WOSSNAME -- June 2013 -- Late breaking news and horoscope

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2013
      June 2013 (Volume 16, Issue 6, Post 2)

      01) LATE BREAKING NEWS
      02) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE FOR MAY
      03) MORE IMAGES OF THE MONTH

      01) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      Jack Dodger's Guide to London is coming! A chapbook as one might
      say, a companion piece to Dodger, "based on original notes penned by
      jack Dodger himself" and bursting with facts-to-amaze about the
      London of his times. Here be the first blurb:

      "ROLL UP! ROLL UP! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

      "Ladies and Gents, Sir Jack Dodger brings you a most excellent Guide
      to London!

      "Did you know . . . ?

      "If a Victorian couldn't afford a sweep, they might drop a goose
      down their chimney to clean it!

      "A posh lady's unmentionables could weigh up to 40lbs!

      "Parliament had to be suspended during the Great Stink of 1858!

      "From the wretches of the rookeries to the posh nobs at Buckingham
      Palace, Dodger will show you every dirty inch of London.

      "Warning: Includes 'orrible murders, naughty ladies and plenty of
      geezers!"

      Priced at a very reasonable £12.99 in hardcover, Jack Dodger's
      Guide to London will be published 21st November 2013 by Doubleday
      Children's Books, a division of Random House.

      To pre-order:

      http://tinyurl.com/nwl8sze

      Readers in Fourecks may wish to pre-order via The Book Depository
      (Random House-approved) at a price of AUD$18.18 (free shipping
      included):

      http://tinyurl.com/q6kbkef

      The Guide is also available as an ebook:

      http://tinyurl.com/pl4hqb8

      A larger image of the wonderful cover:

      http://tinyurl.com/qcdxkds

      Editor's note: if Dodger's Guide whets your interest in the frankly
      fascinating social history of London, you might also be interested
      in the (also nonfiction) London series by Catharine Arnold. So far
      she has covered – going back to very ancient times and up to the
      modern era – the history of London's Seamstresses (City of Sin:
      London and its Vices); of Bedlam and London's treatment of the
      mentally ill (Bedlam: London and Its Mad); of London's funerary
      practices and the history of cemeteries (Necropolis: London and Its
      Dead); and most recently, London's crime and punishment from Tudor
      times to the present day (Underworld London: Crime and Punishment in
      the Capital City). Your Editor has the series, O Readers, and
      recommends it very highly!

      *

      Remember, next Friday is the start of the 2013 NADWCon! This year's
      theme is L-space and the guests include Sir Pterry himself (with Rob
      of course), Colin Smythe, Team Artificer and many more!

      https://www.nadwcon.org/

      *

      On Random House Children's blog, a Q&A with Paul Kidby. Some
      samples:

      "Which of Pratchett's characters do you most enjoy drawing?

      "I enjoy drawing Vimes and Granny Weatherwax (who reminds me a
      little of my no-nonsense Welsh mum) because they are both complex
      characters and it's quite challenging to capture their many
      aspects . . . and the Nac Mac Feegles, of course, because they are
      sheer fun..."

      "Who or what inspires you?

      "The natural world around me inspires me. I live in a beautiful part
      of Hampshire called the New Forest, where wild ponies, donkeys and
      cattle roam and there are ancient woods and wild moors. I like to
      walk my dog each day and think about ideas for my work. I also enjoy
      visiting galleries and seeing all different sorts of art. I take my
      inspiration from everything and anything: from a trip to the market
      to reading a book – especially if it is by Terry Pratchett..."

      http://tinyurl.com/o4t5lgd

      *

      News for those of you who supported our Newshound Asti's Everest
      climb to raise funds for the restoration of the historic Hex hub at
      Bletchley Park – the restoration has begun!

      "In addition to the restoration of iconic Codebreaking Huts and
      Blocks, it is now being reinvigorated with fantastic interactive
      exhibits, new activities and fresh displays. Once complete,
      Bletchley Park will be much nearer to its aspiration of being a
      world-class education and heritage centre. In this first phase of
      regeneration Block C will be transformed into a vibrant Visitor
      Centre with an informative and inspirational introductory exhibition
      presenting the rich history of Bletchley Park. Along with a brand
      new shop and café, the visitor's experience of Bletchley Park
      will be dramatically improved..."

      http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/content/support/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE
      by Kevin

      Bon jorno everybody! It's me, Kevin, still your acting horoscoper
      while Fernando Magnifico is being hostageded by the Dread Pirate
      Queen Roberta. This month, my mean ol teacher Mrs Cartilage made us
      do a project about farming and growin food and stuff like that, so I
      reckon this is a good time for a horoscope about what's the best
      thing for you to farm if you have to be a farmer.

