WOSSNAME -- Main edition -- June 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2013
      June 2013 (Volume 16, Issue 6, Post 1)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Alison Not Weatherwax, Steven D'Aprano, L.C.
      Thomas
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk, Fernando Magnifico, Kevin
      time)

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) HERE COMES THE LONG WAR!
      04) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT
      05) 2013 PRATCHETT PRIZE WINNER ANNOUNCED
      06) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      07) THE THINGS PRATCHETT FANS SAY...
      08) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      09) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
      10) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS
      11) ACTION REPLAY
      12) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      13) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "I also pledge that from this day on I'll slaughter all unruly
      dragons, and rescue any damsels in distress who request my help."

      – the newly knighted Sir Baldrick-Crumley, erm, Sir Tony Robinson,
      who sounds as if he could do with borrowing Sir Pterry's sword

      "It'd be much nicer to think that his mind is not dissolving –
      it's being pulled into another dimension where turtles play a much
      more significant role in geology."

      – passionate Pterry fan Threenorns

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      Honeys, I'm home! Or perhaps that should be more like "She's
      baaaack!" This was the longest I've been away from home for many
      years, and I am indebted to our Newshounds, especially the
      indefatigable Asti, for taking up most of the newsgathering duties.

      One of WOSSNAME's Newshounds directed me to the blog section of Tor
      Books' website, where fantasy author Brandon Sanderson has written a
      paean to Pratchett the master writer, under the headline of "Terry
      Pratchett's Discworld Might Be The Highest Form of Literature on the
      Planet". Sanderson, whose claim to fame is as a pulp fantasist and
      picker-up of Robert Jordan's inconsidered trifles, bemoans the
      (supposed) fact that Sir Pterry hasn't won any major awards. A quick
      shufti at Wikipedia shows that someone didn't do his research:

      "Pratchett was the British Book Awards' 'Fantasy and Science Fiction
      Author of the Year' for 1994... Pratchett won the British Science
      Fiction Award in 1989 for his novel, Pyramids, and a Locus Award for
      Best Fantasy Novel in 2008 for Making Money... Pratchett won the
      2001 Carnegie Medal from the British librarians, recognising The
      Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents as the year's best
      children's book published in the U.K... Three of the four Discworld
      novels that centre on the 'trainee witch' Tiffany Aching won the
      annual Locus Award for Best Young Adult Book in 2004, 2005 and 2007.
      Pratchett was the recipient of NESFA's Skylark Award in 2009. In
      2010 he received a World Fantasy award for lifetime achievement. He
      is the 2011 recipient of the Margaret A. Edwards Award from the
      Young Adult Library Services Association, a Division of ALA,
      recognising a significant and lasting contribution to young adult
      literature... I Shall Wear Midnight won the 2010 Andre Norton Award
      for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy presented by the Science
      Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) as a part of the
      Nebula Award ceremony..." And also, "Night Watch won the 2003
      Prometheus Award for best libertarian novel.In 2003, BBC conducted
      The Big Read to identify the 'Nation's Best-loved Novel' and finally
      published a ranked list of the 'Top 200'. Pratchett's highest-
      ranking novel was Mort, number 65, but he and Charles Dickens were
      the only authors with five in the Top 100 (four of his were from the
      Discworld series). He also led all authors with fifteen novels in
      the Top 200."

      Not to mention the 7+1 honorary doctorates, and of course that
      knighthood...

      Comment number 62, by a fan called Del, sums it up nicely for me:
      "Terry Pratchett has one major flaw. His writing sets such a high
      bar that it will ruin you for any other writer."

      Sanderson's piece, and a myriad of mostly intelligent comments, can
      be found here:

      http://tinyurl.com/cqazfzc

      Many Pterry fans are also fans of the oeuvre of Iain Banks and are
      mourning his rather premature death, which occurred on the 9th of
      this month:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Banks

      And now, the news. And stuff.

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) THE LONG WAR NEWS

      An official blurb:

      "A generation after the events of The Long Earth, humankind has
      spread across the new worlds opened up by 'stepping.' A new
      'America' — Valhalla — is emerging more than a million steps
      from Datum — our Earth. Thanks to a bountiful environment, the
      Valhallan society mirrors the core values and behaviors of colonial
      America. And Valhalla is growing restless under the controlling long
      arm of the Datum government."

      *

      A special extract from The Long War is available to read online or
      download. It's only a short-ish piece, but it shows that the action
      is hotting up. If you haven't pre-ordered, or your local bookshop
      doesn't have the book (yet), or you just want a hint of what's in
      there, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/ny6cf25

      *

      Pratchett and Baxter's live talk about The Long War at
      The Institute of Engineering and Technology in London is set for
      this week! There may still be some tickets available..

