WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2001 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2001
      WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2001 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)

      -------
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) UK SIGNING TOUR DATES:
      THE LAST HERO

      WEEK 1

      Weds Nov 7th:
      12.30pm WH Smith, 049 Lower Mall, Cribbs Causeway,
      Bristol, BS34 5GG

      4.30pm Blackwells, 13-17 Royal Arcade,
      Cardiff, CF10 1AE

      Thurs Nov 8th:
      12.30pm Waterstone's, 219-223 Dean Street, Telford,
      Shropshire, TF3 4BT

      4.30pm Hammicks, 2 Warren Street,
      Stockport, SK1 1UD

      Fri Nov 9th
      12.30pm Interstellar Mastertraders, 33 North Road,
      Lancaster, LA1 1NS

      7.00pm Chester Literary Festival

      Sat Nov 10th
      11.00am Andromeda Book Co. 2-5 Suffolk Street,
      Birmingham, B7 5SB

      2.30pm Books Etc, Unit 45, Touchwood,
      Solihull, B91 3GS

      WEEK 2

      Weds Nov 14th
      12.30pm WH Smith, 2 Devonshire Walk, Eagle Centre,
      Derby, DE1 2NN

      4.30pm WH Smith, 38-40 Fargate,
      Sheffield, S1 2HE

      Thurs Nov 15th
      12.30pm Ottakar's, 297A High Street,
      Lincoln, LN2 1AF

      4.30pm Bookmark, 20 The Crescent,
      Spalding, Lincs PE11 1AF

      Fri Nov 16th
      12.30pm Waterstone's, 15-19 Buttermarket,
      Ipswich, IP1 1BQ

      4.30pm Ottakars, 11-17 Castle Street,
      Norwich, NR2 1PB

      Sat Nov 17th
      12.00pm Forbidden Planet, 71 New Oxford Street,
      London, WC1A 1DG

      WEEK 3

      Tues Nov 20th
      4.30pm Ottakars, 3-7 Union Bridge,
      Aberdeen, AB11 6BG

      Wed Nov 21st
      12.30pm Ottakars, Unit 1, Upper Mall, Princes Square,
      East Kilbride, G74 1LJ

      Thurs Nov 22nd
      12.30pm Ottakar's, 100 The Glade Shopping Centre,
      Bromley, BR1 1DJ

      4.30pm Ashford (Hammicks)

      Fri Nov 23rd
      12.30pm Borders, Unit MSU6 Churchill Square,
      Brighton, BN1 2TB

      4.30pm Waterstone's, West Quay Shopping Centre,
      Western Esplanade, Southampton, SO15 1QE

      Sat Nov 24th
      11.00am Waterstone's, The Oracle Centre, 12 Holybrook Mall,
      Reading, RG1 2AQ

      3.00pm Borders, 1-12 Magdalen Street,
      Oxford, OX1 3AD

      -- Aaron Pawson, UK

      6) HOW I DISCOVERED TERRY PRATCHETT

      I went looking for a new author, one that would
      maybe touch on a few Main Themes in his / her
      books. I found Terry Pratchett. He has a few
      Main Themes he manipulates and coerces into
      doing tricks for him. Main Themes, such as
      Philosophy (Eastern, western, new, old, Freudian
      and Jungian), Religion (organized, pagan, Gods,
      myths), Art, Music, Literature, Litigation, Power,
      Pop Psychology, Computer Technology (Ram
      skulls and all), Finance, Medieval Guilds, Modern
      Unions, Organized Crime (sorry, redundant), War,
      Business, History, Death, Tourism, Eastern
      Mysticism, Heroes, Crime, Punishment, Karma
      (not to be confused with Krisma), Duty, honor,
      ambition, greed, pride, selfishness, selflessness,
      Respect for Elders, and of course, Dragons.

      Say it all in one breath. Go ahead, I’ll wait.
      Dumdeedumdeedumdumdee.

      Okay, breathe. See, it takes a lot just to say
      the list of Main Themes. Forget about the
      subplots, subliminal morals, time shifts,
      changing point of view perspectives and
      existential metaphors. Never mind trying
      to separate the kingly fools and foolish kings,
      heroic losers and lost heroes, dwarf males
      and dwarf females, the witches from wizards
      (well, not so tough in this more than usual
      chauvinistic world) and the living from the dead.

      I mean, Death is a main character for goodness
      sakes. One of the better ones, I might add.

      But what does this all mean, really? Not a thing.
      For at the heart of his books is a dry but spicy
      humor that causes chuckles to erupt while on
      the 5:41 out of Penn Station, making you the
      object of many a perturbed glare from the almost
      asleep and you don’t care. You just don’t. It
      is so rare a gift to be able to make people think
      and laugh at the same time, often with a mouthful
      of coffee (or tea, if that is your preferred liquid to
      come spewing out as you are ambushed by some
      comment by Nobby, Gaspode or even Foul Ole Ron).

      I have introduced the series to a small number of
      people of varying educational backgrounds (some
      regular High School graduates and some from
      Florida – kind of a big disparity there)* and have
      found that ALL of them have enjoyed reading them.

      You can tell which ones they are on the train. Just
      don’t sit in front of them.

      -- Christopher Callahan

      * Ed: Like your Editor who lives in Florida and has a
      Master's Degree in Writing?

      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS

      7) VOICES OF DEATH

      Dear Editor:

      I just got the audio of Mort, and I'm a little
      disappointed how Tony reads Death. Don't
      get me wrong, I like tony ad think he's a
      fabulous actor/writer, though I think they
      could have done something more with
      Death's voice.

      The best way, I can descibe how Death's
      voice would sound to me, is deep and
      perhaps a it gravelly, like how Tony reads
      it, but somewhat distant, like it's coming
      through a pole and perhaps have some
      sort of a 'metallic' or other worldly sound to it.

      What are everyone's thoughts on this?

      -- Titania, Australia
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      Dear Editor:

      The best death voice I've heard so far is via the
      stage show of Mort by the Unseen Theatre
      Company. It was weird and other-wordly, and,
      yeah, did sound a lot like Darth Vader, without
      the heavy breathing. You'd need a deep male
      voice and a distortion device, like killers in trashy
      movies. Something to make it sound creepy.
      Anyone heard the Death in the 'Mort' stage show?
      Maybe someone can better describe it.

      -- Daniel O'Brien, Australia

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      8) BOOK BARGAINS

      Dear Editor:

      Just to let you know that I have some special offers
      on at the moment in my second-hand book shop
      that your readers may be interested in.

      For example:
      3 Wizard Books (pb) @ £6.50 & p&p
      (The Colour of Magic, Moving Pictures and Light Fantastic).
      3 Death Books (pb) @ £6.50 & p&p
      (Mort, Soul Music and Reaper Man).
      Also, several hardback books @ £6.50 each & p&p
      including Jingo and Feet of Clay.