      Chow Bela!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Currant Bun (formerly The Adamant Hedgehog) 21 Mar – 20 Apr

      Bunnies, accordin to the stars, if you become a farmer youd be best
      suited to growin sheep. Lozza's stuck-up sister Scarlatina doesn't
      believe me when I tole her that lamb chops and mutton come from
      sheep, she reckons they probly grow on trees or the wizards magic em
      up or something but Zapp and me went down to the market district
      where all the meat selling people are one afternoon and watched the
      butchers, and trust me, they don't grow on trees. If they werent so
      tasty, I reckon it would completely put you off your roast lamb
      dinner. Anyway, if you don't like the idea of killin sheep, you can
      just cut their wools off. It doesn't hurt the sheep at all, it's
      just like getting a hair cut only the shearer doesnt spray them with
      rose water afterwards, which is probly a good thing cos then the
      sheep would just spend the rest of the day wanderin around confused
      and tryin to find the rose bush to eat it.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Half-Eaten Sandwich 21 Apr – 21 May

      Sandies, you're best suited to farming vegtables. That doesn't sound
      right to me, cos who eats vegtables? Apart from mums, my mum is
      always telling me to eat my vegtables cos she reckons they're good
      for me, but I'm pretty sure anything that tastes as disgustin as
      asparigrass couldn't possibly be healthy. And those History Monks
      eat vegtables too, and all right they have these amazin powers and
      know those secret fightin techneeks like Upsidazi and deja fu but
      they live all the way up in the Hub and drink disgustin stuff like
      yak butter tea so they dont count. But I suppose that theres a few
      veggies that are okay, like potatoes, and some that you could use
      for a bit of flavourin on real food, like onions. Maybe you could
      grow vegtables in amusing shapes and put them in a museum and charge
      10 cents for people to come look at them. I reckon that would be
      okay.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Knotted String (formerly Herne the Hunted) 22 May – 21 Jun

      Knotties, your farming is cows. Did you know that, in Howondaland
      the farmers dont eat the whole cow like we do, they make a little
      cut on the cow's side and it bleeds into a bowl and then they mix it
      with milk and drink it? My mate Zapp reckons that's pretty gross,
      but I reckon that's no worser than black pudding. My gran makes her
      own black puddings, sometimes I help her and it's pretty gross but
      it tastes okay, so I reckon that maybe the Howandalanders have got
      the right idea cos if you eat the whole cow you're down one cow, but
      if you just drink some of its blood it can last for years an years.
      That's what the vampires reckon, and they would know.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Wizard's Staff and Knob 22 Jun – 22 Jul

      Staffies, the stars reckon that youre best suited to farming geese.
      I reckon that farming geese must be really dangerous, cos geese are
      strong enough to break a man's arm with one wack of its wings. Or
      maybe it was swans? But its worth it, cos sometimes you get a goose
      that lays eggs made all out of gold. Only I'm not sure if they're
      gold all the way through, or just the shell, but either way, dont
      kill the goose, cos if you do it wont lay any more eggs. You wouldnt
      reckon that anyone is stupid enough to need to be told this, but
      apparently some people are.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      Bilious, God of Hangovers 23 Jul – 23 Aug

      Bilians, the stars reckon youre best suited to apple farming. Apples
      are the prince of fruits, cos they are so useful for all sorts of
      things, like eating and baking and apple pies and apple sauce.
      Theyre just the right size for throwing at Lozza when he's being a
      scag, and theyre good for putting princesses to sleep for a hundred
      years until some ol prince comes along and kisses her. But best of
      all for Bilians, theyre good for making healthy fruit drinks like
      scumble.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      My Uncle's Nose 24 Aug – 23 Sept

      Nosers, the stars say your destiny is to take up cheese herding.
      Most cheeses are easy to wrangle, but watch out for for the Lancre
      Blue, which is a solitary cheese that doesn't get on well with
      others, and the Quirm Extra Rowdy, which likes nothing more than to
      form a gang and have a bit of a barney with the other cheeses. I
      reckon that being a cheese herder would be totally awesome. The only
      bad part of cheese herding is if you get caught in a stampede, I
      reckon that would be really scary to have 500 Brindisi Hard Cheeses
      comin right at you in the middle of a thunderstorm. Cheese herding
      isn't for everybody though, some of them cheeses get pretty ripe on
      the trail. Cheese herders are almost as famous as dunnykin divers
      for not havin friends outside the profeshun, and that's why theyre
      called "the Lonesome Cheeseboy".