      "Two giants of Science fiction come together to discuss their new
      collaboration The Long Earth series, parallel world theories and
      what's next for Datum Earth! Don't miss their only UK event. The
      event, which will be held at The Institute of Engineering and
      Technology, 2 Savoy Place, London WC2R 0BL, will run for
      approximately one hour and books will be on sale courtesy of
      Forbidden Planet – these books will be stamped exclusively for
      this event. There will be the opportunity to purchase signed books
      by both authors but these will be strictly limited and ticket
      numbers for these will be drawn fairly out of a hat on the evening!"

      Event: Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter: The Long War
      When: 25th June 2013
      Venue: The Institution of Engineering and Technology, 2 Savoy Place,
      London WC2R 0BL
      Time: 7pm (event will last for about an hour)
      Tickets: £10.00, can be purchased online by going to this page:

      http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/?p=2629

      For more info, and to purchase tickets:

      http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/?p=2629

      *

      A special offer for Waterstones (UK) customers:

      "Along with the standard hardback, you can also get your hands on a
      slipcased numbered edition bearing Terry Pratchett's personal stamp

      http://tinyurl.com/l8vejle

      or a metallic edition featuring a conversation between the authors,
      both exclusive to Waterstones."

      http://tinyurl.com/l5opqha

      *

      A review by Siraj Patel in The Express (UK) online:

      "As you turn each page, there is a sense of approaching excitement
      and action that never actually materialises. In a book called The
      Long War you would expect a sequence of battles but the war that is
      fought in the novel is the phoney war of a world refusing to accept
      the rule of dominant America. The humans live with intelligent
      trolls who are made to work for them. Fed up with being mistreated,
      the trolls begin to leave worlds with high human populations and it
      is Sally Lindsay who embarks on a mission to persuade them that
      humans are capable of treating them well. While she at first enlists
      the help of Joshua Valiente, the hero of The Long Earth who has
      settled down with his family on a quiet world, they become separated
      after Sally frees a troll who has been unjustly imprisoned after
      attacking humans... the nagging feeling that Joshua has his own
      secret agenda does not come to fruit as the story culminates in a
      party hosted by the only person who has some control over him: his
      dead sister, Agnes, who is resurrected by Black Corporation and
      Lobsang to be a check on his unbridled power... While the novel
      contains excellent and engaging descriptions of the different
      worlds, there is a sense that as you reach the culmination of the
      book where everything ties in peacefully, one can't help
      wondering: Is that it..."

      http://tinyurl.com/n2ftzct

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT

      Our favourite author has received the British Humanist Association's
      2013 Services to Humanism award:

      "Sir Terry Pratchett OBE this weekend received an award in
      recognition of his services to Humanism at the annual conference of
      the British Humanist Association (BHA) in a ceremony held at the
      Leeds City Museum... The Services to Humanism award was established
      to highlight the work of individuals who campaign, who support our
      work in education, who extend thinking in the field of Humanism, and
      who challenge the privilege that religious organisations hold in
      society... Through his extensive body of work [Pratchett] has
      challenged and changed the way a generation thinks about the
      universe, heroism, and story-telling. It is for this but also for
      his personal fortitude and the example he has set – very publicly
      – of how a humanist deals with life's darker times that the BHA
      recognises Sir Terry with the 2013 award for Services to Humanism.
      He has turned his personal suffering into a positive campaign:
      firstly to fund greater research into Alzheimer's disease and
      secondly for the right to die with dignity. He has had an enormous
      impact on the public debate around that issue and showcased humanist
      values in doing so..."

      http://tinyurl.com/mmmqfj2

      *

      The next five re-jacketed Discworld reissues are now available:
      Interesting Times, Maskerade, Feet of Clay, Hogfather, and Jingo.
      The new covers feature updated versions of the famous – or
      infamous, depending on your views – Josh Kirby artwork as seen on
      the original publications.

      The "black edition" of Snuff [a simple but quite attractive cover
      design – Ed.] is now available in paperback.

      Also, let's not forget the new editions of the Johnny Maxwell
      trilogy – Only You Can Save Mankind, Johnny and the Dead and Johnny
      and the Bomb, all featuring cover art by Paul Kidby.

      *

      A review of Dodger, by serial Pratchett reviewer Michael Cheang in
      Malaysia's The Star:

