has arrived in Ankh-Morpork – a great clanging monster

      of a machine that harnesses the power of all the elements: earth,

      air, fire and water. This being Ankh-Morpork, it's soon drawing

      astonished crowds, some of whom caught the zeitgeist early and

      arrived armed with note pads and very sensible rainwear.

      "Moist von Lipwig is not a man who enjoys hard work – as master of

      the Post Office, the Mint and the Royal Bank his input is, of

      course, vital... but largely dependent on words, which are

      fortunately not very heavy and don't always need greasing. However,

      he does enjoy being alive, which makes a new job offer from

      Vetinari hard to refuse...

      "Steam is rising over Discworld, driven by Mister Simnel, the man

      wi' t' flat cap and sliding rule who has an interesting arrangement

      with the sine and cosine. Moist will have to grapple with gallons

      of grease, goblins, a fat controller with a history of throwing

      employees down the stairs and some very angry dwarfs if he's going

      to stop it all going off the rails..."

      To view this announcement on the web, in all its graphic-image-y

      loveliness, the procedure is the same as for the previous Raising

      Steam Machine announcement:

      1. Go to https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/raisingsteam

      2. Find the Raising Steam Machine image and click on it; this will

      take you to

      https://www.facebook.com/pratchett?sk=app_190322544333196&app_data

      3. When the Raising Steam Machine page loads, click on the "Press"

      button above the words "Ticket available"

      4. A "ticket" will appear – click on it. This will take you to a

      new page which is your "Ticket". Copy the number to the right of the

      words "Use this ticket number as your password" (this time the

      number is 6819), then click on "click here". This will take you to

      http://terrypratchett.co.uk/?p=2724

      5. Click on the "The list can be viewed here" hyperlink. This will

      take you to the announcement!

      Remember, to pre-order Raising Steam from Amazon UK in hardcover at

      a special-offer price, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/qxmh87w

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) PRATCHETT AND GAIMAN "MYSTERY PROJECT"

      Tristram Fane Saunders reports in the Radio Times:

      "Neil Gaiman and producer/director Dirk Maggs are set to begin work

      on a new Terry Pratchett production for BBC Radio, RadioTimes.com

      can exclusively reveal. The project is currently a closely-guarded

      secret, but in a recent interview with the website Maggs let slip

      that the collaboration is already under way. When asked if he had

      anything exciting planned for the near future, Maggs replied, 'Oh,

      yes. And it's with Neil. And it's Terry Pratchett' – before

      chuckling mischievously and refusing to discuss it further.

      "The project could either be adapted from an existing work by

      Pratchett or a piece of entirely new writing, but many fans will be

      hoping for an original Pratchett-Gaiman story. If Pratchett is to

      take an active co-writing role, this would be the first

      collaboration between him and Gaiman in more than twenty years. The

      two have not written together since their 1990 hit novel Good Omens,

      a black comedy about the apocalypse..."

      http://tinyurl.com/lde5t33

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      4.1 SIR TERRY BLOGS FOR ALZHEIMER'S RESEARCH...

      Alzheimer's Research UK has a new blog section. And of course a

      certain patron of the organisation set the posts rolling:

      "The internet is a dumping ground and finding words of any worth in

      the flotsam and jetsam can be a chore. In spite of this, Alzheimer's

      Research UK – a charity of which I've been patron since 2008 –

      believes more words in the form of a new dementia blog might tempt

      people away from cat videos long enough to read something of

      substance. Are they right?

      "If there is indeed an emerging sense – finally – that we've

      stopped pussy footing around dementia and can now bear to utter its

      name, we nevertheless find a cloud of unknowing persists. People

      read, watch and hear more about it than ever before. They know it's

      out there. They know it will claim more of us as we continue to age.

      They fear it. Dementia vies with cancer in an unsavoury battle of

      the scariest, but it must be said that some lucky people will

      survive cancer. But I suspect many still don't understand dementia

      or, at least, understand it only as an insidious memory loss. The

      fear, perhaps, is a fear of the unknown...

      "If dementia is countless sad stories played out behind closed

      doors, then this corner of the internet is the peek behind the

      curtains. Sharing these stories will be an education for many

      readers and a catharsis to those who contribute to it, but, in the

      end, it won't make people with dementia feel any better; only a new

      drug can do that. So I also expect this resource to become a clear

      commentary on progress towards a cure..."