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Small Boring Group of Faint Stars 24 Sept – 23 Oct

      Boring'uns, your astrological destiny is worm farming. Not for
      eating, but I read this book about worm farming and its really
      intresting, you can sell the worms to fishermen and to Harry King
      for his compost bins, and the worms make casts and tea, that's the
      posh names for worm poo and pee. You can sell the casts and tea to
      other farmers, cos they make plants grow really well. You better be
      careful though, cos even though worms are small, theres a lot of
      them, and I reckon if they all ganged up on you at once you could be
      in trouble, so watch out. If you do take up worm farming, you might
      have to practice dancing at worm feeding time, cos most Boring'uns
      walk without rhythm and that won't attract the worms.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      Androgyna Majestis 24 Oct – 22 Nov

      Andies, the stars say the kind of farming thats best for you is
      growing rice. Growing rice is kinda wet and messy, cos the rice
      plants need to grow in water. In Agatea they flood the whole paddock
      so the rice will grow, but here in Ankh-Morpork we're much more
      advanced than that cos we have Magically Modified foods that can
      grow in Ankh water. Sometimes you don't even have to strain it
      first. MM rice is really awesome, cos you can grow it on the Ankh,
      and when the river gets a bit too lumpy it will climb up the banks
      and wait a few days before goin back in. Lots of people dont like MM
      foods, but theyre like *completely* safe, so long as you dont eat
      them after midnight, and the MM rice hardly ever explodes these days.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Spoons, a.k.a. the Greater and Lesser Spoons, 23 Nov – 21 Dec

      Spooners, the best thing for you to farm is dragons, which is really
      weird cos you cant eat dragons or get milk or wool from them. When
      theyre really little, you can use them to light your cigars, but
      they usually burn a hole in your coat pocket. But lots of people
      like to have a pet dragon when theyre small and cute, and then
      abandon em when theyre big enough to start eating the kettle. I
      think thats really cruel, so I reckon that you ought to throw a few
      pennies in the collection for the dragon sancturary and then just
      not breed dragons.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      Hoki the Jokester 22 Dec – 20 Jan

      Hokians, your astrological farming destiny is the challengingest of
      all, cos youre suited to farming elephants. If you ever wondered
      where those ol clicks posters advertisin so and so "WITH A THOUSANDE
      ELEPHANTS!!!!!" got their elephants from, the answer is from the
      elephant farmers. Baby elephants is pretty cute but those posters
      got the "THOUSANDE" right cos a elephant eats about a thousand
      pounds of veggies and stuff a day and makes about a thousand pounds
      of poo too, so farmin elephants will keep you totally busy. But
      elephants are dead clever so you can teach yours to help you farm
      em, and also if one of em breaks off a tusk youll never be short of
      toothpicks or piano keys again. And if the Revenoo starts pokin
      around, you can bury your money and then move the elephants on top
      of it and nobody will ever know.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Big Chicken 21 Jan – 18 Feb

      Squawkers, the stars reckon that youre best suited to farming
      tobacco, or "the leaf" as some people call it. My mum wont let dad
      smoke in the house, which is good cos his pipe really stinks, but
      lots of people like it, specially witches and wizards and barbarian
      heeros. That's about the only thing that wizards and heeros agree
      on, that and that there never was a good Grand Vizzyer. Most tobacco
      comes from Howondaland, but I did a project about the Octarine Grass
      Country and they grow tobacco there too, in a place called The
      County, where the people are really short from smokin too much.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      Hyperopia's Buckle (formerly Lesser Umbrage) 19 Feb – 20 Mar

      Bucklers, the stars are good to you this month cos your farming is
      brassicas. I looked that up in the dictionary, and it doesnt have
      anything to do with brass, it means cabbages and brussle sprouts and
      stuff like that. I reckon this is probly the easiest job on the
      Disc, cos you just throw the seeds in the ground and they grow on
      their own. You just have to watch out that the Sto Kerrig Hardcases
      don't terrify the other cabbages.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) A FEW MORE IMAGES

      Pterry and Steve hanging out in the beer garde-, um, hard at work on
      the the Long Earth novel:

      http://tinyurl.com/o6h9qvv

      TLW advert on a bus shelter – looks good!

      http://tinyurl.com/qamsqze

      Artist Rita Ria's fantastic Pterry tribute portrait:

      http://tinyurl.com/q4w4ksu

      Archchancellor Bill Rincewind of Bugarup University, as drawn by
      Paul Kidby:

      http://tinyurl.com/nnltb32

      A truly superb Discworld cake by Jo's Cake Designs in Bedford,
      England:

      http://tinyurl.com/q4mjjpt

      [It looks like this company does all-around fabulous work. Have a
      shufti at http://www.joscakedesigns.com/ – Ed.]

      And that's the lot for the month of June. See you next month!

      If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...