      "This may not be one of Pratchett's books from the more popular
      Discworld series, but the world it occupies is also a fantasy world
      of sorts, populated by well-known literary names and characters co-
      existing in an early Victorian-age London that somehow reminds one
      of Discworld's sprawling Ankh Morpokh metropolis (with cleaner
      sewers, if that is even possible). It's such a wonderfully warped
      yet artfully constructed little world that I wouldn't have been
      surprised if some alien tripods showed up and blow up London only
      for the city to be saved by the Nautilus, emerging from the depths
      of the Thames River... Dodger is a main character who is instantly
      likeable and whom you will immediately want to root for. His rise
      from street urchin to the upper echelons of society is a journey you
      desperately want him to complete, even though it sometimes feels as
      though Pratchett is making it way too easy for him. While the author
      admits in his acknowledgements that 'certain tweaks were needed to
      get people in the right place at the right time', probably only
      historical nitpickers will begrudge him this artistic license. This
      is, after all, a 'fantasy based on a reality', a 'historical
      fantasy, and certainly not a historical novel', which Pratchett
      wrote to get people interested in that fascinating era. If that was
      his main objective, then he certainly succeeded. While reading the
      book, I was constantly researching names that popped up, just to see
      what their real-life counterparts did. And while the Victorian slang
      he uses in the dialogue was a little challenging at times, it added
      to the authenticity of the era and made the story that much more
      engrossing..."

      http://tinyurl.com/n6ry44v

      *

      Anyone for cabbage hurling? here is a report on a new Roundworld
      pastime that sounds like it would go well on the Sto Plains:

      "The hurlers are based on trebuchets, weapons used to fling
      projectiles in the Middle Ages. Inventor John Ward made a pair for
      the World Cabbage Hurling Championships, being held in Lincolnshire.
      It is part of the two-day Holbeach Town and Country Fayre, which
      started on Saturday. The hurlers, named Spotted Hen and Spotted
      Dick, threw cabbages over a distance of 230ft (70m) in tests. Mr
      Ward then adapted them so they are less dangerous and only hurl the
      cabbages about 98ft (30m)... Mr Ward said the hurling championships
      promoted Lincolnshire products, with more than 200 cabbages being
      supplied free of charge by a local farmer. 'Most fresh vegetables
      found in shops and supermarkets will have come from Lincolnshire,
      plus those to the frozen food industry as well,' said Mr Ward.
      'We've got cabbages in Lincolnshire and what better way to get them
      to your customer than using a trebuchet...'"

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-22907378

      *

      If an extended and very x-rated version of the Hedgehog Song lyrics
      is your thing, Christine Stromberg can oblige you. Don't say you
      weren't warned:

      http://tinyurl.com/l4wa8ab

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) 2013 PRATCHETT PRIZE WINNER ANNOUNCED

      As announced by Lynsey of Transworld:

      "The Winner of the 2013 Terry Pratchett First Novel Award is...

      "Alexander Maskill with The Hive!

      "Terry had this to say: '2013's shortlisted novels were of an
      exceptionally high standard. It was remarkably difficult to choose
      just one winner but we felt that Alexander Maskill's The Hive was a
      unique and original take on Man vs. Technology in an altered future.
      Alex has a promising future for one whose first attempt at writing a
      novel has won him the prize!'

      "Congratulations to all short-listed authors and to Alex!"

      From the SFX blog:

      "The winner is 21 year old Alexander Maskill with his entry The
      Hive. The prize is a £20,000 publishing contract (wow!) and the
      lad, who's in the middle of his exams at the university of
      Leicester, had this to say: 'I'm incredibly thankful for the
      opportunity the folks at Transworld have given me. I was up against
      some amazing writers on the shortlist and I'm still reeling from the
      fact that my story was chosen for the award. I'm really looking
      forward to working with such a great team to get The Hive published
      and out into the world.'... Sir Terry Pratchett was joined by a team
      of judges including Rob Wilkins, Alex Veasey from Forbidden Planet
      and an editor and publicist from Transworld. Alexander Maskill's
      book takes us to New Cairo, a city built on technology, as it deals
      with a computer virus spreading through the poorest districts
      shutting down the life-giving implants..."

      The page features a photo of Sir Pterry, in a fetching coachman's
      hat, presenting the award.

      www.sfx.co.uk/2013/06/03/the-hive-wins-2013-terry-pratchett-prize/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      A (the?) molecular trigger for Alzheimer's has been identified. It's
      a start...

      "For the first time, scientists at Cambridge's Department of
      Chemistry have been able to map in detail the pathway that generates
      'aberrant' forms of proteins which are at the root of
      neurodegenerative conditions such as Alzheimer's. They believe the
      breakthrough is a vital step closer to increased capabilities for
      earlier diagnosis of neurological disorders such as Alzheimer's and
      Parkinson's, and opens up possibilities for a new generation of
      targeted drugs, as scientists say they have uncovered the earliest
      stages of the development of Alzheimer's that drugs could possibly
      target. The study, published today in the Proceedings of the
      National Academy of Sciences, is a milestone in the long-term
      research established in Cambridge by Professor Christopher Dobson
      and his colleagues, following the realisation by Dobson of the
      underlying nature of protein 'misfolding' and its connection with
      disease over 15 years ago.