      To read the full text of the piece on the web, go to:

      http://www.dementiablog.org/terry-pratchett-on-dementia/

      4.2 ...AND MAKES THE NEWS WITH IT

      By Emma Innes in the Daily Mail:

      "In a damning blog, the top-selling author - who was diagnosed with

      Alzheimer's in 2007 - said care services were left to 'paper over

      the cracks' of a lack of funds. Sir Terry wrote a personal

      reflection on society's response to the disease alongside his own

      experiences in the inaugural article for the Alzheimer's Research

      UK. Sir Terry Pratchett, 65, has accused the Government of 'pussy

      footing' around on dementia treatment and withholding vital research

      funds. He called for more investment into research and said science

      needed to deliver on its promises. The 65-year-old said: 'Technology

      and a trained and compassionate care system can help paper over the

      cracks, but, a decade since the last proclaimed development, science

      needs to deliver on its promises. There's more money floating around

      the Government for research, but barely enough to buy a middling

      Premier League striker...'

      "The charity's blog, www.dementiablog.org, aims to share the ideas

      and experiences of people living with dementia. It also hopes to

      bring news on scientists working to improve diagnosis, prevention

      and treatment, and the fundraisers who support the UK's leading

      dementia research charity..."

      http://tinyurl.com/khuzpkm

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) SUPERFAN! AN INTERVIEW WITH PAT HARKIN

      Gayathri Kanagasundaram, at the University of Lincoln, interviews

      Roundworld's most famous Discworld charity auctioneer, practising

      Igor, humorous Twitter user and general all-around nice guy, for The

      National Student:

      "'Terry is a keen gardener and he grew some onions which he pickled

      and he gave a bottle of them to...the man behind Clarecraft and the

      guy who sculpted a lot of the pieces. We have the Discworld

      equivalent of Christmas which is called Hogswatch and at the

      Hogswatch charity auction in Wincanton, this man took the very last

      pickle from his jar and put in a little jar, sealed it and presented

      it for sale at relic of Pratchettry and put it into the auction and

      I bought it as a bit of fun.' Harkin is a known face at the

      Discworld conventions not just in the UK, but all over the world as

      he travels to all the conventions including those in America,

      Germany and Poland. He has even been given the role of the charity

      auctioneer which involves putting Pratchett memorabilia, even his

      own, up for auction. All the money goes to charity. 'A typical

      national convention charity auction raises around £12,000,' Harkin

      says. 'They're obviously much smaller meetings, because there would

      be 900 people at a national convention. There was a meeting last

      weekend at a festival and I dropped in to do some charity auctions

      and we raised the around £1,200. Usually it's for charities that

      Terry approves such as the Orangutan Foundation and now we are doing

      a lot of work for Alzheimer's charities.' But despite this, Harkin

      cannot remember the first time he spoke to Terry Pratchett..."

      http://tinyurl.com/m8ho8qf

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      O6) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

      REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE

      Dursley Operatic and Dramatic Society (DODS) will present their

      production of Wyrd Sisters early next month.

      When: 9th-12th October 2013

      Venue: Lister Hall, The Chantry Centre, 34-36 Long Street,

      Dursley, Gloucs GL11 4JB

      Time: 7.30pm all shows

      Tickets: £10.00 adults, £8 youth (in full time education). To

      buy online, go to:

      http://www.thedods.ticketsource.co.uk/

      To buy at the box office: The Chantry Centre, (Lister Hall) Long

      Street on a Monday and Friday morning.

      http://www.the-dods.com/

      Here be a This is Gloucestershire report on the production:

      "The comedy is Terry's take on Shakespeare's Macbeth and is being

      directed by DODS member Jalea Ward, a long-standing Terry Pratchett

      fan. Jalea said: 'This really is a dream come true for me. I've been

      a massive admirer of Terry's books and to direct Wyrd Sisters as my

      directorial debut for the DODS is a huge honour. We've got an

      enthusiastic and talented cast with many new faces which is great to

      see, and the production is supported by a highly skilled backstage

      crew. The play is a warm and funny adaptation of Terry's fantastic

      story. It should appeal not only to Terry's legion of fans but to

      anyone who enjoys a good night at the theatre.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/m9tphg2

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) ROUNDWORLD TALES: THE RETURN OF LESHP?

      The latest earthquake in Pakistan brought death and destruction, but

      it also brought a fascinating oddity that readers of Jingo will find

      familiar...

      "A local journalist, Bahram Baloch, received the news via a text

      message from a friend. 'It said a hill has appeared outside my

      house,' Mr Baloch said. 'I stepped out, and was flabbergasted. I

      could see this grey, dome-shaped body in the distance, like a giant

      whale swimming near the surface. Hundreds of people had gathered to

      watch it in disbelief.' Mr Baloch and some friends landed on the

      island on Wednesday morning to check it out and to take pictures.