      "The research is likely to have a central role to play in diagnostic
      and drug development for dementia-related diseases, which are
      increasingly prevalent and damaging as populations live longer.
      'There are no disease modifying therapies for Alzheimer's and
      dementia at the moment, only limited treatment for symptoms. We have
      to solve what happens at the molecular level before we can progress
      and have real impact,' said Dr Tuomas Knowles, lead author of the
      study and long-time collaborator of Professor Dobson. 'We've now
      established the pathway that shows how the toxic species that cause
      cell death, the oligomers, are formed. This is the key pathway to
      detect, target and intervene – the molecular catalyst that
      underlies the pathology'...

      "The new work, in large part carried out by researcher Samuel Cohen,
      shows that once a small but critical level of malfunctioning protein
      'clumps' have formed, a runaway chain reaction is triggered that
      multiplies exponentially the number of these protein composites,
      activating new focal points through 'nucleation'. It is this
      secondary nucleation process that forges juvenile tendrils,
      initially consisting of clusters that contain just a few protein
      molecules. Small and highly diffusible, these are the 'toxic
      oligomers' that careen dangerously around the brain cells, killing
      neurons and ultimately causing loss of memory and other symptoms of
      dementia..."

      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130520154217.htm

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      O7) THINGS PRATCHETT FANS SAY

      Dan Carver says...
      Pratchett's pages are full of warmth, magic and wonder whereas mine
      revel in science-gone-wrong and human corruption. However, I rate
      the man both as a writer and as a decent bloke. His books brim with
      wit and a colossal level of invention. I admire his energy and I
      wish him well with his current health problems.

      Dionte Ross says...
      Dear Sir Terry Prattchett. I love your work and think you are easily
      one of the bets writers of the ages. Your book offer a new,
      interesting world away from our dull 'normal' world. But I have only
      one protest. In your Series of the Wee Free Men, you frustratingly
      led me to believe that Roland and Tiffany would end up marrying!!
      Although I admire the way that you strayed away from the normal
      matchmaking that other authors use, this thoroughly annoy me and I
      hope that if you ever write another book for that series that you
      have the decency to have Tiffany and Preston to end up being
      married. Ok now that, that's off my chest I would just like to
      finish by saying your a great author and you have been my
      inspiration for writing ever since I read your first book -
      coincidently "Wee Free Men".

      Hanraa Haa says...
      So much praise for long earth, I'm reading it currently and have
      been swept away... can't wait to read the next one!

      Alice Fretkowiak says...
      Thank you for all books, for your philosophy, which helps me dealing
      with my life and my depression. You are my master, my teacher and
      I'm grateful for that. All my family and me, of course, love you so
      much! Take care of yourself!

      Michal Sliwinski says...
      My name is Aleksandra, writing from Poland ( I'm using my son's
      facebook) Thank you for three witches - I absolutely love Gytha Ogg,
      Esmeralda Weatherwax and Magrat. They are so real - the best woman
      characters ever. And of course Sam Vimes and his team - excellent
      idea !!! Best Wishes from Poland

      William Duncan says...
      I wish to thank you for your writing. I grew up reading your books,
      I carried them to war in Iraq in a footlocker (worth the effort).
      Later, I carried them in Afghanistan and once more as I head
      overseas I find myself making sure that I have your books loaded on
      my nook. When times are at their worst and stress at its height, I
      find immersing myself is another world to be like a glass of cold
      water on a hot day. Refreshing and relaxing with plenty of chuckles,
      thank you.

      Megan Lavin says...
      My partner who doesn't really know Terry Pratchett, but knows I
      listen to his books all the time, was one day looking for a movie
      for us to watch. As he likes westerns, he chose one and asked: "Do
      you know 'Death Rides a Horse'? I said "Yes, he's white and his name
      in Binky". I laughed on my own for ages.

      8.1 WYRD SISTERS IN TRURO, CORNWALL

      Veryan Players of Truro will present their production of Wyrd
      Sisters, directed by Father Douglas Robins, in July and August.

      When: Thursdays and Fridays, 25/26 July and 1/2 August 2013
      Venue: Portscatho Memorial Hall, Truro, Cornwall, UK
      Time: 8 pm.
      Tickets: £6.00. Tickets can be reserved by phone – 01872 501670 –
      or by emailing fatherdougrobins@...

      8.2 WYRD SISTERS IN CHICAGO

      The MorBacon Theatre Company is putting on a production of Terry
      Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters in July, having made their $5,000
      Kickstarter goal for the project. Watch this space for updates!

      When: last two weeks of July 2013
      Venue: Side Project Theatre, 1439 W. Jarvis Avenue, Rogers Park,
      Chicago IL 60626
      Tickets: "will go on sale as it gets closer to the performance"

      http://tinyurl.com/b89w7fl

      8.3 REMINDER: CARPE JUGULUM IN CARDIFF

      Monstrous Productions Theatre Company, "A Cardiff based theatre
      company that solely performs plays by Terry Pratchett to raise money
      for Alzheimer's Research UK", will be presenting their production of
      Carpe Jugulum in the last week of this month.

      When: 26th–29th June 2013
      Venue: The Gate Arts Centre, Keppoch Street, Cardiff (on the right-
      hand side on the corner of Plasnewydd Square)
      Time: 7pm
      Tickets: £8 (£6 concession), now available. "There is a booking
      fee for online transactions- this is just to cover PayPal fees so
      that the full cost of your ticket can be donated to Alzheimer's
      Research UK. If you wish to reserve one of the limited amount of
      tickets that will be held on the door, or pay by bank transfer or
      cheque please email monstrousproductions2012@...". To buy
      tickets, go to:
      http://7889269b08cd.fikket.com/

      Remember, all proceeds from the performances will be donated to
      Alzheimer's Research UK.

      http://www.monstrousptc.com/

      Finding the venue, parking, public transport and other info:

      http://www.thegate.org.uk/about/findus/

      8.4 AFTERWARDS: WYRD SISTERS IN WARSAW

      As you may remember from last month's Discworld Plays News section,
      the University of Warsaw's theatre group "The Cheerful Hamlets" were
      on course to present their production of Wyrd Sisters on the 1st and
      15th of June. And indeed they did, and it went very well. Here is a
      review of the opening night. Apparently, the play was performed in
      English; the review, sadly for those of us who don't know Polish, is
      not. So get your translator-bots out, but if you don't have a
      Polish-English translator handy, you can still enjoy the many photos
      of the production. Looks like it was great fun!

      http://dyskowe.info/gallery/wyrd-sisters-w-centrum-lowicka/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

      9.1 GERMAN DISCWORLD CONVENTION POSTPONEMENT

      Owing to a lack of castle, the 2013 German Discworld Convention has
      been cancelled, which is to say postponed:

      "The castle that we booked has a new management and recently
      communicated its new, drastically altered conditions to us. Sadly
      these leave us with no other option than postponing the convention
      to 2015 and move to a new castle. The good news is that we have
      found a new, way better castle with an obliging management. Pictures
      of the new castle will be posted on our facebook page."
      https://www.facebook.com/ScheibenweltConvention

      9.2 DWCON 2014 NEWS

      Again, the posted prices:

      Early Bird price, valid to 30th June 2013
      Full Price £54, Concession £39

      1st July - 31st Dec 2013
      Full Price £59, Concession £43

      From 1st January 2014
      Full Price £65, Concession £50

      All dates
      Supporting Membership £25
      Children under 13 at time of Convention Free of Charge (membership
      required)

      http://dwcon.org/pages/41/membership

      http://dwcon.org/

      9.3 NINEWORLDS INCLUDES THE DISCWORLD

      There is a "Discworld track" at the Nine Worlds Geekfest 2013, with
      special guests Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen:

      "Eunice Hung fell in love in books, in particular the works of Terry
      Pratchett, at a young age and hasn't stopped consuming them
      voraciously since. So much so, that she later decided to drop
      Psychology to do a Creative Writing degree (against the sage advice
      of her mother) and has been steadily absorbed into geekdom at a
      rapidly increasing speed ever since. If you love to geek out, she's
      happy to listen!"

      Email:
      discworld@...

      http://nineworlds.co.uk/track/discworld

      About the convention:

      "Nine Worlds is a new convention in London, UK, 9–11 August 2013.
      It's about gaming, film, cosplay, fandom, literature, science, geek
      culture, meeting people and having a really big party.

      "So, you might be wondering, what's this 'Nine Worlds' thing people
      are talking about? Well, we're a group of sci-fi convention fans
      putting together a weekend-long, multi-genre, residential GeekFest
      in London next summer, on August 9th-11th. We've named it Nine
      Worlds GeekFest. The idea behind Nine Worlds is to create a large
      fan-run multi-genre geek event in London. For years we've been going
      to huge US sci-fi cons like Dragon*Con and GenCon and SDCC, and we
      got to wondering why nothing like that exists in the UK. France can
      drum up over 20,000 sci-fi fans for Utopiales, even Finland can find
      15,000 fans for FinnCon. But when it comes to large fan-driven
      residential multi-genre sci-fi cons in the UK, pickings are pretty
      slim... Some of our GeekFest Tracks are being run as mini-cons in
      their own right under the Nine Worlds umbrella, and some are run as
      discussion streams hosting conversations on aspects of particular
      fandoms..."

      http://nineworlds.co.uk/about

      Ticket sales deadlines:

      June 1-July 30, – £85 (Regular rate)
      Aug 1 - Aug 8, – £95 (Late rate)
      Aug 9 + 10, – £99 (Door price)

      http://nineworlds.co.uk/tickets

      9.4 WADFEST 2013

      Wadfest 2013 happens from 9th - 11th August 2013 at Wood Green
      Animal Shelter, King's Bush Farm, London Road, Godmanchester,
      Cambridgeshire, PE29 2NH. Tickets are £20 each.

      http://www.wadfest.co.uk

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS

      The Pratchett Partisans are a new fan group who meet monthly at
      either Brisbane or Indooroopilly to "eat, drink and chat about all
      things Pratchett". For more info about their next meetup, go to

      http://www.meetup.com/Pratchett-Partisans/

      or contact Ula directly at uwilmott@...