      "It's an oval shaped island which is about 250ft to 300ft (76-91m)

      in length, and about 60 to 70ft above the water," he said. It has a

      rough surface, much of which is muddy and some parts are mostly made

      up of fine- to coarse-grained sand. One part of it is solid rock,

      and that is where Mr Baloch and his friends landed. "There were dead

      fish on the surface. And on one side we could hear the hissing sound

      of the escaping gas," Mr Baloch said. Although they couldn't smell

      gas, they did put a match to the fissures from where it was oozing,

      and set it on fire. 'We put the fire out in the end, but it was

      quite a hassle. Not even the water could kill it, unless one poured

      buckets over it.' The story now doing the rounds in Gwadar is that a

      similar hill had jutted out of the sea 60 or 70 years ago, and that

      the elders had then named it the Zalzala Koh, or the quake hill.

      They say Tuesday's earthquake has brought it back. Their story is

      not entirely incorrect..."

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24272552

      [The article includes a number of fascinating photos – Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

      PTERRY AND ROB AT WORLD FANTASY IN NOVEMBER!

      "We are delighted to announce that Sir Terry Pratchett will be

      dropping by World Fantasy Convention 2013 on the Friday, 1 November

      2013 . The 2010 World Fantasy Lifetime Achievement Award recipient

      will be in conversation with Rob Wilkins, talking about his life and

      career, as well as hopefully reading from his 40th "Discworld"

      novel, Raising Steam, published by Transworld the following week."

      http://www.wfc2013.org/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) MORE IMAGES

      From Missi Love, a man with an Astrochelonian on his head:

      http://tinyurl.com/lmgtxvy

      The elusive yet ever ebullient Lynsey of Transworld! Pictured with

      Sir Terry:

      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUdHGirCcAAXroR.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS

      GUARDS!GUARDS! UPDATES

      A reminder for Discworld fans in Europe: there will be a limited

      number of copies of the game available at Spieltage in Essen next

      month. The German games convention runs from 24th–27th October

      2013:

      "Four days of fun, meeting friends, playing and testing thousands of

      games and novelties together with gamers from all over the world.

      Make up your own mind about the quality of the international gaming

      market and feel free to buy your favourite ones!"

      http://www.internationalespieltage.de

      The G!G! lads will also be presenting a demo of their "Clacks" game,

      in Hall 1, Booth 1-F142.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) THE ACORN IS ALSO AN OAK: AN APPRECIATION OF TERRY PRATCHETT'S

      "THE CARPET PEOPLE"

      A review by Annie Mac

      I first read The Carpet People in the Nineties, not long after its

      appearance as a revised edition. By then I had been reading and

      loving Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels for most of a decade; with

      high expectations, I gave The Carpet People a go, but I found it

      rather... mmm... not exactly disappointing, but it did seem to be a

      lesser, almost throwaway work written as a children's story and

      therefore of little value compared to the Discworld series.

      Re-reading it a week ago for the first time in twenty years, I

      discovered that I was... mmm... very mistaken.  It's a little gem!

      Like the Discworld itself, the miniverse of The Carpet People is a

      "world and mirror of worlds" that delights in turning tired fantasy

      tropes on their hoary, hackneyed ears. No less than in the Discworld

      novels, The Carpet People imbues stock characters with layers of

      complexity and sometimes surprising depths. They're all here, the

      cast of cliches – the physically strong, socially conservative

      (and not terribly bright) tribal chieftain; the weedy, clever-but-

      unmotivated kid brother who has adventure and heroism thrust upon

      him; the world-weary soldier who is far too intelligent and

      pragmatic for his job; the primitive shaman who is actually an

      iconoclastic intellectual; the hot-headed shortstuff for whom

      violence is a comically instinctive first response; the mystical,

      more-than-human Ancient Race in Decline; and of course, the classic

      villain with plans for world domination – but in the hands of a

      master wordsmith (and let there be no doubt, even in his early years

      as a writer Pratchett was a master wordsmith) these familiar

      characters live and breathe and have real substance, for all that

      their greatest metropolis is barely the size of the full stop at the

      end of this sentence.

      For those of you who don't already know, The Carpet People is the

      tale of Snibril, a member of the Munrungs – a tribe of minuscule

      humanoids who inhabit the "world" of an ordinary human floor-carpet

      – and his people's quest to find a safe new home after their

      village is destroyed by the vast, invisible, world-wrecking force

      known as Fray. As they travel the Carpet, they encounter unlikely

      allies, evil enemies, curious kingdoms, ancient legendary races,

      bizarre beasts and mythical monsters, and they discover that their

      world is stranger than they had ever imagined it to be.

      Does this sound like a children's story? I suppose it is. But The

      Carpet People is far more than that. While it contains many of the

      seeds of characters and concepts that have since come to full

      blossom in the Discworld novels, it is also a novel that stands on

      its own merits and can be enjoyed by readers of all ages.