      *

      The City of Small Gods Terry Pratchett Fan Club is a group for fans
      in Adelaide and South Australia. TCoSGTPFC meets on the last
      Thursday of the month from 6.30pm at the Ed Castle, 233 Currie St.
      Their next meeting will be on Thursday 27th June. Details,
      discussions and organisation of extra events (e.g. as play outings)
      can be found via their email mailing list; to sign up, go to:

      https://groups.google.com/group/adelaide-discworld-fans

      *

      The Broken Vectis Drummers meet on the first Thursday of every month
      from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. The next
      meeting will probably be on Thursday 4th July 2013, but do email
      (see below) to check. All new members and curious passersby are very
      welcome! For more info and any queries, contact:

      broken_vectis_drummers@...

      *

      The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets on the first
      Friday of every month at the famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
      Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome! The next WOTS meeting will
      (probably) be on Friday 5th July 2013.

      *

      The next meeting of the Broken Drummers, London's original Discworld
      meeting group, will be from 7pm on Monday 1st July at the Monkey
      Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ. Note the new web
      address:

      http://brokendrummers.org/

      Here be their June 2013 meet report:

      "We had a good turnout, including 3 Americans who had deliberately
      scheduled their holiday so that they could come to Drummers. Tere
      informed me that she got into Discworld after attending a signing
      with a friend who went to school with Terry Pratchett. We also had
      another new member, Mark. Chris and Eunice are preparing for the
      Nine Worlds Geekfest, which sounds great (I only wish it didn't
      clash with Wadfest). Chris is also preparing for a whole host of
      Discworld events around the globe that I didn't even know existed.
      There was a brief period of hilarity when Lord Vetinari was spotted
      leaning out of the window of one of the flats opposite using a
      mobile phone. The resemblance was uncanny and a couple of attempts
      were made to take a picture but sadly the camera phones didn't have
      a good enough zoom. You'll just have to take my word for it. Tim W
      was unable to make it with a quiz but Eunice did bring Discworld
      Fiasco. There was much speculation about Tim's whereabouts,
      including the suggestion that he was unable to make it because he is
      the new Doctor. He did attempt to email me the quiz but we were
      unable to open the file so we will save it until next time."

      For more information write to BrokenDrummers@... or
      nicholls.helen@...

      *

      The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
      Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, have been meeting on a regular
      basis since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood
      (presumably not in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists
      normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, N
      Yorks, to discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes
      and raffles.

      Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
      Discworld Stamps forum:

      http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

      *

      Drummers Downunder meet on the first Monday of every month in Sydney
      at Maloneys, corner of Pitt & Goulburn Streets, at 6.30pm. The next
      meeting will (probably) be on Monday 1st July 2013. For more
      information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax):

      kenworthys@...

      *

      Perth Drummers meet on the traditional date of first Monday of the
      month, from 6pm at The Vic Hotel, 226 Hay St, Subiaco. The next
      meeting should be on Monday 1st July 2013. For more information
      contact:

      Daniel Hatton at daniel_j_hatton@...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) ACTION REPLAY: THE ANKH-MORPORK ANTHEM

      The Ankh-Morpork national anthem, sung by soprano Clare Rutter
      backed by the BBC Orchestra conducted by Carl Davis, never gets old:

      http://tinyurl.com/kc7qjln

      A feast for the eyes this month.

      Moving pictures – of a picture! The making of Paul Kidby's
      fabulous giant Great A'Tuin painting, as a video:

      http://tinyurl.com/lkz7rdm

      Granny takes a trip...to a Roundworld witching supplies shop:

      http://tinyurl.com/n2765un

      A simply amazing Luggage cake from fan Juliet Taylor's Discworld-
      themed BBQ party:

      http://tinyurl.com/kbnf66f

      ...which looks equally delicious on the inside. No lavender-scented
      laundry (or dead villains and such) in sight though:

      http://tinyurl.com/khfnvsq

      Death stalks the opera!

      http://tinyurl.com/nxyc2ec

      Warning notice from the forthcoming Clacks boardgame:

      http://tinyurl.com/mnmjdxt

      Very good tattoo interpretation of a certain Feegle chieftain:

      http://tinyurl.com/kkzhtwo

      I Can Has Cheezburger goes Discworld:

      http://icanhas.cheezburger.com/share/7534536448

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

      Blogger Dab of Darkness hails the Tiffany Aching books and aHFoS in
      particular:

      "I truly believe that these books, the Tiffany Aching saga, are
      Terry Pratchett's best Discworld books. In fact, you don't
      really need to know anything about Discworld in order to enjoy these
      books. The Feegles, or Wee Free Men, that we met in Book 1 are back
      in Book 2, causing mayhem, misdirection, and the occasional
      questionable humor. I believe the humorous and serious notes of this
      book are even better balanced than Book 1, The Wee Free Men. Tiffany
      is 11 in this book, and her grandmother has been dead and buried for
      some years, yet she still has a strong presence in Tiffany's mind.
      Mistress Weatherwax, who showed up at the end of Book 1, has a much
      greater role in Book 2, and there is even bonding over pickles and
      voles..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cyhvaeq

      Blogger Rosemarie Cawkwell was transported by TSoD4:

      "I thought 'I'll just read a bit, I need to finish it before
      Thursday'; the afternoon disappeared. If that's not the best
      compliment to a book I don't know a greater one... With wizards,
      gods, fractious priests and angry librarians, the short story is a
      very entertaining addition to the Discworld canon. However it is the
      joint author's use of this allegory to illustrate the workings of
      the real world that makes this book such a worthwhile read. They
      make difficult concepts, if not simple, then easier to understand,
      are open about the uncertainty inherent in science and explain how
      different ways if thinking, analytical, universe centred versus
      faith based, human centred thinking, causes so much conflict. The
      writing style is accessible and the authors try to explain technical
      terminology, crediting their readers with enough intelligence to
      make the necessary mental leaps..."

      http://tinyurl.com/lew4m3w

      Blogger JR Barker was very pleased by The Long Earth:

      "I wasn't blown away by this book, not in a sense that it wasn't
      brilliant, because I did absolutely love it, just that it was an
      incredibly gently paced story. It took its time and matured like a
      fine wine or cheese. As a result it was actually a very relaxing
      read. It started off in a bit of a disjointed fashion, depicting
      scenarios and snippets of information from certain walks of life,
      which gradually gelled together to create a more detailed image of
      what the world might be like if there suddenly endless earths. I
      found it to be extremely readable and (without giving too much away)
      refreshing to have an ever present evil that turned out not to be
      evil at all..."

      http://tinyurl.com/n83lhwo

      On the Everyday Reader blog, Sarah J Lisle reviews A Blink of the
      Screen:

      "A Blink of the Screen: Collected Shorter Fiction offers real die-
      hard Discworld fans a chance to see some of the more obscure odds-
      and-bobs he's produced, while the rest of us can soak in some
      really quite good non-Discworld short fiction. A Blink of the Screen
      shows that Pratchett's flair for the written word doesn't end
      with the Discworld. The short pieces come in a variety of forms –
      from poetry to board game write ups. Although I think some of the
      included pieces, especially in the Discworld section, were really
      just fluff (such as a 1 and a half page speech written from the
      perspective of Lord Vetinari on the twinning of Ankh-Morpork and
      Wincanton) it's not necessarily bad fluff and the gems make the
      whole book worth it...

      http://tinyurl.com/l3l35cv

      Blogger Sarah's loving and articulate review of Dodger:

      "From the off, it is obvious that this novel was set in Dickensian
      London – a fact which should be obvious given the title and main
      character, who was one of Dickens' many creation – and I
      resolved not to search for the outlandish, farcical elements of
      Discworld in Dodger. It is important that any previous fans of
      Terry Pratchett become comfortable with this idea before they dive
      into the murky sewers and shadowy corners of Dodger's London,
      because this novel is quite different from Pratchett's hilarious
      fantasies, though it does retain his warm humor and wry view of
      humanity... Occasionally the main character seemed a little too
      smooth and unnaturally lucky, but the somber and often enlightening
      presence of his wise landlord Solomon served well to keep the tale
      from losing its grip on the reader. While the book is an enjoyably
      easy read, it makes gentle observations of poverty and misery which
      would make Mayhew proud; and indeed, it is to Henry Mayhew that
      Terry Pratchett has dedicated his book.

      "In his acknowledgements Pratchett describes Dodger as 'a
      historical fantasy, and not a historical novel,' and while there
      is no magic of the hocus-pocus variety to be found, the fantasy
      comes in a form I can only describe as a historically-minded
      literature nerd's daydream. Characters from Victorian legend,
      literary giants, and historical figures all mingle together in this
      atmospheric mystery story. It's got adventure, romance, and a
      wink or two from the author to his readers as he sends his hapless
      protagonist to Fleet Street for a shave or places the young vagabond
      next to Sir Robert Peel at a dinner party. I was so fully absorbed
      into the story as it twisted through the sewers and streets of
      London that I didn't have time to miss the oddities of the
      Discworld novels; Dodger may not be as funny, but on a dark October
      night it is the perfect book for history and literature
      enthusiasts..."