      If you are looking for subtext or analogues, The Carpet People can

      provide. The Munrungs, forced by circumstance to pack their battered

      possessions and take to the road ahead of natural – and less

      natural – invading forces, can be seen as a representation of any

      family, tribe or ethnic group who migrate to escape a war or other

      catastrophe too vast to be fought. The antagonistic, Fray-

      worshipping Mouls bring to mind every collection of would-be ethnic

      cleansers in human history. After a while, the adult reader will

      find that the childish daftness of microscopic cartoon humans living

      in an ordinary room carpet begins to become a believable tale of the

      dispossessed; that beneath the comedic, the fantastical and the

      deliberately jarring juxtapositions of storybook fantasy-adventure

      and modern real-world words and concepts lie cogent depictions of

      the never-ending contest between tradition and innovation, of the

      courage of ordinary people under pressure, and of the bittersweet

      reinvention that accompanies the loss of innocence during any mass

      emigration.

      If Pratchett has a "author's voice" character in The Carpet People,

      I would say it is most probably the shaman Pismire, who uses his

      position of authority in the Munrung tribe to champion "stealth

      philosophy" and critical thinking. Second place in my estimation

      goes to Bane, the rogue Dumii officer whose laconic personality and

      unsoldierly sensibilities are plainly the template for the later

      Discworld characters of Lavaeolus and Tacticus. There also seems to

      be a qualified authorial approval of the Dumii way of organising

      societies. The science fiction author Robert Heinlein repeatedly

      claimed, through various characters in his iconic novels, that

      politics is humankind's greatest peace-promoting invention; in The

      Carpet People, Terry Pratchett seems to suggest that perhaps it is

      bureaucracy. The Dumii Empire (recognisably Roman, but no less real

      for it) needed an army at first to conquer the peoples of the

      Carpet, but what the conquerors brought with them – specie,

      organised commerce, codified laws, census-taking – appealed so

      much to the subject tribes that rebellion soon became impractical

      and eventually undesirable.

      But The Carpet People is, most of all, a fun read. Taken at face

      value, it's a lively, dare I even say cracking, tale of adventures,

      monsters, battles, kings, demons, disasters, valour, and all the

      full-on swashbuckling a good fairy tale should rightly have.

      Oh, and I almost forgot – the illustrations! Which are, quite

      simply, wonderful. I won't go so far as to say that the world lost

      one of its great illustrators when Terry Pratchett decided to stick

      to wordsmithing, but the illustrations in The Carpet People are full

      of stylishness and charm, and compliment the story tidily. All of

      them are very well done and some of them would make worthy art

      prints in their own right.

      If you have read The Carpet People before, now is a good time to

      update your Pratchett library with this new edition and have a re-

      read – especially as this new edition includes the original

      stories about the Carpet People themselves (which *were* for

      children), as written by the then seventeen-year-old Pratchett for

      his employers at the Bucks Free Press newspaper.

      If you have never read The Carpet People, what are you waiting for?

      – oh, right, it won't be released until November fifth. Well,

      there's always the pre-order option...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) LATE BREAKING NEWS, AND CLOSE

      UPCOMING TREATS FOR PRATCHETT NEWBIES IN USA

      On BuzzFeed, a cute "twelve things to expect when you start reading

      Terry Pratchett" piece, complete with illustrations, photographs,

      and awesome shoes:

      http://tinyurl.com/kf3mtvw

      *

      REVIEW: THE LONG WAR

      By Colin Steele in the Sydney Morning Herald:

      "Reminiscent of Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series, the books

      suffer in narrative tightness from the multiplicity of worlds and

      storylines, although they certainly don't lack for imaginative

      flair. Pratchett and Baxter explore humanity's vibrant but rather

      disruptive place in their universes, as well as satirise

      contemporary topics, especially religion and politics. Once again,

      the storyline ends on a cliffhanger, with the series looking as if

      it will have a long publishing life..."

      http://tinyurl.com/l473tz6

      *

      TROLL BRIDGE FILM – AN UPDATE... MAYBE...

      "Hi guys, It is with great regret that we announce we won't have the

      film finished in time for the Irish Discworld Convention as hoped.

      The entire team is utterly gutted – it was an outside chance we

      would make it, but it was something we were striving for

      nonetheless. The date has now shifted to early February.  We're

      hoping this buys us enough time to get the quality where it needs to

      be for a Berlinale world premiere.  The good news is, is that

      because Berlin is so close to England – we'll be able to zip across

      quickly afterwards for a UK premiere the weekend after. We'll keep

      you posted. Everything is currently resting on a lot of hard work

      and a little bit of luck. Pray to The Lady for us... We'll start

      updating a little more regularly through Kickstarter too

      (fortnightly is what we'd like to aim for), just so we can be

      completely transparent with you all about where we're up to... Once

      again, and as always, the entire team thanks you for your patients.

      Not long to go now..."

      http://tinyurl.com/mbbndsc

      And that's the lot for September. See you next month!

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:

      interact@...