      http://tinyurl.com/l8hq4xk

      Blogger Nadine was won over to Discworld as a result of reading The
      Last Hero:

      "It took me a while to warm to Pratchett's humor, or rather I
      never really liked the earlier Discworld novels. With The Last Hero
      I found myself chuckling on every page and reading random passages
      to my boyfriend out loud because they wanted to be shared and
      laughed about. What I enjoyed was the range of humor. You get silly
      one-liners, clever wordplay, and most of all jibes at the job of
      being a Hero. This is Discworld doing what it does best, subverting
      the fantasy genre by turning it on its head, laughing at it, and
      sometimes just rolling with it because, hey, we all love the genre
      with all its tropes and bumps and problems... especially the
      storyline about Cohen the Barbarian and his gang, all old men by
      now, wearing the gear and garments of their younger selves (which
      makes for hilarious images, as you can imagine), talk about what
      being a hero means. After they got everything they ever wanted,
      ended up rich, with families and comfortable lives to lead, there is
      still something missing. It was these scenes that gave the book a
      nice balance between silly and serious, and it is for this balance
      that I have come to love Discworld to death. Speaking of which –
      of course he makes an appearance, in text as well as art. There
      wasn't a single page I didn't thoroughly enjoy and even though
      Rincewind and Captain Carrot are well-known characters with their
      own sub-series, I would say this is a good novel to start if you
      haven't read any Discworld yet..."

      http://tinyurl.com/n8mko9m

      Blogger vacuouswastrel is back with a critique of Sourcery:

      "Well, to me, Sourcery seems like Pratchett wanted to go back to The
      Light Fantastic and apply some of what he'd learnt in the
      meantime. It's able to capture some of the anarchic joy of The
      Colour of Magic, while still having some of the greater depth and
      emotional resonance of Equal Rites and Mort. Unfortunately, this is
      also the book's biggest flaw. Nobody thinks of this as their
      favourite Discworld book, because it's so completely forgettable
      – it's basically just the same story as The Light Fantastic,
      only a good deal better. It feels entirely familiar in plot, in
      character, and in style... The big plus of this book, though, is
      that it's fun. It's not quite as out-of-control as The Colour of
      Magic, but it's bursting with wit, erudition, literary references,
      and genuine humour. It's not hilarious – maybe not even as funny
      as Mort, with much of the humour aiming at sly and witty chuckle,
      rather than laugh-out-loud – but it's still a joy to read. By
      the standards of Pratchett, though, this book is a failure. It's
      not his best, and to be honest it's probably a step down from
      Mort..."

      http://tinyurl.com/kn36dt2

      Blogger Andre thoroughly approved of The Long Earth:

      "The Long Earth, a novel with 'hard' SF author Stephen Baxter
      about a chain of parallel Earths, is not as knockabout as Discworld
      and yet it has one of Pratchett's most hilarious characters.
      Douglas Adams would have been proud to have created Lobsang, the
      artificial intelligence who claims to have been reincarnated from a
      Tibetan motorcyle repairman... The co-writing between Pratchett and
      Baxter feels smooth as the authors adroitly handle quantum theory
      while focusing on individual families as they seek out new
      frontiers. The impact is also being felt on the original Earth –
      now known as Datum Earth – as people leave or step back into
      places they shouldn't. No doubt certain newspapers would bemoan
      the effect on house prices. While the authors enjoy creating these
      parallel worlds and exploring the consequences, they don't forget
      to create an engaging hero..."

      http://tinyurl.com/k4xakes

      ...and blogger Alex Willging has mixed feelings about Soul Music:

      "For the most part, I liked the parts of this story that had to do
      with Susan, being her debut novel. She's a very logical person
      trying to deal with all the irrational and mythical elements of her
      grandfather's world. Her conversations with the Death of Rats and
      the raven are always engaging, with her as the straight man to their
      wisecracks. Even Death's assistant Albert gets a semi-heroic role
      near the climax, though he's mostly a cynical housekeeper with
      sardonic commentary. That said, when it came to musician characters
      like Imp and his band mates, I wasn't that drawn in. Yes, Cliff
      the troll is pretty articulate and thoughtful (for a troll), but
      Glod is a one-note dwarf character about gold and poor bargaining
      skills. Imp–later known as Buddy–is less of a character and
      more of a walking plot device. Their conflict with the Musicians'
      Guild is a little interesting at first, though it gets old pretty
      quick. As much as I enjoy Mr. Pratchett's wit, I found myself
      groaning at the sheer number of puns and allusions in this book..."

      http://rhapsodistreviews.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/soul_music/

      And that's all for the moment. Fourecks, the Land of Fog and Tezuma
      are having their longest winter nights, and everywhere else is
      celebrating the passing of the summer solstice with very late
      evening drinks and other summery pastimes. Wherever you are on
      Roundworld, enjoy your significant change of season! We'll see you
      again at the end of this month or soon after that...

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...